Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Medal Rounds

Journeyman Pro

Re: Medal Rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean, I guess it can go either way - I'm struggling to put what I mean into words. On a personal level, given that my short term goal is to get from 21 where I am now down to 18 or lower, I'm just trying to get out of the comfort blanket of thinking 'I have two shots' on a hole, particularly in a medal where the individual holes that you get two shots on don't necessarily matter, since all that happens is your handicap comes off your gross score.
    I found when trying to play to 18 or a little better, that a good way to play was to treat every hole as a par 5. Hit 5 on every hole and you’ve hit 90. Just a different way of thinking.
    Handicap: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Canary_Yellow View Post
    I found when trying to play to 18 or a little better, that a good way to play was to treat every hole as a par 5. Hit 5 on every hole and you’ve hit 90. Just a different way of thinking.
    I would be disappointed with a 5 on any of our par 3s though. I guess I am just trying to get more bogeys where I would normally or often get double bogeys though at the moment, so similar really as they'd mostly be the longer par 4s.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.4

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I would be disappointed with a 5 on any of our par 3s though. I guess I am just trying to get more bogeys where I would normally or often get double bogeys though at the moment, so similar really as they'd mostly be the longer par 4s.
    It's not a case of aiming for a 5, but rather rebasing your expectations as to what a good score is. On any par 4, 5 is a good score. Also, if you did get a 5 on a par 3, no harm done because that's a par in your bid to shoot 90, if you see what I mean?
    Handicap: 12

Journeyman Pro

I do not have a different approach to either comp but if given the choice I would sooner play a medal comp. I fee that playing a medal comp gives me more chance of winning, particularly in seniors comps.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Challenge Tour Pro

I prefer medal play for a few reasons:

1. [tempts fate] I tend not to have too many car crash holes so don't get much benefit out of the stableford format

2. I find I'm better focused in medals

3. There's a couple of par 3's where if I score a 4 in medal (without a shot) I'm not too bothered but it bugs me in Stableford (1 reason why I hate Bogey comps with a passion)

4. A fair % of the field crumple before they even start in medals hence I feel I have a better chance of winning (purely anecdotal)

I just play each hole as best I can and add the scores up. I make no differential between a medal and stableford format.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by shortgame View Post
    I prefer medal play for a few reasons:

1. [tempts fate] I tend not to have too many car crash holes so don't get much benefit out of the stableford format

2. I find I'm better focused in medals

3. There's a couple of par 3's where if I score a 4 in medal (without a shot) I'm not too bothered but it bugs me in Stableford (1 reason why I hate Bogey comps with a passion)

4. A fair % of the field crumple before they even start in medals hence I feel I have a better chance of winning (purely anecdotal)

Pretty much sums me and my game up

Other than that “This needs to go in” putt or chip I don’t really see any difference in how I approach each format.

As rule I don’t often score worse than the blob score on a hole so Stableford doesn’t make much difference.
    Handicap: 12 > 11