Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Vanity handicaps.

It possibly ties in with folk wanting to be as low a handicap as possible, myself included but I'd like to think I'd hand in enough regular cards so that my handicap represents my game.

Challenge Tour Pro

Whilst this will presumably all change with the new handicap system, I can relate to this.

As a new member a couple years ago I was pleased when I had a few good handicap rounds in new company and was allocated 14, although that was harsh given I had only played to 16 at best.

Wind forward and I soon became frustrated as I couldn't compete and struggled to get 30 pts at times. My handicap has now gone up but that takes time (I play more roll ups than qualifiers) with 0.1s and now, once again, I am competitive (sometimes) and striving to get cuts.

It is a pride thing for me, rather than vanity. I liked having a handicap that implied I was reasonable, given I have played other sports to a fairly good standard, but that was soon outweighed by the frustration (and slight embarrassment) of submitting low (stable ford) or high (medal) scores.
    In the bag: TM M1 10.5 Driver; Callaway Rogue 3 Wood; TM M4 19 degree hybrid; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 15.6

I think it happens at most clubs. We have people who only played in three medals to maintain their handicap and that was it. One of my friends was playing about 10 shots above his handicap but wasn't worried. He can't play any more so it's immaterial but I think it's not uncommon.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Robster59 View Post
    I think it happens at most clubs. We have people who only played in three medals to maintain their handicap and that was it. One of my friends was playing about 10 shots above his handicap but wasn't worried. He can't play any more so it's immaterial but I think it's not uncommon.
    That's fair enough but why then play for your club when you know you're likely to get thumped.

Journeyman Pro

We recently had to substantially increase the handicap of one new player ( we were able to do it because effectively he was newly handicapped).

He was only ever playing in National competitions for low handicaps and was repeatedly scoring 10+ over handicap in them.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Wabinez View Post
    You should only play to your handicap about 3 times a year...
    I've never understood this. I've asked before but ended up more confused. Should you play to your handicap 3 times a year in comps off the medal tees? Or should you only score 36 points, or more when playing with your mates off the yellows 3 times per year.

My handicap is both vanity and bandit.... seen during a single round, and often during the course of one hole!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by HowlingGale View Post
    I've never understood this. I've asked before but ended up more confused. Should you play to your handicap 3 times a year in comps off the medal tees? Or should you only score 36 points, or more when playing with your mates off the yellows 3 times per year.
    I can't find it now, but I remember reading the CONGU manual and it said you should be playing to handicap I think 20-30% of the time, as your handicap should reflect your potential golf. I've never heard the three times a year thing
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Oh I've known folks swagger around with their low-mid SFs handicaps - when they are nothing of the sort - but it gets them into certain teams and comps that they can then talk about...and newer members or high handicappers who don't know them gather round and listen to their every word of wisdom.

I look on - smile and shrug at their deceit - and walk away. They always get found out.

I'm more the other side of that coin - that I'm 8 at the moment is a little bit of an embarrassment given how badly I've played over the winter months having been re-infected by the devils spawn that causes the s***ks.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I look on - smile and shrug at their deceit - and walk away. They always get found out..

...especially when they are handing over their money!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"