Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Vanity handicaps.

Last night we were discussing why our club always struggles in seniors matches, couple of guys were saying that too many guys who play in these matches have vanity handicaps and only hand in about 3 cards a year.

Is this a common thing ? What actually is the point in that ? I can almost understand some folk being bandits, but vanity handicap ? Really ??

Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar

Re: Vanity handicaps.

Keeping low HC s allow people to enter some exclusive scratch comps that are HC ballots - there are loads at these Scratch Opens that should be higher

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Keeping low HC s allow people to enter some exclusive scratch comps that are HC ballots - there are loads at these Scratch Opens that should be higher
    Last night they were discussing a senior off of 12, when they thought he would be lucky to play to 20, so yes I get the scratch/lower thing but 12 instead of 20 ??

Assistant Pro

Bragging rights? "Oh, I play off of 12!"

I'm the complete opposite - my HC is 22, but I think at the moment it should be higher!
    Why? Because, where I rate my ability, I would like to be able to be more competitive (without being a bandit) with a HC of between 25 and 27.
    My downfall was submitting a HC card that was at least 3 shots better than my average score - getting a birdie on a low SI hole didn't help matters...I have struggled to make par on that hole ever since!!!

For me, I'd much rather have a HC around my ability than to have a lower HC and start making excuses why I shot way over that.
    If my HC was 28, I wouldn't feel any shame in stating that, because it is a measure of my golfing ability and would give me a chance in comps to compete.

I get what Phil says about enabling entry to certain comps, but if your ability doesn't match your HC, then you're only going to let yourself look silly.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post

Bragging rights off of 12 ? 1 or 2 maybe but 12.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post

I'm the complete opposite - my HC is 22, but I think at the moment it should be higher!
    Why? Because, where I rate my ability, I would like to be able to be more competitive (without being a bandit) with a HC of between 25 and 27.
    My downfall was submitting a HC card that was at least 3 shots better than my average score - getting a birdie on a low SI hole didn't help matters...I have struggled to make par on that hole ever since!!!

For me, I'd much rather have a HC around my ability than to have a lower HC and start making excuses why I shot way over that.
    If my HC was 28, I wouldn't feel any shame in stating that, because it is a measure of my golfing ability and would give me a chance in comps to compete.

I get what Phil says about enabling entry to certain comps, but if your ability doesn't match your HC, then you're only going to let yourself look silly.
    Your handicap isnt meant to match your ability...its a reflection of how well you can play. You showed you can knock it round in a lower score, so have a handicap to match that ability. You should only play to your handicap about 3 times a year...

Regarding the initial post, daft ideas! Why keep it lower than it should be, apart from the reason Phil states regarding scratch opens etc

They do it so they can more get faux respect in the clubhouse and online forums

Vanity handicaps are much more a thing in Germany than banditry. When handicaps are questioned it is always as: "How can he (or she) play off a handicap so low?". It is really rare that somebody gets flak for playing off a handicap too high (and that's ususally beginners who just hadn't had a chance to play enough comps yet)

This is most common with senior players who used to be better when they were younger. I think it is psychological ... your handicap going up being a reminder that you are past your prime and things can only go south from here. I think many golfers rather keep telling themselves that they are just having a bad day (365 days a year) than that they are just not playing as well anymore as they did ten years ago. The senior ladies at our club made their weekly comp non-qualifying by default, because otherwise no one would show up. The senior men make theirs non-qualifying as soon as there is a cloud in the sky, a bump in the fairway or the wind exceeds 10 mph. Any excuse they can find. As a result, every score over 30 netto points is seen as a major win.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25 Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

Assistant Pro

I would say a handicap should reflect you on a good day, rather than an average or poor day.

With your handicap in place you should still have to play well, or better than average, to win something or even come in the top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    They do it so they can more get faux respect in the clubhouse and online forums
    This exactly. Your handicap is your badge of honour. I've definitely seen way more vanity handicaps than bandits.