Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How strict are you at enforcing the rules with your PP's ??

I normally try to bring it up in the nicest way possible. The best scenario is that I see the potential rule breech before it happens, like in the original post with point two. Or if someone is about to tee off in front of the tee markers or forgot to replace his ball on the green after marking it to the side.

But even when the rule breech already happened, I normally state it at a question: "Did you declare that a provisional?" or in case of an air shot "Was that a practice swing?" In that case they know that I know ... if they are honest, they will own up and count the shot correctly, if they want to lie about it and cheat, they still can. I am not the police and not a referee.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25° Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

The provisional one is plain golf pedantry for me. Yawn, rules are rules etc but frankly everyone knows the score and saying the exact phrase is unnecessary.

The air shot counts, no question. If I had seen that I would have checked their score walking off the green and queried it, specifically including that shot.

The marking one is more awkward but if it was consistent and I felt uncomfortable then I would 'helpfully' suggest the person doesn't mark that way in order to avoid accusations in future. I would hope that would be enough. If not.................hopefully I will never be in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    Always sensible to check if provisional, rules are not advice. Hopefully someone might save you if you forget!

The rest of them, shouldn’t be your job to keep them in line for those.
    Actually it’s everyone’s job to ensure that the rules are adhered to on the course - that’s both you and your playing partners - you can’t just turn a blind eye on people if they are breaking rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    I normally try to bring it up in the nicest way possible. The best scenario is that I see the potential rule breech before it happens, like in the original post with point two. Or if someone is about to tee off in front of the tee markers or forgot to replace his ball on the green after marking it to the side.

But even when the rule breech already happened, I normally state it at a question: "Did you declare that a provisional?" or in case of an air shot "Was that a practice swing?" In that case they know that I know ... if they are honest, they will own up and count the shot correctly, if they want to lie about it and cheat, they still can. I am not the police and not a referee.
    This for me too. For instance, a player's reaction when missing the ball on a tap on might initially be one of disbelief and they say nothing, then they think should I add a shot for that? Meanwhile people are shuffling off the green, a small number of people might be tempted to now keep quiet.

If you immediately ask the question then 99% of people will admit it straight away and everyone goes off with a clear conscience.

The 1% of people who don't will at least know that they've been spotted and be more thoughtful in future. If you're sure it was an air shot then you now have an easier decision to make as this type deserve to be pulled up.
    Clubs - Various wooden woods. xVarious bladed irons. xVarious strange old putters. xxxIt's not all about the score. xx
    Handicap - 12.2
    2018 HFH Handicap Challenge vs Richart & Bigfoot

Journeyman Pro

When it comes to rules I am fairly 'strict' but I try to do it in a friendly way.

EG when it comes to second balls being hit I will always ask the player before they hit it "are you playing a provisional?"

The marking the ball bit I have been banging on for so long with most all the guys I play with that the have virtually all got the message and now do it automatically.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Journeyman Pro

My normal way is to say to any rule breach “ I did that once but penalty shots are costly so I am more careful now”
    This seems to work !
    You have to be fair to all other competitors in comp so yes you should speak up.
    Unfortunatley some golfers would never get in the diplomatic service this can cause problems, I think it’s the way you say it sometimes.
    Most players know if they have broken the rules and the ones that don’t need educating.

Not too fussed if some one says “provisional” or not.
    “Reload” or “I’ll hit another” says the same to me.

And if I saw a whiffed putt, I’d be questioning who the hell ive stuck my name down with and add the stroke. That’s after I’ve picked myself up off the floor in hysterics.

The ball marking incident....I'd be surprised if I noticed to be honest....I don't hover over my fellow competitors like a hawk on the green....I'm usually focused on my putt and being ready to play.

I'll always clarify with a player if they intend the next ball played from the tree to be a provisional ball before they hit it. To the person who said it is just pedantry and doesn't matter...of course it matters. Suppose he nails his second down the middle and finds his original ball deep in the forest with no hope of getting the ball out to the fairway in two or three more shots.....because he didn't say anything on the tee he can legitimately say..."well I didn't say it was a provisional so the ball in the middle of the fairway is in play".....conversely in your world, if he finds his ball in the clear with a route through the trees to the fairway he can say..."yeah I didn't declare it but I meant it as a provisional so I can still play my second shot with this ball" .

With regards to the last option...I'd gently remind him about his "air shot"...we've all had one, they're not pleasant and there seems a sense of injustice that you have to add a stroke for such an unbelieveably rotten attempt to hit the ball....but if they don't count it then they don't feel the pain and (usually these things are due to not taking as much care as you should, especially on the green) will teach them to concentrate just a little bit more in future....potentially helping them to lower scores in a legitimate way.
    Ping Rapture 13*Ping G 16.5* 3-woodPing G 19* & 22* hybridsCallaway Apex CF16 5i-AWTitleist Vokey wedgesScotty Futura XCallaway Chrome Soft

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrown View Post
    Not too fussed if some one says “provisional” or not.
    “Reload” or “I’ll hit another” says the same to me.

And if I saw a whiffed putt, I’d be questioning who the hell ive stuck my name down with and add the stroke. That’s after I’ve picked myself up off the floor in hysterics.
    Really?
    You sound like a bundle of fun to play against!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    The provisional one is plain golf pedantry for me. Yawn, rules are rules etc but frankly everyone knows the score and saying the exact phrase is unnecessary.

The air shot counts, no question. If I had seen that I would have checked their score walking off the green and queried it, specifically including that shot.

The marking one is more awkward but if it was consistent and I felt uncomfortable then I would 'helpfully' suggest the person doesn't mark that way in order to avoid accusations in future. I would hope that would be enough. If not.................hopefully I will never be in that position.
    You have obviously never played with the crafty beggars like the one mentioned in post #18 - I have many times.