Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

How strict are you at enforcing the rules with your PP's ??

So a couple of incidents recently.

#1 PP marks his ball to the side rather than behind, then when he remarks he marks in front.

I tell him to remark to side.

#2 PP chops one in to trees, says "I'll reload" I say "anything else you'd liek to add to that ? " He replies...provisional ball.

Another day, different PP.

#1 Chops one in to trees, gets another ball out his bag, hits 2nd ball, doesn't say "provisional ball"

#2 Same PP has a "Hale Irwin" putt but doesn't count it.

How would you react to these....and try and be honest putting yourself in my position.

Both these games were in competition.

Re: How strict are you at enforcing the rules with your PP's ??

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post

#1 PP marks his ball to the side rather than behind, then when he remarks he marks in front.

#2 PP chops one in to trees, says "I'll reload" I say "anything else you'd liek to add to that ? " He replies...provisional ball.

#1 Chops one in to trees, gets another ball out his bag, hits 2nd ball, doesn't say "provisional ball"

How would you react to these....and try and be honest putting yourself in my position.

Post your complaint of face book
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5 oooops 17.1, 15.9

That’s an obvious one and would just ask them to ensure they are careful when marking the ball

Just ask them if it’s a provisional ball

Then he is three off the tee

You mark his card you put down what score you believe he got then if there are any issues you both go through the hole together

There is always a more tactful way to approach these situations

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    That’s an obvious one and would just ask them to ensure they are careful when marking the ball

Just ask them if it’s a provisional ball

Then he is three off the tee

You mark his card you put down what score you believe he got then if there are any issues you both go through the hole together

There is always a more tactful way to approach these situations
    It's not my place nor my duty to ask if he's playing a provisional ball, that's the players responsibility.

In regards the three off the tee, would you say that to him after he played ? and tell him why ?

Also, the air shot putt, would you honestly put him down for another stroke then tell him at the end if questioned ?

It's not my place nor my duty to ask if he's playing a provisional ball, that's the players responsibility.
    I would be clafying what he means by “reload”

In regards the three off the tee, would you say that to him after he played ? and tell him why ?
    Would say nothing until the hole has finished and the clarify the score with him

Also, the air shot putt, would you honestly put him down for another stroke then tell him at the end if questioned ?
    He had a shot at the call it counts

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post

Would say nothing until the hole has finished and the clarify the score with him

He had a shot at the call it counts
    This is what I'm asking though, would you tell him that he didn't say "provisional ball" ?

Would you tell him if he didn't count the air shot ?

If you would then my hat is tipped in your direction because it may well turn out to be a very frosty game after these incidents, it's such a horrible situation to find yourself in.

The irony of all this is, I called a double hit on myself that they didn't see.

Assistant Pro

The way I see it is that rules are rules! If in a comp then absolutely call them up for any infringement, otherwise they are cheating the other competitors.
    In a social game, they're still the rules, but can be brought to the PP's attention in a more relaxed way. Maybe the PP didn't understand the rule that they had or were about to break, so use it as an opportunity to educate them.

Always sensible to check if provisional, rules are not advice. Hopefully someone might save you if you forget!

The rest of them, shouldn’t be your job to keep them in line for those.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    The rest of them, shouldn’t be your job to keep them in line for those.
    Absolutely agree, but then informing them of their error(s) can make for unpleasantness the rest of the round, this is what I'm getting at.

Tbh I’d be more relaxed about the provisional ball scenario, but the fresh air is definitely counted and I would probably clarify and make it clear there and then once he’d completed the hole. Usually if something like that happens it’s blatantly clear because of the players reaction to said shot.
    Waiting for the replacement clubs

born again golfer (may 2011).....and again now(June 2017) I'm worse than a woman
    h/c 7

Driver: Titleist 910 9.5*
    3 wood: Titleist 903 15*
    5 wood: Titleist
    Irons: Titleist 714 AP1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 56/60
    Putter: Odyssey

"only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go"