Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Q-School Graduate

Anyone played Warkworth?

Looking for somewhere in the NE to play tomorrow morning. This is the only place I can find which is open today. Suspect one or two will reopen in the morning, but at the moment this seems our only option.

Bit of a trek (30 miles, 50 min drive), but cheap as chips (8.50 on TOT).

Just wondering if anyone had played it, and what your thoughts are? Is it likely to be a quagmire? don't want to drive all that way if it is.

Re: Anyone played Warkworth?

Didn't even know there was a course there
    2016 handicap 15-13 2017 handicap 13-12 2018 handicap 12...

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    Looking for somewhere in the NE to play tomorrow morning. This is the only place I can find which is open today. Suspect one or two will reopen in the morning, but at the moment this seems our only option.

Bit of a trek (30 miles, 50 min drive), but cheap as chips (8.50 on TOT).

Just wondering if anyone had played it, and what your thoughts are? Is it likely to be a quagmire? don't want to drive all that way if it is.
    We always have a drive up in the winter as it's typically one of the driest. They've just put summer tees back on recently which makes the course a lot better. In terms of whether it'll be a bog, there's a usually a wet patch around the 1st green as it's at the bottom of a hill and then around the 6th green/7th tee. Rest of the course would be fine I'd imagine although we have had a huge amount of rain recently.

Another option could be Alnmouth Village? Another good 9 hole course which typically survives the weather.

We are looking for somewhere dry to play on Saturday morning, providing to be a little difficult!

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddy View Post
    We always have a drive up in the winter as it's typically one of the driest. They've just put summer tees back on recently which makes the course a lot better. In terms of whether it'll be a bog, there's a usually a wet patch around the 1st green as it's at the bottom of a hill and then around the 6th green/7th tee. Rest of the course would be fine I'd imagine although we have had a huge amount of rain recently.

Another option could be Alnmouth Village? Another good 9 hole course which typically survives the weather.

We are looking for somewhere dry to play on Saturday morning, providing to be a little difficult!
    Cheers. Alnmouth Village website appeared to be down, tried Foxton but it's shut today.

Warkworth sounds fine if there is nowhere nearer open and in decent nick tomorrow.

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    Cheers. Alnmouth Village website appeared to be down, tried Foxton but it's shut today.

Warkworth sounds fine if there is nowhere nearer open and in decent nick tomorrow.
    I've always found Foxton to be wetter and in worse condition than Warkworth and Alnmouth Village. Enjoy, hopefully we are due some better weather soon!

Alnmouth Village should certainly have stood up to the wet conditions recently. Nice 9 hole and a fair test of golf.

I was up in Alnmouth at the weekend, not playing though. The Village will be absolutely fine. Only snow, fog and mist closes that down. Foxton is not a links course, not on a sand base, so that suffers the same as other inland courses.

I see no reason why Warkworth would not be okay, Newbiggin the same I suspect. Take your pick of any of those 3.

You could always head south and play South Shields. They have a deal on for Thursdays in April, 10-2pm, 12.50 per person inc bacon butty. Better course than all of the above to be fair.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I was up in Alnmouth at the weekend, not playing though. The Village will be absolutely fine. Only snow, fog and mist closes that down. Foxton is not a links course, not on a sand base, so that suffers the same as other inland courses.

I see no reason why Warkworth would not be okay, Newbiggin the same I suspect. Take your pick of any of those 3.

You could always head south and play South Shields. They have a deal on for Thursdays in April, 10-2pm, 12.50 per person inc bacon butty. Better course than all of the above to be fair.
    That sounds a cracking deal, will give them a ring, thanks.

Q-School Graduate

Went to South Shields in the end. Very enjoyable, course was in great nick - saw one puddle all day. Bacon sandwich was very nice as well.

Tour Rookie

Did you not see Maninblack there, it's his second home between that and Sunderland Golf Centre 😀

I'm playing Sharpley tomorrow as mines closed.
    Titleist 915 D2 Driver 10.5 Deg Diamana Blue
    Titleist 915f 3 Fairway Wood Diamana Red
    Cobra DWS Hybrid Aldila NV 65R
    Cleveland CG16 4-PW
    Cleveland CG16 48 Deg GW
    Cleveland Tour Action 53 Deg GW
    Cobra SW
    TaylorMade Ghost Maranello Putter

Handicap 14.4