Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NHS Parking

Re: NHS Parking

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    So everyone who works for the NHS who currently pays for a space should just leave? Good idea. You're full of them. You should run the NHS.
    As I understand it the NHS is struggling with enrolment and retention of staff...
    So. I would suggest they need to take a serious review of what they a doing to reverse those issues...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaSteve View Post
    As I understand it the NHS is struggling with enrolment and retention of staff...
    So. I would suggest they need to take a serious review of what they a doing to reverse those issues...
    When NHS staff are, effectively, earning 14% less than they were a few years ago, having to fork out several hundred quid just to park at work on top is a serious chunk out of your pay. It's no wonder retention of staff is a problem.
    Everyone who pays for a parking permit surely has to be guaranteed a parking space or they're taking money under false pretences..
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.8 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Journeyman Pro

There was a plan put forward by the government in the 80s/90s to treat a staff parking place as a taxable benefit.

I understand there are many jobs where the working hours make public transport unrealistic and parking for staff is a necessity.

In Yeovil the hospital is almost in the town centre. When it was free to park it was reckoned that a very large number of the cars parked there were owned by drivers not even using the hospital. When they bought in charges they wee deliberately put at a higher price than the using the council car park. Now they have gone stupidly high like many a hospital car park.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Tour Winner

Where exactly do you propose staff should park?

Why should the taxpayer pick up the cost of parking for NHS staff at a time when funding for medical services is low?
    My grievence is that despite paying for parking, she is unable to park in the place that she is paying for. Would you not expect to be able to park if you were paying in advance for the privelige? She then gets a ticket for parking in a bay for 5 minutes, that everyone else is allowed to park for free for 30 minutes. What if it had been me picking up a family member? Does that mean I am exempt from the 30 minutes free parking because the car has my wife's staff badge on it? If she'd parked there for more than 30 minutes, fine, fill your boots, but have some common sense.

The NHS staff, especially at my wife's level, are extremely over worked (she had to cover a three person shift on her own yesterday, the day before and today), badly stressed and very much underpaid. The NHS is struggling to keep staff, they're certainly not helping themselves with this kind of behaviour.

Completely agree that if you pay for a space you should be guaranteed it. However the cost of 'policing' such car parks is so high they need to make their money somehow. The parking charges at Glasgow Royal infirmary are astronomical. That's because it's in the city centre.
    The answer is to provide better public transport. I work at Scotland's new 'wonder' hospital. I live 1.5 miles away and I need to get 2 buses which would take forever. Walking is not really an option, so I drive. They promised improved public transport but have neglected the whole of the north west side of Glasgow which is a huge catchment area for the new hospital. NHS chiefs and Governments pay lip-service to reducing car load on NHS Sites but in actual fact do nothing to ease pressure. This exacerbates your wife's issue.

Tour Winner

Your wife was badly treated by someone lacking a bit of common sense and understanding.

Also if permits are charged for then it is reasonable for staff to expect there to be sufficient spaces.

However, I don't see it as any employer's responsibility to provide free parking.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

same scenario for my Mrs at the Royal Surrey County Hospital. She pays £20 a month for a parking permit that does not guarantee a parking spot. And so she has to park wherever she can - and sometimes that means parking on the main road by the hospital - a clearway. Now that's OK if she is able to move her car before 4pm when it comes in operation for evening rush hour - but when she is sitting with a woman who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer as the clock ticks toward 4pm what is she to do? Well she does the right thing - she stays with the woman - and hopes and prays she doesn't get a ticket before she can get to her car. And sometimes she's failed.

Of course Surrey CC don't help as they have turned down an application to build a multi-storey car park for the hospital. That the land it would be built on is very valuable for potential commercial development might perhaps have coloured their thinking.

That said. There are many who work in the hospital who live within 2 miles of it - and choose to drive when public transport to the hospital is perfectly adequate.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Money List Winner

Ah so you don't have an answer then. Thought not.
    I thought it was a very good answer👍

Quote Originally Posted by Tashyboy View Post
    I thought it was a very good answer��
    It wasn't. It was typical whinging without any attempt to understand the overall situation.
    2015 = Worst golf season in memory - End handicap 15.2 - now with added 1.0 after review = 16.2

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by need_my_wedge View Post
    My wife is an HCA at the Milton Keynes hospital, worked there for 10 years.

She has to pay a monthly parking fee to park at the hospital without a guarantee of a parking space. Yesterday she drove around for 20 minutes trying to park without success. She knew the ward was short staffed and couldnít get through on the phone to tell them she was going to be a few minutes late. So she parked in a normal parking bay and ran in to tell them she was onsite and was just looking for parking. On returning to the car approx 5 minutes later, a very kind person was giving her a £70 parking ticket for parking in a visitor bay with a staff badge. The hospital gives 30 minutes free paring for drop off/ pickups, yet they are so eager to extort their very underpaid and extremely ovrworked employees.

Way to treat your staff NHS, and for giving it the old Teflon shoulder because youíve contracted out to UKPC..... itís a disgrace that you charge your employees to park at work in the first place, let alone fail to guarantee a parking spot. Donít be surprised when employees fail to turn in because they canít park.
    Just talking to Missis T who had these tickets under very similar circumstances. She went on the Martin Lewis website and downloaded a parking fines letter and sent it to the private company who was running the carpark. 👍