Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Mistake!

Stupid Mistake!

Was playing in a Stableford competition today at my club and doing OK after seven holes ... playing to my handicap. Then an incident occurred which cost me a blob and, frustratingly, I let it derail my round. I drove off and landed on the fairway and then hit my second shot to within a wedge’s length of the green. When I looked down to play my third shot, I realised it wasn’t my ball! The only explanation would seem to be that there was a rogue ball on the fairway - possibly a wayward drive from the parallel fairway - sitting in the area where my drive had landed and I hadn’t noticed that it was the wrong ball when I played my second shot. My fault I know ... but easy to do when you think you know where the ball has landed, even if it is lying with only white showing (i.e. no markings showing). Note to self ... ALWAYS CHECK!

Anyway, I was pleased that I called it and didn’t for a moment think about finishing the hole with the wrong ball and then switching. But I shouldn’t have let it get to me and derail my round.

Anybody else done something similar? Or committed some other basic beginner’s error?
    Slinfold Golf & Country Club (Handicap 20). Callaway driver, woods and hybrids. Ping irons. Callaway wedges. Odyssey putter. Srixon balls.

Journeyman Pro

Re: Stupid Mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Kid View Post
    Was playing in a Stableford competition today at my club and doing OK after seven holes ... playing to my handicap. Then an incident occurred which cost me a blob and, frustratingly, I let it derail my round. I drove off and landed on the fairway and then hit my second shot to within a wedge’s length of the green. When I looked down to play my third shot, I realised it wasn’t my ball! The only explanation would seem to be that there was a rogue ball on the fairway - possibly a wayward drive from the parallel fairway - sitting in the area where my drive had landed and I hadn’t noticed that it was the wrong ball when I played my second shot. My fault I know ... but easy to do when you think you know where the ball has landed, even if it is lying with only white showing (i.e. no markings showing). Note to self ... ALWAYS CHECK!

Anyway, I was pleased that I called it and didn’t for a moment think about finishing the hole with the wrong ball and then switching. But I shouldn’t have let it get to me and derail my round.

Anybody else done something similar? Or committed some other basic beginner’s error?
    Did this several times .
    Now I mark my ball both sides so one is always visible.
    Now I always check.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Chic Murray made the observation on stupid mistakes that it is rare that we make clever mistakes
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Challenge Tour Pro

Nearly made that mistake myself on Saturday. Hit my drive then a hybrid which came up about 30 yards short of the green. Hit a good pitch to about 4 feet, then panicked as I looked across and saw another ball. I had hit mine without checking, but fortunately the other ball was the rogue one that had come over from the adjacent fairway.

Like mentioned above, will always ensure my ball is marked on both sides now. I usually do that but hadn't with that ball.
    In the bag: TM M1 10.5 Driver; Callaway Rogue 3 Wood; TM M4 19 degree hybrid; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 15.6

Yup, me too. Played my pp ball last year in a comp. Same brand, same area so i didn't check. I do now 😁. I have a selection of brands in my bag and try to avoid what my pp use now to make life easier.

Happened to me on saturday on the 1st hole , drove off first and was on left hand side of fairway, mate drove off but didn't see his. Got to where I thought my ball was and played it as my mate was walking down the rough on the left hand side looking for his ball . He then saw a ball up ahead and yes it was mine as his had hit tree and come out. Both were playing Titleist's 4's but with different markings . Went on to shoot 36 with another blob

Assistant Pro

Is there the option to go back to your ball and play from there?
    Does any particular rule cover this scenario?

I also mark my ball in two places ... two red dots over each Srixon logo. However, the logos are not diametrically opposed and so it is possible for the ball to land with both almost hidden from view. The lesson is clearly, if in doubt, check!
    Slinfold Golf & Country Club (Handicap 20). Callaway driver, woods and hybrids. Ping irons. Callaway wedges. Odyssey putter. Srixon balls.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
    Is there the option to go back to your ball and play from there?
    Does any particular rule cover this scenario?
    I believe so, although the next group had already driven off. I didn’t as the penalty would almost certainly have meant a blob anyway, so I just accepted that.

Did it last week in a comp, probably cost me buffer.

Annoyingly my actual ball was lying much better then one I played.
    Handicap: 12 > 11