Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: World Cup Russia 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Another question is who will captain the side? Has to be someone who's guaranteed to start so you're down to about 6 options already. For my money it should be Kane, he has the winner's attitude, would lead by example, plus I think the armband would make him raise his game, which as the focal point for our attack is invaluable.

I have a horrible feeling it might be Henderson though.
    I think the captains role has changed somewhat in recent times. I think calling it the beckham effect as some do is a little ott tbh as many players since him have had as much of not more say on their teams running (think Messi at Barca).

the player should be a starter I agree though as its still meant to be an honour for the player and calling up someone and handing over to them would be stupid imo.

Id go Kane, quite simply hes easily our best player and Should do well as long as he doesnt take corners!
    My own H4H. Challenge. Get to 16 or pop 20in the pot.

I'd certainly have Lallana and Smalling in the squad in place of Welbeck and Cahill.
    United had the second tightest defence this season and Smalling has played more than any other United defender.
    Welbeck is just not required, good enough or reliable enough and England are looking thin in midfield ............... not up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Slime View Post
    I'd certainly have Lallana and Smalling in the squad in place of Welbeck and Cahill.
    United had the second tightest defence this season and Smalling has played more than any other United defender.
    Welbeck is just not required, good enough or reliable enough and England are looking thin in midfield ............... not up front.
    will england play (lets put this nicely) as pragmatic a style as Utd under Mourinho? Or have a keeper as good as De Gea between the sticks?

As has bee said many a time before..... kleberson won a league and Traore a CL. Doesnt make em decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post
    will england play (lets put this nicely) as pragmatic a style as Utd under Mourinho? Or have a keeper as good as De Gea between the sticks?

As has bee said many a time before..... kleberson won a league and Traore a CL. Doesnt make em decent.
    What's your point?
    You've lost me there, or am I missing an obtuse point?

Quote Originally Posted by Slime View Post
    What's your point?
    You've lost me there, or am I missing an obtuse point?
    You're suggesting smalling deserves a place based on UTDs defensive record. Im saying that I would say they have that record for a number of reasons, Mourinhos tactics and De Geas brilliance being the main two, and that smallings ability (lack of) has little to do with it.

Whoever he puts in the starting 11 I just hope he doesn't play some kind of crazy formation. All the teams at the minute are playing a 4-3-3 formation. Rashford and Sterling are use to playing wide in a front 3, like Kane is use to playing the solo role between 2 wide men. Henderson is use to playing the central anchor role in the middle of a midfield 3 and that is what players like Ali are use to also.

BAsically what I'm getting at is play the formation all the players are use to playing in, in the position they train to play in all season. Too often I see the England line up and you have players playing in formations that they are not use to, playing in positions they are not use to. Yes I know people will say that they are professional footballers and should be able to play in any formation they are given. Day in day out these players are trained to play in a certain formation in a certain position, so for once set the team up in a way they already know to play.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

England will play 3-5-2. The squad basically tells you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    Another question is who will captain the side? For my money it should be Kane, he has the winner's attitude,
    And he has won what?

Quote Originally Posted by virgilvdk View Post
    11 Appearances all season, most as a sub. Had he been fit and palying regualry then there is no doubt he'd be in, the same for Wilshire too probably. Leaving him out is the right descision.
    Clearly fitness is the reason Lallana's not been selected, but I think rather than having Delph who I expect not to play a single minute, I would have had Lallana as the 23rd man; it's a gamble worth taking because if he did actually find some fitness, he offers us something unique that no other player has. He's in the stand-by list, so presumably if an attacker gets injured he will be in - so he's obviously fit enough to go and train with the squad?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAdey View Post
    Whoever he puts in the starting 11 I just hope he doesn't play some kind of crazy formation. All the teams at the minute are playing a 4-3-3 formation. Rashford and Sterling are use to playing wide in a front 3, like Kane is use to playing the solo role between 2 wide men. Henderson is use to playing the central anchor role in the middle of a midfield 3 and that is what players like Ali are use to also.

BAsically what I'm getting at is play the formation all the players are use to playing in, in the position they train to play in all season. Too often I see the England line up and you have players playing in formations that they are not use to, playing in positions they are not use to. Yes I know people will say that they are professional footballers and should be able to play in any formation they are given. Day in day out these players are trained to play in a certain formation in a certain position, so for once set the team up in a way they already know to play.
    Well, we know for sure Southgate will be using the 3-4-2-1 or 3-5-2 with wing backs, as he has in all our recent games.

The team will be something like this I expect:
    Pickford
    Walker - Stones - Cahill
    Trippier - Dier - Henderson - Rose
    Sterling - Dele
    Kane

Depending on opposition he may bring Vardy in for Dele or Sterling. Cahill & Rose might be Jones/Maguire & Young, that depends on Southgate's preference, but I think the others are mostly set in stone.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Looking at the squad surely he's going to go "sh&t or bust " and just go out City/Liverpool style and try and score more than the oppo ? If it was me I'd find a way to play Vardy, Kane, Sterling and Alli all in from the start. Add Pickford, Walker, Maguire, Stones , Dier , Rose and Henderson. Let the front 4 just play , don't stifle them with anything ...just go out and play. Gung ho for me !!!!!!
    2016: 12.7,12.4,11.8,11.6,11.7.11.8,11.8,11.4,11.5,11.5, 11.6,11.7,10.3,10.4,10.5,10.5,9.9
    2017: 9.9,10.0,10.1,10.2,10.3,10.4,9.6,9.4,9.5,9.6,9.7,9 .8,9.9.9.9,10.0,10.0
    AR: 11.0
    2018: 11.1,11.2,11.3,11.3,11.3,11.3,11.4,11.5,11.5