Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rules

Journeyman Pro

New rules

I am getting lots of players come to me and ask it true that.................

No it is not you will have to wait until January 2019 for it to be true.

The looks on some faces when I tell them there are nearly 100 changes to the rules 2019.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Re: New rules

And in 2019 we will be complaining that golfers donít know all the rules.
    As a rule person, wouldnít it just be better to answer their question?
    intolerance will not be tolerated

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Watched the Golf Monthly vid on Youtube with Jezz Ellwood. Covered ten rule changes.

I suppose I'm OK with them - though I really don't like the idea of being able to putt with the flag in the hole. The idea just feels completely alien to me. Even when messing around today it feels really wrong putting with the flag in.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Iíve read through them and think they are brilliant BUT and itís a huge one...

They are going to lead to a lot of misquoted and old rules being dragged up. Unless itís handled properly and people are educated itís going to cause a fair few disagreements.

Personally they are great and I hope my above statement is wrong.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    And in 2019 we will be complaining that golfers donít know all the rules.
    As a rule person, wouldnít it just be better to answer their question?
    I have done so.

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    I am getting lots of players come to me and ask it true that.................

No it is not you will have to wait until January 2019 for it to be true.

The looks on some faces when I tell them there are nearly 100 changes to the rules 2019.
    Going to be plenty of broken rules by ordinary club members in club competitions as I'm pretty sure none will be up to date with that many. Given we're only 7 months away from arguably the biggest wholesale changes since golf began properly, I would like to see these changes being explained and rolled out by clubs to their members now and on an ongoing basis. I think GM and others are doing a fair job on social media to explain the more salient points and you'd hope the R&A get the new version of the rules out to clubs for members to put in their bags and to read.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Going to be plenty of broken rules by ordinary club members in club competitions as I'm pretty sure none will be up to date with that many. Given we're only 7 months away from arguably the biggest wholesale changes since golf began properly, I would like to see these changes being explained and rolled out by clubs to their members now and on an ongoing basis. I think GM and others are doing a fair job on social media to explain the more salient points and you'd hope the R&A get the new version of the rules out to clubs for members to put in their bags and to read.
    Couldn't disagree more.

Now will just cause confusion, on going loses control (you can't be on top of responding to everything all the time for 7 months...) and right now people are looking forward to playing the game rather than thinking about the Rules.

Measured communication from November, including the appropriate material and a club based focus on the changes (our 13th will play fundamentally differently due to the changes and we have yet to decide whether to implement a change in mowing patterns).

Finally, and importantly, clubs need to resolve their position on the optional LR and agree their stance. Uncertainty over what may, or may not, be implemented will add an unnecessary layer to people's handling of the changes.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.

Now will just cause confusion, on going loses control (you can't be on top of responding to everything all the time for 7 months...) and right now people are looking forward to playing the game rather than thinking about the Rules.

I agree with this. This was my main point, a lot of players seem to think that the new rules are already in place.

Personally I am thinking about heavy publicity at our club from about September onwards.

I am hoping that the new rules books will be received a few months in advance of the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    our 13th will play fundamentally differently due to the changes and we have yet to decide whether to implement a change in mowing patterns.
    Just from a curiosity pov, could you expand on this please?
    I've been following some of the major rule changes coming, but I can't work out how the above comes about.

Head Pro

For someone relatively new to the game, this summer I want to concentrate on enjoying my golf. Come October / November time and i think would be appropriate to start talking in earnest re the rule changes.

Too early and it will cause to much confusion.
    A bag of Ping sticks Member at Knole Park, Kent.