Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Mistake!

Re: Stupid Mistake!

One of many reasons I use luminous orange balls these days.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.4

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    My mate didn't punch him (mistake #4).
    Slinfold Golf & Country Club (Handicap 20). Callaway driver, woods and hybrids. Ping irons. Callaway wedges. Odyssey putter. Srixon balls.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Kid View Post
    Our irritation was compounded by us having scored a grand total of 11 stableford points over the first 8 holes (we had got well wrecked in the hotel the night before and so had minging hangovers) - and so when my mate hit the green we were well relieved...and then...
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Head Pro

Cruel example I have of this:

We were playing as a fourball, and one of my FCs hit his ball OOB. I lent him my spare ball and he striped it down the fairway. The four of us walked down, I went to "my ball", and noted that it had my marking. After I played it, the chap I'd lent the ball to announced that the ball he was at wasn't his. Sure enough, I had checked for my personal mark but still managed to play the ball I'd lent to my mate. We still joke about it years later - if he ever needs to borrow a second ball, he ain't getting mine!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

I played with a guy at the club and recalled him calling out on the 1st tee how he marked his ball - and I noted that it was of a sort that I hadn't tried before. A few days later - blundering about the rough looking for my ball - I happened upon what I was sure was one belonging to my friend of a few days before - and so looked forward to trying it out. He was in the clubhouse. I said that I think I had found a ball of his. He looked at it - said thankyou - and stuck it in his pocket...
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Head Pro

I always mark my ball. Cracked it into the woods off the tee. Strode in and found it, same ball, same markings. Knocked it out, onto the green, marked and picked it up to clean it, only to realise, exactly the same type of ball, same markings, but not my ball............

Club Champion

Yes similar. I was helping my mate out for a rabbits match for Ashburnham Golf Club away to Cardigan Golf Club. We all teed off, all pretty much in the fairway and I was the furthest so was standing by my ball watching the other players approach shots into the green. My mate hit a decent shot but run off the back of the green. The other two chaps from Cardigan hit theirs, one was wild and the other was about 20 yards short. So I play mine just right of the green.

As me and my mate walk ahead to our balls, he suddenly stops at the ball 20 yards short of the green. So I say "Paul thats not your ball mate, yours went over the back." to which he replies "Hmm I think it is", I argue and urge him to just check it, but nope he doesn't really check, then chips on to the green. Gets on the green, marks 'his' ball, picks it up..... "F***.. this isn't my ball?" 1 down after 1

Journeyman Pro

The one time it has happened to me I did not realise until I was on the green (same make of ball) and no one else was around. Then I remembered the last person of our group was forced to wait to drive as someone came across from the adjoining fairway to play a ball.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

If the rest of my group are using a particular brand (usually either Titleist or Callaway, Srixon) I'll make sure I use different make (Vice, TM etc) or make it clear it's a different ball so use a yellow model or a Truvis. I wish I'd put that rather joined up thinking into action before my unfortunate mistake. Lesson learned

You're not a golfer if you have never played a wrong ball. Most people only do it once. Mine have my daughter's name printed on them.
    Handicap: