Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Medal Rounds

Head Pro

Re: Medal Rounds

Quote Originally Posted by pauldj42 View Post
    Do people not see a link between those asking for advice, those trying to help and those saying it’s easy.
    Those who see no difference tend to be the single figure handicappers, YOU are the better players and were others strive to be, you have the ability and consistencey.

Those asking for help and those giving constructive advice tend to be the mid to high handicappers looking for help.

It’s not easy or simple, if it was we’d all be off scratch. Some find certain aspects of the game easier than others, some make the problems bigger than they need to be.

Maybe we should remember we are not all the same, different physique, age, years playing the game etc etc.

Sometimes it would be better if we read the op’s and understood what THEY are asking rather than what WE think they are asking.

Do you often wonder why threads go off track.
    I think you are probably right, Phil's post #12 pretty much covers it though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    I think you are probably right, Phil's post #12 pretty much covers it though.
    No it doesn’t mate, that’s my point, with no disrespect to Phil, he’s a Cat 1 Golfer, when he hits it 99% of the time he’s got a good idea where it’s going, he’s at the level very few will achieve on here and will undoubtebly have a different mind set to others, the op may only get the consistencey 50% of the time and may benefit from more focussed advice.

I see Golf as a journey and there are many routes to what we desire out the game.

Yes the ultimate aim is to get it into the hole in the fewest strokes, but it really isn’t that simple to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    I also don't get the "bad hole ruins a medal score" that again to me is negative mentality. I think, right, nothing birdie birdie won't sort out. Not saying birdie birdie is going to happen, it very rarely does but that's my mindset.
    I'm sure your idea of a bad hole is not the same as mine. One of the chaps I played with on the weekend got a 10 and a 9. They really did ruin his medal score.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.4

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    To a degree though, it sounds to me like your actually taking a better approach to course management when laying up rather than taking on a worldy shot to try and hit the green sooner.

I thought Cabby and the OP were talking about the opposite! As in, stableford encouraging players to take on riskier strategies because of the potential they have to yield 3 or 4 points, and cover up the damage done of smashing one OOB due to that same riskier strategy.

I was busy editing my post when you replied to this, sorry! I had added something along the lines I've just put here.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I guess it can go either way - I'm struggling to put what I mean into words. On a personal level, given that my short term goal is to get from 21 where I am now down to 18 or lower, I'm just trying to get out of the comfort blanket of thinking 'I have two shots' on a hole, particularly in a medal where the individual holes that you get two shots on don't necessarily matter, since all that happens is your handicap comes off your gross score.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • DX2 Optix

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I'm sure your idea of a bad hole is not the same as mine. One of the chaps I played with on the weekend got a 10 and a 9. They really did ruin his medal score.
    PP on mine last week had a 10 on the 4th, he finished bang on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Agreed, how many times have you gone birdie, birdie following a double or triple bogey?

Journeyman Pro

No it doesn’t mate, that’s my point,l.

Haha... brilliant.

Agreed, how many times have you gone birdie, birdie following a double or triple bogey?
    Never. I can only remember one occasion ever that I even got two birdies in one round.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • DX2 Optix

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Haha... brilliant.
    Pulling out 7 words really doesn’t help you.

What handicap is your pp that had a 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Ndw7 View Post
    I think that the medal mentality in stabelford comps would do me some good! Obviously it would be nice to leave the 7's and 8's off the card as well!
    I agree, if you start playing all of your stablefords like they are medals you may well improve your game. This is why lower handicappers see both formats as being pretty much the same thing. As we don;t have enough shots available to throw away holes.

You need to ask yourself why you were 3 off the tee: bad swing or bad choice? Why did you 3 putt so often: finishing on the high side of the hole, poor wedge play, etc etc?
    We all make bad swings and end up with occasional penalty shots. But you can choose not to cut corners, or take on pins. You can try to leave your approach shots on the best side (doesn't always happen, no matter how hard you try of course).

Can you choose to play with different people, someone you can watch and learn from?
    I like to play with slightly older golfers (in their 50's), who have been very good but aren't quite at their best anymore (one who was off +4 but can't it it far enough anymore, and one who was off scratch but has lost his chipping). They play often play more sensibly than me, choose better options, don't just smack driver and are excellent at getting a ball around the course without too much bother. You may find out that what they do rubs off on you a little.