Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-Way Hut

Re: Half-Way Hut

Quote Originally Posted by Captainron View Post
    10 minutes isnít very long.

I spend at least that long every 3 holes looking for my balls
    you post said 20, not 10

In theory it takes much longer on some of these busier resort courses.

Gleneagles for instance last time i played there it was supposed to be a 15 min stop, but more like 40, got fed up and went off in the end, just as well we did or wouldn't have got round while it was still light.

They suit fair weather golf. They are a godsend on a roasting hot day. Not so good when battling to keep your brolly up and will to live.

They aren't that popular in Ireland for some reason.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Adams a12 pro 16* hybrid
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Odyssey prototype 2ball black series putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    They suit fair weather golf. They are a godsend on a roasting hot day. Not so good when battling to keep your brolly up and will to live.

They aren't that popular in Ireland for some reason.
    Not even when you've a bit of the poitin bubbling away in the back to stiffen thebackbone for the coming noine...
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

lovely option when you are having a social knock - I'm off to Suningdale on Wednesday with clients and will most definitely be having a sausage and a ginger beer!

hideous (for me anyway) during a comp if you are playing well (or at least not yet done your brains) want to keep your rhythm. My home course has one and the front 9 is 2-3 shots easier than the inward 9 so often get to the turn still in with a chance of playing to handicap or making buffer but need to keep the momentum going. If the group in front have stopped for a sit down cuppa, bacon bap and I've got a score going I might as well walk in there and then.

Conversely If I'm playing terribly and have to stop after 9, my second 9 is almost always much better!

Probably need to be mentally stronger
    MikeH
    (GM editor)
    email me michael.harris@timeinc.com

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    lovely option when you are having a social knock - I'm off to Suningdale on Wednesday with clients and will most definitely be having a sausage and a ginger beer!

hideous (for me anyway) during a comp if you are playing well (or at least not yet done your brains) want to keep your rhythm. My home course has one and the front 9 is 2-3 shots easier than the inward 9 so often get to the turn still in with a chance of playing to handicap or making buffer but need to keep the momentum going. If the group in front have stopped for a sit down cuppa, bacon bap and I've got a score going I might as well walk in there and then.

Conversely If I'm playing terribly and have to stop after 9, my second 9 is almost always much better!

Probably need to be mentally stronger
    Rather my thinking also - playing well I want to keep going - playing badly I don't want to sit and glumly fume...

But hey...I'll give it a go for the club...
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

If your club has a starter and sensible spacing between groups it will work well. What's 10 mins at the end of the day?

If its already 5 hour rounds and multiple groups backing up on tees all over the course regularly then it can be a melting pot of frustration and a hot spot for confrontations. In other words a disaster.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Adams a12 pro 16* hybrid
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Odyssey prototype 2ball black series putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

If you stop at a halfway hit you forfeit your place and have to join the queue to tee off on 10.

Quicker rounds for those who donít stop, longer for those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceBoy View Post
    If you stop at a halfway hit you forfeit your place and have to join the queue to tee off on 10.

Quicker rounds for those who donít stop, longer for those who do.
    Disagree. Would cause all sorts of trouble and arguments. Stick to the timetable and you know the score.
    spray it about a bit and can't putt 🇿🇦

Assistant Pro

My friends course has a fantastic half way house, ran by a couple who make bacon sarnies, Home made cakes and a selection of hot and cold beverages.

It is superb, a great little place to stop for 5 mins to grab a snack and have a nice break. I would rather like my course to have one, alas no option for this unfortunately.

I think MikeH makes a salient point. If I'm playing well I'd definitely be wanting to carry on and not stop and would be trying as forcefully as I could without ruining the entire atmosphere of the group to get my partners to agree to carrying on and then asking to go through the group enjoying a break.

There are some fantastic half-way houses about and in a social event, friendly club match or a society I'd have no issue stopping whatever the circumstances as the score is far less important