Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Great course or great company?

Playing 18 holes in a 4-ball you are given the choice. You can either play a top golf course in great condition, but with PPs you'd rather avoid, or you play a middling course, but with great company. Assume both are free and weather is fair. Which would you plump for?

I played an outing over the weekend at one of the more renowned courses I've played (not going to name it on this thread). Great course, outstanding weather, great price. The only downside (rant alert!), unfortunately was the attitude 2 members of my 4-ball. The morning was greensomes and the only peep out of them were a snide comments about chances me and my partner had missed or to thoroughly berating themselves for anything less than tour standard shots (they were mid handicappers). The afternoon strokeplay and more of the same. They seemed to take joy in our bad shots and rarely acknowledges our good play or appreciated compliments on theirs. Neither managed to crack a smile over 36 holes.

The golf was great and thoroughly enjoy playing a splendid course, though the company tarnished a golden opportunity to have a very memorable day.

It highlighted to me the reason I play golf, to have fun with old and new friends, to try my best, enjoy the good and accept the bad maintaining my demeanour come triumph or disaster. Given the choice of great course or great company, I'm choosing the latter every time.

Tour Rookie

Re: Great course or great company?

Company everytime.

Great company can definitely make a bad course more enjoyable but I would always opt to play a better course irrespective of the company
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

I am not good enough to really appreciate better courses anyway. Give me any cheap muni and I am good. Company anytime.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25 Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    Great company can definitely make a bad course more enjoyable but I would always opt to play a better course irrespective of the company
    I played Dubai Emirates Faldo last year. We were paired up with a member and his mate. The member was p*55ed as a fart. Even although his pi55edofficity was not intrusive to my shots - it was nonetheless very off-putting as we had to watch out for him falling off his buggy - as he did a few times. I enjoyed playing the course - but not as much as I did playing the much lesser Jabel Ali course (in Abu Dhabi) a couple of days before.

So an extreme example I accept. But it is def the case that your playing companions can spoil a round - notwithstanding the quality or standing of the course.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

company for me, played in a few opens with some people like that and it really can spoil the day
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802

Head Pro

I personally always try to be a civil as possible and be considerate of others, iv not had to much pairing but a moaner will always be avoided if possible if not I just keep my head down and get on with it, I'd take a good group over a great course every day of the week, some of my best experiences iv had at golf are with my friends
    Wilson staff c200 4-pw Mizuno t5 wedges 50/55/60 Cobra bio cell 3/4 hybrid Callaway XR 3 wood Cobra king f7 driver Odyssey white hot rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    I'd go along with this.

Company every time. It doesn't matter how good the course is, if the company is sucking the joy from the round then it is no fun.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Company every time. It doesn't matter how good the course is, if the company is sucking the joy from the round then it is no fun.
    works the other way too, I've twice played Selsdon Manor which is a nice course but nothing special, both times the weather has been amazing, had really good playing partners and played decent golf, and they both stick in my head as some of the best rounds of golf and Selsdon is now one of my favourite courses to play
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802