Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,469

    Vanity handicaps.

    Last night we were discussing why our club always struggles in seniors matches, couple of guys were saying that too many guys who play in these matches have vanity handicaps and only hand in about 3 cards a year.

    Is this a common thing ? What actually is the point in that ? I can almost understand some folk being bandits, but vanity handicap ? Really ??

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Liverpoolphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38,469

    Re: Vanity handicaps.

    Keeping low HC s allow people to enter some exclusive scratch comps that are HC ballots - there are loads at these Scratch Opens that should be higher

  3. #3
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,469

    Re: Vanity handicaps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Keeping low HC s allow people to enter some exclusive scratch comps that are HC ballots - there are loads at these Scratch Opens that should be higher
    Last night they were discussing a senior off of 12, when they thought he would be lucky to play to 20, so yes I get the scratch/lower thing but 12 instead of 20 ??

  4. #4
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Aylesbury, Bucks
    Posts
    119

    Re: Vanity handicaps.

    Bragging rights? "Oh, I play off of 12!"

    I'm the complete opposite - my HC is 22, but I think at the moment it should be higher!
    Why? Because, where I rate my ability, I would like to be able to be more competitive (without being a bandit) with a HC of between 25 and 27.
    My downfall was submitting a HC card that was at least 3 shots better than my average score - getting a birdie on a low SI hole didn't help matters...I have struggled to make par on that hole ever since!!!

    For me, I'd much rather have a HC around my ability than to have a lower HC and start making excuses why I shot way over that.
    If my HC was 28, I wouldn't feel any shame in stating that, because it is a measure of my golfing ability and would give me a chance in comps to compete.

    I get what Phil says about enabling entry to certain comps, but if your ability doesn't match your HC, then you're only going to let yourself look silly.

  5. #5
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,469

    Re: Vanity handicaps.

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
    Bragging rights? "Oh, I play off of 12!"

    .
    Bragging rights off of 12 ? 1 or 2 maybe but 12.

  6. #6
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: Vanity handicaps.

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryK View Post
    Bragging rights? "Oh, I play off of 12!"

    I'm the complete opposite - my HC is 22, but I think at the moment it should be higher!
    Why? Because, where I rate my ability, I would like to be able to be more competitive (without being a bandit) with a HC of between 25 and 27.
    My downfall was submitting a HC card that was at least 3 shots better than my average score - getting a birdie on a low SI hole didn't help matters...I have struggled to make par on that hole ever since!!!

    For me, I'd much rather have a HC around my ability than to have a lower HC and start making excuses why I shot way over that.
    If my HC was 28, I wouldn't feel any shame in stating that, because it is a measure of my golfing ability and would give me a chance in comps to compete.

    I get what Phil says about enabling entry to certain comps, but if your ability doesn't match your HC, then you're only going to let yourself look silly.
    Your handicap isn’t meant to match your ability...it’s a reflection of how well you can play. You showed you can knock it round in a lower score, so have a handicap to match that ability. You should only play to your handicap about 3 times a year...

    Regarding the initial post, daft ideas! Why keep it lower than it should be, apart from the reason Phil states regarding scratch opens etc

  7. #7
    Money List Winner Slab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Port Louis
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Vanity handicaps.

    They do it so they can more get faux respect in the clubhouse and online forums

  8. #8
    Tour Rookie Capella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Vanity handicaps.

    Vanity handicaps are much more a thing in Germany than banditry. When handicaps are questioned it is always as: "How can he (or she) play off a handicap so low?". It is really rare that somebody gets flak for playing off a handicap too high (and that's ususally beginners who just hadn't had a chance to play enough comps yet)

    This is most common with senior players who used to be better when they were younger. I think it is psychological ... your handicap going up being a reminder that you are past your prime and things can only go south from here. I think many golfers rather keep telling themselves that they are just having a bad day (365 days a year) than that they are just not playing as well anymore as they did ten years ago. The senior ladies at our club made their weekly comp non-qualifying by default, because otherwise no one would show up. The senior men make theirs non-qualifying as soon as there is a cloud in the sky, a bump in the fairway or the wind exceeds 10 mph. Any excuse they can find. As a result, every score over 30 netto points is seen as a major win.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

  9. #9
    Assistant Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    115

    Re: Vanity handicaps.

    I would say a handicap should reflect you on a good day, rather than an average or poor day.

    With your handicap in place you should still have to play well, or better than average, to win something or even come in the top 3.

  10. #10
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    9,016

    Re: Vanity handicaps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    They do it so they can more get faux respect in the clubhouse and online forums
    This exactly. Your handicap is your badge of honour. I've definitely seen way more vanity handicaps than bandits.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Sunday Trading: Deals On Under Armour, Training Aids, Accessories And More!

Check out these great deals we've found this week...

April 22, 2018

WATCH: Tiger Woods Clinic

The 14-time major winner gave a clinic at his new course and he was on form!

April 20, 2018

Charley Hull’s Unexpected Club Change For LA Open

England's Charley Hull struggled to adapt to her new equipment in the LA Open after British Airways lost her clubs.

April 20, 2018

How Golf Has Changed Since Arsene Wenger Took Over At Arsenal

Arsene Wenger announced that he will be leaving Arsenal after 22 years. Here's what golf looked like when he took over in October 1996...

April 20, 2018

Irish Stars to play in Adare Manor curtain-raiser

As part of a stunning new design at the Limerick-based course, Adare Manor is hosting a charity event to celebrate its opening.

April 20, 2018