Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Is always playing stableford stopping you getting a lower handicap ??

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    This is actually what I meant when I started the topic, far too many people on here from what I see take an easy option by playing stableford, though strokeplay and medal play means the same to me, putting a score together.

If playing stableford suits how you like to play then fine but it's a cop out and will continue to allow you to just plod along.
    It may seem as though people are playing a lot of Stableford as we’ve only just started the season and in winter, a lot clubs play non-qualifiers and ind stab comps.
    Now the season has started the majority of ind comps will be stroke.
    Our place only does ind stab or 4bbb Nov - Apr, now the season is here, between now and Oct we have 15 Ind Stroke comps and only 4 Ind Stab.
    I agree with your point if people purposely avoid ind Stroke comps, personally I’ll play every weekend regardless of comp.

Almost all our club competitions are Stableford and as with the CONGU system, the German handicap system uses the Stableford-scores for handicap calculations. But I do see the op's point here, though. I know that I sometimes take on very risky shots in a Stableford round which I surely would not do in a medal. Because a nett bogey will still give me one point, but if I play a nett double, triple or quadruple bogey does not matter. I think in terms of "I am running out of shots here" instead of "I have to stop the bleeding and somehow get this ball home"
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25° Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

Head Pro

One of my PP's had a 10 on the 4th yesterday and had a net 73 with the css of 73, that to me is how put a score together, you lot taking the easy option of stableford would just write it off rather than having the mental strength to put that 10 behind you and compile a score, and that folks is why you'll always be what you are.
    What will we always be?

One of my PP's had a 10 on the 4th yesterday and had a net 73 with the css of 73, that to me is how put a score together, you lot taking the easy option of stableford would just write it off rather than having the mental strength to put that 10 behind you and compile a score, and that folks is why you'll always be what you are.
    And with statements like this is why you will never be respected on this forum and the sooner your gone the better imo.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    You've got 2 separate things going on.
    Firstly, in the Medal competition, the score is the score. If you take 10 then you put it on your card and that number counts towards your total. Take off your handicap and that's your nett score and the lowest nett score wins
    Secondly, for handicapping, the worst you can score is a nett double bogey, or the lowest number that doesn't score a point in Stableford.
    So a 10 on a par 3 hole with a Stroke index of 18, so you get one shot, will count as a 6 for handicapping but a 10 in the competition.
    Thanks for this.
    Cheers Brian

Medal, stableford, makes no difference to my score, or the way I play. Most of my no score holes in stableford are missing a putt for a 1 pointer. I dont shoot double figures on a hole.

I also play sh or bust golf. Always. If a shot has a 5% chance of coming off, i am going for it. Why sit in the club house thinking about all the percentage chip outs you had? No fun.

My handicap is junk. I could halve it, it would still be junk. I will never be a pro, so i am doomed to being a chopper. But, i can sit in the club house, and remember that one shot that came off.

Golf is meant to be fun. If I am judged on my handicap, that is pathetic.

I tend to agree with the OP as I feel grinding out a medal score will in the long run make you a better player.
    At Montrose on Friday I had a 9 on the 6th which put paid to any chance of a prize but I was still encouraged to go for the buffer as my next target, not that lasted any time with an 8 in the last.
    Medal to me is the purest form and if you do well/OK in medals you'll do well in Stableford but don't feel that a good stableford player will do so well in medals.
    When I tee it up I look to shoot as low as gross score as possible

Have you not considered the fact that it’s the club not the member who decides the format of the weekly event?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    And with statements like this is why you will never be respected on this forum and the sooner your gone the better imo.
    His fishing expeditions are rather tedious. He'll probably be a really nice guy..... when he grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Golf is meant to be fun. If I am judged on my handicap, that is pathetic.
    Maybe if we did it for a living it would be worth worrying about.
    Give it big humpties

Blackballed

We have a fair mix at my current club, Although both formats have the same effect on my handicap as its calculated, at least for now using stapleford.
    I Guess even the new system will have a max score for a given hole.