Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-Way Hut

Re: Half-Way Hut

Definitely an asset where run well. Folk need to be sensible about stopping or calling through..... my wife would comment that proper loos on golf courses are a huge plus!

At Sun City found out that it was the done thing to stop for a full lunch... and buy one for the caddy. I was worried that it might have been the only cooked meal he had that day. Never has a burger and chips been devoured so rapidly!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Tour Winner

We have one open at weekends and some other occasions, my lad usually runs it on a Saturday. It's basically a shed that sells bacon and sausage baps, sausage rolls, pasties, tea, coffeee & soup. Occasionally they throw in some home made pies for variation. The food is cooked up in the main kitchen and ferried down, can be found to run out of food early on busy competition days. It doesn't sell chocolate and other drinks as the pro shop is right next door, and they're his domain.

We rarely stop to eat, unless the group in front are still in our way. Normally it's pick up and eat on the go. It's a handy option to have if you're feeling peckish half way round.

Japan is better, you're forced to take a one hour break halfway round and have a sitdown lunch with beer....

Not the best way to prep for the back 9 but I'm all for a good halfway hut in the UK sense.

Quote Originally Posted by richart View Post
    Love halfway huts. we have a good one by the 10th tee. It is handy that it is after a par three, so plenty of time to order, and either eat by the hut, or on the hoof. Tee shot on our tenth is probably the hardest on the course, so normally a natural delay before teeing off. Works perfectly for the male members, though the ladies hardly use it, as their tee is at the bottom of a hill, and not by the hut.

Think it is a good service for societies, and makes a few quid for the club. In the winter it is great being able to get out of the cold and have a warm up.

Only downside is that the lovely Katie has left.
    I remember Katie, I think it was the first, maybe second time down for H4H and I remember Rick bless him finishing his butty and going back for seconds so he could grab a second glance, that's one memory that still makes me smile.

The Filly course at Close House is getting a half way hut, it's actually between the 10th and 11th but well situated, I imagine it will get good business. The club did a vote asking what kind of pies and pasties the members wanted stocked and I think steak and ale was a first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    The Filly course at Close House is getting a half way hut, it's actually between the 10th and 11th but well situated, I imagine it will get good business. The club did a vote asking what kind of pies and pasties the members wanted stocked and I think steak and ale was a first choice.
    It gets a lot of visitors playing there so they will use it as a novelty, as well as the members. An ideal course for a half way hut. I'm surprised at the decision to go for pies. They can be a messy eat, certainly can't eat one on the go.

Enjoying your time there or is it too early and too wet to judge?
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Halfway Huts are very good and they can be used and not stop the flow of play if everyone is sensible

Have played at courses where people stop for 5/10 mins to have a coffee or pint plus a bit of food , then courses where you take your food on the go

As with anything else in golf they can be very good if used with “common sense”

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roops View Post
    Our half way hut was run by the club for a while, it was never great, but on the occasions when it was manned a bacon roll was a welcome bit of sustenance on a winters morning. However, most members saw it as a missed opportunity by the club and so the decision was made to outsource it's running to a 3rd party.

Since this has happened, it's a lovely place to stop, clean and lots of stuff on offer. You can txt/phone orders through from the previous hole so if you are looking to keep moving it only needs a quick diversion to pick up your snack and move to the next tee.

We will often stop and have a chat with the lady who runs it while collecting a coffee and snack, and if we are being pressed let the next group go through if they are not stopping. It doesn't seem to be an issue with delays and has added a nice social feature to our course.

Hope yours goes well, good ones are very nice to have.
    Thanks for this feedback - useful indeed. At first we are going to be running it ourselves - we put ads out for expressions of interest but nothing came back (as far as I am aware).

As much as I said we don;t use it at the moment - we do actually use it one weekend a year if - captains weekend. As a once off I enjoy a sit and a wee blether - but not so sure if I'm out for a comp aor social whack. I will use it though, as I am keen that we make our place as attractive as possible for visitors, societies and for attracting new members.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of golf here is played by visitors/tourists rather than members, few have a half-way-house, preferring to do the food/drinks cart option instead

Anyway if it’s just a trial period wouldn’t it be more cost effective just to get the food/drinks cart version of a golf buggy rather than set up a structure (if trial fails sell the thing)

Sorry I know its not an answer to your original question
    The structure (hut) is already in place - it was funded by the Captain of three years ago - as his 'legacy'. So building is there with very nice ladies and gents toilets - and power and water all supplied. But inside the remainder of the hut is empty.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Journeyman Pro

I like when you get halfway houses and you can call ahead to order your food

Personally I only ever get a cup of tea and maybe an extra chocolate bar

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    sounds a great idea, enforce a stop and a longer round on people who already think golf takes too long.
    10 minutes isn’t very long.

I spend at least that long every 3 holes looking for my balls
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦