Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: World Cup Russia 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Fair shout on Shelvey - he is another that can add a very good long passing range , and should be in the squad - Wilshire and Shelvey are both far from the answer but right now until some of the better young ones come through they are as close as England can get.
    Long passing game? Are we back in the 80s again lol. There’s no space in international football now, successful long passes are as rare as hens teeth. Wilshire tries the miracle ball far too often which is one of his downfalls, Shelvey is just a big fish in a small pond, has never cut it in a decent quality team.

I think Wilshere and Shelvey are not there because Southgate has no intention of playing possession football. He doesn't want or need a midfield playmaker, he's selected a squad of physical players with pace to win the ball and bomb forward. Somewhat like the Liverpool model maybe, they don't really have a midfield playmaker either, it's just a case of sitting, winning the ball, and bombing forward on the counter.

I still would have had Lallana in the squad in case we struggle to break down Tunisia or Panama in the groups, and need a different approach.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

In fact I’d say it shows how bad English football is that those two are even being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    In fact I’d say it shows how bad English football is that those two are even being discussed.
    Shelvey is vastly overrated in my opinion. He's a good MOTD highlights player. If you see how many times he fires a 50 yard ball out of play in a game though - plus he's a thick as they come, there's no brain in his head. Similar to Barkley, some ability but no thought process going on whatsoever.

Wilshere as well has never fulfilled whatever potential he had. He's never played enough football unfortunately. He can knock a ball around a bit but very undisciplined. We won't miss either of them.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    Long passing game? Are we back in the 80s again lol. There’s no space in international football now, successful long passes are as rare as hens teeth. Wilshire tries the miracle ball far too often which is one of his downfalls, Shelvey is just a big fish in a small pond, has never cut it in a decent quality team.
    Southgate picks a team full of pace looking to punish teams on the break - guess what’s a key element to that , someone with the ability to swing a ball over the top onto a Vardy or a Sterling breaking through

Plenty of space in international football if a team can exploite it well

Think Southgate had a chance to try something new - think he has missed out on doing that and going for safety

Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post
    You're suggesting smalling deserves a place based on UTDs defensive record. I’m saying that I would say they have that record for a number of reasons, Mourinho’s tactics and De Geas brilliance being the main two, and that smallings ability (lack of) has little to do with it.
    He's still a better player than Cahill and playing far more regularly too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Personally I rather hope no Liverpool players play any games. I don’t wont them risking injury or not getting the end of season rest all players need.
    You're not an England supporter, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    Ashley Young should be nailed on for the LWB spot - streets ahead of Danny Rose this year.
    Totally agree with the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Southgate picks a team full of pace looking to punish teams on the break - guess what’s a key element to that , someone with the ability to swing a ball over the top onto a Vardy or a Sterling breaking through

Plenty of space in international football if a team can exploite it well

Think Southgate had a chance to try something new - think he has missed out on doing that and going for safety
    As a supposed football expert, you don't half talk some guff at times 😂

Tunisia and Panama will sit deep and let us come onto them. There is going to be naff all space and the game will be played at a snails pace. The match will be full of short, sideways passes. Unless we score early and force the opposition to come out at us we always tend to struggle against those types of teams. If only Silva or De Bruyne were English.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Slime View Post
    You're not an England supporter, then?
    Yes I am, but I’m fed up with successive England managers picking their best buddies or playing players out of position, as well as the lack of acceptance that as a National team we are no-where near as good as many think we are.
    I also can’t stand the behaviour of English fans abroad and the bad impression they give every other country of us as a nation.
    Forever trying.

Tour Winner

Remember the days when we were arguing and disappointed that Gazza had been left out of a World Cup Squad?

Now it's Shelvey, Smalling and Wilshere......

🤤🤤🤤

😭😭😭

God we'll be as bad as Scotland soon......!! 😉😂😂😂