Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: England Summer Test Series

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    I think Ireland will be very competitive against the sides you named. My concern will be how they will fare on the sub-continent in particular. A steep learning curve I fear in the away series but a very promising opening performance.
    Most non sub-continent teams struggle on the sub-continent. So Ireland wouldnt be alone on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongo View Post
    Carting sixes on decks prepared for big hitting is one thing but facing Amir and Abbas and the moving ball on english decks that will more than likely offer something for the bowlers is completely different. Pakistan will quite happily concede a few boundaries to Buttler if they get him out early.

For me Foakes should have been picked instead of Buttler. But he's not playing in the IPL so doesnt get noticed.
    I agree. Flat wickets, short boundaries and field restrictions do flatter IPL batsmen. Fkes should have been given a go ahead of Buttler. Esp given he did nothing wrong on tour in the winter. He got some good runs in the warm up matches.
    H.cap 5.8,

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

I dont tbink Buttler is a bad choice - couple years back he was brought in to bat at 7 and did a good job but then they went to Ali , I think he will do a good job and woild actually like to see Bairstow moved up and Buttler given the gloves

So will we beat the Aussies. I guess that's the burning question. If so, where do you see England being stronger and if not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    So will we beat the Aussies. I guess that's the burning question. If so, where do you see England being stronger and if not, why not?
    dont think i can think of a less anticipated series against the aussies, yet another endless odi series shoehorned into the fixture list to line the ECB coffers and compromising 2 cracking series against Pakistan and India and making them both shorter than ideal, against an aussie side missing 3 of their top order and in complete disarray
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

I would have loved to see us take a huge plunge on Virdi from Surrey. He's started the season incredibly well and on seamer friendly tracks. It was never going to happen as it's not the English way of doing things. We will have to coach him a new action first !!!! How Stoneman got in I'm not so sure, as many a wiser person than me has said ."it's harder to get out of the England team than get in it"
    2016: 12.7,12.4,11.8,11.6,11.7.11.8,11.8,11.4,11.5,11.5, 11.6,11.7,10.3,10.4,10.5,10.5,9.9
    2017: 9.9,10.0,10.1,10.2,10.3,10.4,9.6,9.4,9.5,9.6,9.7,9 .8,9.9.9.9,10.0,10.0
    AR: 11.0
    2018: 11.1,11.2,11.3,11.3,11.3,11.3,11.4,11.5,11.5

Stoneman has gone early through the gate. Should a test opener really be getting bowled like that? As an opening batsman I expect them to get out caught behind, not in front of the wicket, or LBW. Getting bowled off the front foot is not good.

Am I too old school in that view? Has the game moved on?
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Youre right its not good ,its not as if the ball did much as well , he really needs a big score in the next three innnings or he is done

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Stoneman has gone early through the gate. Should a test opener really be getting bowled like that? As an opening batsman I expect them to get out caught behind, not in front of the wicket, or LBW. Getting bowled off the front foot is not good.

Am I too old school in that view? Has the game moved on?
    Could as easily ask if a Test No:3 (and Captain) should be chasing such a wide delivery.

Whatever the answer it does appear that we are no nearer to solving our problems at the top of the order.

Tour Winner

Continuation of the shambles that was Oz and NZ over the winter!