Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

England Summer Test Series

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44105904

Really chuffed they are giving Bess a go since Leach got injured instead of going back to Ali

Surprised Stoneman survived but interested to see where they play Buttler and Bairstow
    "It's called golf because all the other four letter words were already taken"

Re: England Summer Test Series

Mutterings yesterday that Bairstow would open. If that is the case then Buttler would surely keep wicket.

Big series for Cook. He needs to do something or the bell may be ringing on his test career.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Tour Rookie

Feel sorry for Vince, did exactly what he was asked to do back in county cricket.
    2017,18 year of the nomad.
    2012 - 16 Handicap 16.7, 15.0, 12.7, 12.6, 12.7
    Mizuno Woods, Hybrid & Irons
    Cleveland 588 RTX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58*
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 5 Putter
    http://www.royalwinchestergolfclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paperboy View Post
    Feel sorry for Vince, did exactly what he was asked to do back in county cricket.
    a few eye catching 90s in the IPHell worth more than runs in county cricket. feels very much like another shuffling of the pack with little direction to me, Bairstow going to get more responsibility (and end up batting too high for a keeper) Malan gets shuffled up to 3 (not sure this is ideal either) whilst we stick with Cook at the top (surely once you choose to leave Vince out moving Cook to 3 and trying a new opening pair wouldve been a decent option?)

so few of them are playign regular red ball cricket its really hard to know what the make up of the batting should be in this changing era

barely seen any of Bess in red ball cricket but find it hard to believe hes closed to the finished article after 16 games most of them not as the first choice spinner, pretty hefty baptism against a side that play spin as well as most, what it does is show just how empty the spin bowling cupboard is (Leach/Crane neither close to established both injured and Ali picking up a payday in India)
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Journeyman Pro

The Buttler selection is same old, same old. Player A does well in one format so he must be brilliant in another format too. A few weeks back there was plenty of chat about red ball cricket and white ball cricket almost becoming two different sports.

Dunno whether this is Ed Smith trying to look funky or just another case of plus ca change, plus ca meme chose.

Not quite sure how the likes of Foakes and Burns dont get a look in either.

Journeyman Pro

Meanwhile, fair play to Ireland for guttsing it out in their first test. Amir and Abbas are a decent duo, as England are going to find out.

Would be interesting to see how Ireland would get on against the likes of Sri Lanka, West Indies and Zimbabwe on Irish soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongo View Post
    Meanwhile, fair play to Ireland for guttsing it out in their first test. Amir and Abbas are a decent duo, as England are going to find out.

Would be interesting to see how Ireland would get on against the likes of Sri Lanka, West Indies and Zimbabwe on Irish soil.
    I think Ireland will be very competitive against the sides you named. My concern will be how they will fare on the sub-continent in particular. A steep learning curve I fear in the away series but a very promising opening performance.

Tour Winner

I would say the biggest concern for the selectors is the weather. If it's too hot then that could seriously affect the mental stability of the two volatile gingers!!!
    --------------------
    Handicap : 5 (5.4)

Titleist 915D2 9.5
    Adams Tight Lies 3 and 5 fairways
    Mizuno MP60 Irons 3-PW
    Titleist Vokey 52* & 60* Wedges
    Evnroll ER2

Doesn't say a lot for the county system when Buttler gets picked. I'm not sure where to stand on this. Obviously, Buttler is world class in white ball cricket, but do you give him a chance to make it at test cricket without earning his stripes on the county circuit ? FWIW I think he'll bat at 7 and Bairstowe will bat at 5. Its a shame Ball missed out after his start to the season.

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Bairstowe, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Broad, Bess, Anderson
    H.cap 5.8,

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Doesn't say a lot for the county system when Buttler gets picked. I'm not sure where to stand on this. Obviously, Buttler is world class in white ball cricket, but do you give him a chance to make it at test cricket without earning his stripes on the county circuit ? FWIW I think he'll bat at 7 and Bairstowe will bat at 5. Its a shame Ball missed out after his start to the season.

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Malan, Bairstowe, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Broad, Bess, Anderson
    Carting sixes on decks prepared for big hitting is one thing but facing Amir and Abbas and the moving ball on english decks that will more than likely offer something for the bowlers is completely different. Pakistan will quite happily concede a few boundaries to Buttler if they get him out early.

For me Foakes should have been picked instead of Buttler. But he's not playing in the IPL so doesnt get noticed.