Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Relief in casual water

So, playing at home in a club league match, on our smallest par 3, I missed the green left and ended up with a tree between me and the pin. My ball was sitting in casual water and I asked for relief and dropped my ball at the nearest point of relief not nearer the hole where I had full relief.

Opponents player 1 comes over and says that as I was behind a tree i have to stay behind the tree but can go back as far as i like, player 2 backs him and says that is how they play it at their home course. I confirm that the rule is NPR + up to one club length.

We halve the hole in 4, but had they stuck to their guns would I have been right to play it my way, them call a dispute to settle afterwards, and if i were wrong they win the hole, where had I accepted their definition and played it their way, would l lose the hole even if i halved and called a dispute?
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Re: Relief in casual water

You know the rules, tell them to stop being stupid and trying to use made up rules they may play in their roll ups and move on mate! if not tell them you will concede the hole if they can show you that rule in the rule book (wasnt april 1st a while ago?)
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Head Pro

You were not wrong so the first scenario is not applicable. You are right though had you registered a dispute following their version of the rules the committee would have ruled that you followed he wrong procedure and therefore you lose the hole. Not sure though why anyone would register a dispute in these circumstances, as you could not never win.

Quote Originally Posted by doublebogey7 View Post
    You were not wrong so the first scenario is not applicable. You are right though had you registered a dispute following their version of the rules the committee would have ruled that you followed he wrong procedure and therefore you lose the hole. Not sure though why anyone would register a dispute in these circumstances, as you could not never win.
    I agree and was adamant that I was correct about the relief.

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    You know the rules, tell them to stop being stupid and trying to use made up rules they may play in their roll ups and move on mate! if not tell them you will concede the hole if they can show you that rule in the rule book (wasnt april 1st a while ago?)
    I had a scenario in an away game with one of these guys a while back where he said I broke 3 rules on a hole. He took the pee afterwards at dinner. I cut and pasted each of the rules on the 3 matters and mailed them to him the next day but received no apology!

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I had a scenario in an away game with one of these guys a while back where he said I broke 3 rules on a hole. He took the pee afterwards at dinner. I cut and pasted each of the rules on the 3 matters and mailed them to him the next day but received no apology!
    Ridiculous Chris, funny thing is i expect they do it every game and their club mates get more and more embarrassed every time, then they feel the need to go bigger and better every time. Seriously not worth wasting your energies on mate. It's actually quite sad the extents some people will go to, even within our great game. Thankfully they're the minority. Keep doing you
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Out of interest, does anyone carry a copy of the rules in their bag. I have one in a sandwich bag (to keep it dry) and it found it is the easiest way of resolving these silly arguments when clearly as in the OP's case, it's a clear cut procedure to proceed and the opposition have a made up version they insist is correct. It's not something I've done for long although did do it some time ago, until a copy got soaked in a dodgy old bag and was unusable, but decided to redo on the back of the number of similar threads and also the scary one about unwritten rules that highlighted exactly what sort of made up rules people understand as being correct

Assistant Pro

I have the R&A Rules of Golf app on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Out of interest, does anyone carry a copy of the rules in their bag. I have one in a sandwich bag (to keep it dry) and it found it is the easiest way of resolving these silly arguments when clearly as in the OP's case, it's a clear cut procedure to proceed and the opposition have a made up version they insist is correct. It's not something I've done for long although did do it some time ago, until a copy got soaked in a dodgy old bag and was unusable, but decided to redo on the back of the number of similar threads and also the scary one about unwritten rules that highlighted exactly what sort of made up rules people understand as being correct
    I did carry the book for a while but on the odd occasion that I needed to use it I found finding the rule very difficult when needed quickly. I remember trying to show someone that you can ground your club on a bridge over a hazard and I think I'd still be there now if we hadn't agreed to disagree in a friendly match.

Handicap 12.0

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I did carry the book for a while but on the odd occasion that I needed to use it I found finding the rule very difficult when needed quickly. I remember trying to show someone that you can ground your club on a bridge over a hazard and I think I'd still be there now if we hadn't agreed to disagree in a friendly match.
    I'm afraid you would never have found it in your Rules book as it is in the Decisions 13-4/30.

The good news is that it won't matter next year.