Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Head Pro

Re: Doing your own DIY Car Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by adam6177 View Post
    I cant help thinking that the manufacturers have deliberately designed cars so they cannot be easily worked on.

In my old megane (2004) you needed to jack the car up and take off the wheels if you wanted to change the bulbs in the headlights - unless you could find someone with the slimmest arms ever.
    My old man and I spent a whole day trying the same, mine was a company car and I didn’t want to be the person to put it in the garage to replace the bulbs, (both of which went at the same time, and I couldn’t drive it home the night they went!), after a day of ripped arms and frustration, I had to put it in the garage. It turned out no-one could replace them, and the deal was amended to include these being replaced at Renult’s cost.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Many, many moons ago my dad had a minor brainstorm and after years of Ford Cortinas bought a Citroen ID19 (or was it a DS19 - can't recall). No matter - whichever variant - what an astonishing and beautiful car Until it went wrong and he decided to try and fix it him self. He took the engine out before deciding that he couldn't fix it - but couldn't work out how to get the engine back in again...problem was solved when a friend of his (a Citroen buff) bought the car and put it back together before driving it off. He then bought a Wolseley 18/85 (sublime to ridiculous styling-wise)
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 15-May-2018 at 14:17.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Journeyman Pro

In my lifetime I have stripped cars back to a chassis and several boxes of bits and rebuilt them.

The other day I was looking at my front lights and realised it was a complete assembly, changing a single bulb looks to be nigh on impossible.

I changed a bulb for my daughter at the weekend and had to take out the whole lighting unit to do it. No wonder she has been taking it in to a well known parts place when they have gone in the past.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Dolomite Sprint clutch; involved taking both front seats out and then the panel on the tunnel.

Regrind in new valves.

Motorbikes; everything. I used to buy old 70's/80's Jap bikes in the autumn, then rebuild them over the winter. Come spring time, when people were looking to buy their next bike, I'd be selling. First 1 was an Yam RD200, then it was a Suzuki GT380, BSA B40, Kawasaki Z650, Kawasaki 900, Honda CB400. All stripped right back to nuts and bolts then totally rebuilt. Best bargain was the GT380. It in pretty much pristine condition but wouldn't start. Took me about 15 mins to realise they had crossed the HT leads.
    Give it big humpties

Have always found it quite therapeutic maintaining/fixing my own vehicles... Did just about everything aside from welding... A 'dark art' I never managed to master...

Used to do a bit of racing and I always felt a bit of a sense of achievement when I got the tuning just right... Getting twin 40's balanced, in particular, was quite satisfying...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Can never be bothered with car DIY. Given me some wood, a saw, a plane, sandpaper, a screwdriver and some screws - that's just fine for me.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

I use to do the majority of my own car repairs, brakes , clutches, oil changes etc, but things are a bit too technical for me nowadays.
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5 oooops 17.1, 15.9

Journeyman Pro

Was going to change brake pads on my golf but you need the software to tell the car to release the handbrake while the cars stationary.

Modern cars are designed to be accessed from underneath , so you need a ramp or pit.

Tried to change the daytime running light bulb on my girls fiat 500 Jesus you need the arms of a five year old to get in the bulb holder.

A few years ago I decided to do a basic mechanic course as my local college. After the third week of being told that "this is a job that you can do but these parts never go wrong" or "this is not really a job that you can realistically tackle it's a garage job" I left the course.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

Head Pro

I'd love to do the hybrid check on my wife's Yaris at £45 :-( they don't have shiny showrooms for nothing.

brakes, oil and filter etc.
    Cat1 After 25 YEARS again 5.1 (FEB18) :-)

2018: 5.8 >
    2017: 8.1 > 5.8
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0 (16yrs in total away from the game)