Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Let's tax pensioners

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44029808

Because the young are struggling to find their footing in life there should be a tax on pensioners over and above what they already pay. Note, already pay. Those pensioners who have already been prudent in life, and have generated their nest eg, already pay tax.

But let's go back to when today's current pensioners were starting out. Many didn't have a car, let alone being a 2 car family. Many didn't have holidays, let alone foreign holidays. Many bought a falling down terraced house, and refurbed it, then bought a semi and then bought a detached. A weekend away in Amsterdam? What were they? A stag/hen 'do' in Benidorm? A few beers in town more like.

Just how far will this 'entitlement' that is expected by the young and promoted for the young extend?

Sorry but get off your ar5e and work for those things. Grab every bit of overtime you can. Get a second job to buy the luxuries.

I cycled 12 miles to work, not through choice. We went 7 years before having our first holiday. We bought our first detached house in my 40's, and I've had decent jobs all my working life. Being really comfortable didn't happen till I was mortgage free.
    Give it big humpties

Re: Let's tax pensioners

"Inter-generational fairness" who comes up with these titles ?

Agree with the Hobbit's sentiments, if you want it bad enough you work hard for it. £10k for a deposit at 25 ...... you're having a laugh 😠

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    "Inter-generational fairness" who comes up with these titles ?

Agree with the Hobbit's sentiments, if you want it bad enough you work hard for it. £10k for a deposit at 25 ...... you're having a laugh 😠
    Not only is it a bad idea it’s also unrealistic .. 10k would not only not be enough for a deposit in most cases wouldn’t it also just put house prices up as more people could afford to buy than now just increasing demand for property’s

At 25 the person is relatively new to the workplace. They may not be on that great a wage / salary, how are they expected to save the remainder of the deposit. As for house prices rising, that will just cause the price to rocket on almost every starter home/ flat in the country.

As for an additional "tax" on the older population, that is just plain robbery. In a generation that was sold the myth of retiring at 55, and planned accordingly, it can only be seen as punishment for forward planning and investing in a private or company pension.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44029808

Because the young are struggling to find their footing in life there should be a tax on pensioners over and above what they already pay. Note, already pay. Those pensioners who have already been prudent in life, and have generated their nest eg, already pay tax.

But let's go back to when today's current pensioners were starting out. Many didn't have a car, let alone being a 2 car family. Many didn't have holidays, let alone foreign holidays. Many bought a falling down terraced house, and refurbed it, then bought a semi and then bought a detached. A weekend away in Amsterdam? What were they? A stag/hen 'do' in Benidorm? A few beers in town more like.

Just how far will this 'entitlement' that is expected by the young and promoted for the young extend?

Sorry but get off your ar5e and work for those things. Grab every bit of overtime you can. Get a second job to buy the luxuries.

I cycled 12 miles to work, not through choice. We went 7 years before having our first holiday. We bought our first detached house in my 40's, and I've had decent jobs all my working life. Being really comfortable didn't happen till I was mortgage free.
    Absolutely spot on as usual Brian

Let's take it from those who've worked for it, saved it, managed it and let's give it to those who just whine about it. who will be monitoring where this £10,000 gets spent or will it just be frittered on Stag/Hen dos, holidays, mobiles, iPads or up the wall on a Saturday night?

I've no issue paying more NI for the NHS as long as all the recipients of the service do the same; God knows it needs it and if you are in any doubt read This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay.

If we are looking for a better idea, why don't we promote some of these pensioners who have proved their ability to balance their books and let them look after the NHS budget; surely they can't do any worse than the current suggestion?

The young are so hard done by, we had it easy!

Only, I did my first paid job when I was 10 years old, went to work full time at 15 years 4 months old and never had a penny in benefits other than family allowance for my one child. Paid, I guess, an average of 10% mortgage rate over it's life. Worked an average 55 to 60 hours a week. Did all my own decorating and house maintenance, had a holiday entitlement of 3 weeks a year, no protected employment rights for much if the time I worked for others. Couldn't take parental leave or go to the school nativity or sports day - they'd have laughed at the request!

Yep, it was an easy life for us oldies 😁
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Seems fair after you screwed us on Brexit.

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

We used to lick t’road clean with our tongues and live int cardbox box.....luxury😂

Agree with the above, but it is a different ball game nowadays, go back 40 years and someone on average salary could afford to buy a house which would cost about 3 or 4 times salary.

Nowadays it’s nearer 8 times average salary,(certainly in the south east) most young people end up renting, those that can buy can only do so if they get a handout from the bank of Mum n dad or an inheritance from granny. Or their work qualifies them for special help.

I’m lucky, I have a decent pension, but the pension landscape has changed , my fear is that today’s youngsters will have insufficient pensions to cover their rent after retirement

The system has changed and the system is broken
    Driver Callaway Rogue
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    7 Wood. Callaway Big Bertha
    Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 5
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Cleveland 588 RTX 52, 56, 60
    Putter. Seemore Giant
    Handicap 21.2 Whipsnade Park GC

Ryder Cup Winner

At the age of 25 I had already done 10 years work, never had a holiday [exc. visiting relatives], never owned a car and was another 10 years away from owning a house.
    Aye, I had it easy compared to todays 25 year olds.