Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Re: Speed of Play! Etiquette?

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    is it the same time irrelevant if a 2, 3 or 4 ball?
    I think the clocks are set for a 4ball pace - so if you are a two ball you know you should be well ahead of the clock. I think we might adjust the clocks for a medal or other comp when we play in three balls - but I am not sure that we do - normal 4ball pace is probably good as a comp 3ball pace. Outside of a comp we know that as a three ball we should be ahead of the clock.

And as I will no doubt be asked 'do playing groups pay attention to what the clocks say?'. In my experience absolutely we do. We get to the 7th tee and check how we are doing - and same on the 13th.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 13-Apr-2018 at 16:29.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Tour Rookie

4 hours 45 min for a 3 ball yesterday. About standard unfortunately. I am a quick player so it is painful puts me off weekend golf.

We got to the half way hut and there were 2 groups still sitting chatting, with the following hole clear.

We had the slowest player in the club in our group in yesterdays comp. he's a good player but slow is an understatement. This guy had prev held up a 4 ball all the way round as a single player and also taken 5 and half hours to get round a couple of years ago as a 3 ball and ended up letting 7 plus groups though two of which were 4 balls of visitors with Caddies. so has plenty of Previous

I doubt he has every got round in 3 hours in a comp before, but he did yesterday, didn't let him bugger about, so even the slowest can do it given the right encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    OP: Why were they so far behind? 45mins is at least 3 holes. There is NO excuse for that. And the group behind should have been asking to play through. Why did they not?
    I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous post.
    There's plenty of reasons, and some of them very valid, as to why a group can lose 45 minutes.
    If then first group had a decent day between them and didn't have to look for a ball as opposed to the following group who may have had to look for 8-10 balls. There's your 45 minutes gap in a flash.
    The 3rd group may have been having a similar day and didn't get held up, hence them not being let through.
    You can't just say " you've lost 3 holes and taken 45 minutes longer than group A therefore you're slow.
    You need to know why they've lost that time because it could be a perfectly reasonable reason, within the rules, that doesn't constitute slow play.
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.8 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous post.
    There's plenty of reasons, and some of them very valid, as to why a group can lose 45 minutes.
    If then first group had a decent day between them and didn't have to look for a ball as opposed to the following group who may have had to look for 8-10 balls. There's your 45 minutes gap in a flash.
    The 3rd group may have been having a similar day and didn't get held up, hence them not being let through.
    You can't just say " you've lost 3 holes and taken 45 minutes longer than group A therefore you're slow.
    You need to know why they've lost that time because it could be a perfectly reasonable reason, within the rules, that doesn't constitute slow play.
    Granted - but even if you have two groups going at the pace of the group that lost 45mins on OPs group the group behind these two slow or struggling groups should have been ableto lay through both.

Anyway - on Saturday fog caused a delayed start until 9:30am and so the course was rammed. Front nine was awful slow and by time we reached 13 the clock told us that we were 25mins off pace. Maybe coincidence but the final six holes were at a good pace.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

In Germany, everybody on the course should be familiar with the etiquette, since it is taught in the obligatory "Platzreifekurs", the Get Into Golf course that every German player has to take before they are allowed on the course. In fact, for most players it is several months before they get to play on a real golf course. And then there are rabbit and newcomer comps, introductory rounds with the local pro ... Does it help? ... I don't think so. You find the same kind of behaviours and problems on the course as anywhere else. Some people just aren't very considerate or just totally oblivious to their environment when they play. It might be egoism or just a lack of awareness, but at least here it is not lack of education.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25 Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

Some people want to run round, others are in the middle and some want to take their time or physically cant play/walk faster.
    Who's decision is it to dictate how slow/fast you should play?

If the fast players are 'drawn together' off early then they'll be happy.
    The slowcoaches can be allocated the later tee times so they won't be rushed and everyone else in the middle.
    Everyones happy.
    Its like a race on a narrow road.....Ferrari first, Ford in the middle and Fiat at the back.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

One of the lads did 18 holes as a single on Saturday (with a buggy) in 34 minutes... shot 76 gross

While we're young!

(part of a charity day so the course was geared to it with no hold-ups)

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Some people want to run round, others are in the middle and some want to take their time or physically cant play/walk faster.
    Who's decision is it to dictate how slow/fast you should play?

If the fast players are 'drawn together' off early then they'll be happy.
    The slowcoaches can be allocated the later tee times so they won't be rushed and everyone else in the middle.
    Everyones happy.
    Its like a race on a narrow road.....Ferrari first, Ford in the middle and Fiat at the back.
    Because one of the main reasons given for falling golf numbers is that people don't have enough time to devote to golf, this is compounded by people taking ages in front of you and/or failing to call you through.

Of course we are not talking about people who physically can't walk quickly, and everyone should be able to have a chat as after all it is a social game. But too many times I have seen a group of three drive to different parts of the hole, and all three of them go to each others ball let them play then all three move onto the next ball.

Whilst we know that unless you are directly in front of someone you should go to your own ball and prepare to play. Not to mention leaving bags on the wrong side, chatting on the green after holing out.

Yes some people will be quicker than others but we shouldn't excuse slow play as people wanting a chat and a social round
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    One of the lads did 18 holes as a single on Saturday (with a buggy) in 34 minutes... shot 76 gross

While we're young!

(part of a charity day so the course was geared to it with no hold-ups)
    Impressive. Did he get out of the buggy at all or did he hit it polo style while passing by?
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25 Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5