Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Re: How do Planning guys think - uncommon sense

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    Our driving test centre had to move recently as the lease expires on the building and the owner wants to knock it all down and start again.
    Virtually every site they looked at had great office facilities but, in one case, we're entitled to 1.7 (that's One point Seven!) parking spaces as they were based on the size of the office not how many people would be working there
    They finally found a site with the required spaces but in a completely inappropriate place for learner drivers...
    Parking seems to be a forgotten thing.
    I think our building ran into similar kind of issue. pre-brexit, we wanted to build a 'european campus' here, but planners only looked at the building space, not number of people working here. Try explaining to our US based real estate planning team who would have to turn up for the hearing once in a while. Apparently a suggestion was that we run our own pick up and drop service from the station instead of waiting for local bus. We already have one, but they wanted to increase frequency!! As one of our US guys said, 'the council wants our business but not our cars'.

Similarly there is a new apartment under planning down my road. I think about 4-6 double bed apartment with a grand total of 2 parking space. Those who can afford a double bed apartment in my neck of the woods will have a min of 2 cars and you can see how they will be parking on the road which already has low visibility & mad traffic. So the locals are objecting to the plans. Its all in a limbo with the council saying that they cant meet targets because the locals object too often... Pot calling kettle black ... rant over

350 parking spaces was fairly lenient in the first instance. Just wait until a percentage of those need to be Blue Badge spaces and another percentage need to be for Electric Charging Points .....

And, wait until off road Office Parking becomes a taxable benefit .... won't be long before they start that one
    Last edited by DCB; 13-Mar-2018 at 15:04.

Ryder Cup Winner

When we re-built our clubhouse in the 1990's the planners insisted we had 10 disabled bays.
    That area of the car park was continually empty whilst, at peak times, the remaining 250 spaces were packed.
    Absolute madness.
    After a year I finally got them to reduce it to 5 bays.
    Still used to smile at the golfers who parked there and then walked round 18 holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    When we re-built our clubhouse in the 1990's the planners insisted we had 10 disabled bays.
    That area of the car park was continually empty whilst, at peak times, the remaining 250 spaces were packed.
    Absolute madness.
    After a year I finally got them to reduce it to 5 bays.
    Still used to smile at the golfers who parked there and then walked round 18 holes.
    Genuine question, who checks if you had just reduced it to 5 from 10 without referring back to the council? Would it require someone to pro-actively report you to the council?

I'm intrigued for our club now, built in the 1990's. I will check it next time I am down there. There may be 1, possibly 2 spaces but I don't imagine more than that.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Sounds about right. Still bonkers.
    Don't dispute that it's both bonkers & wrong, just showing a little sympathy for those at the coal face who take the blame for the stupidity of management.

Had to look at some plans once as regards a Traffic Impact Assessment for a development. Largely flats, not family places, so the location was basically for City workers. It basically said we won't provide parking places so they'll all use public transport. The public transport figures showed that was already full to bursting, but the council wants the investment/taxes, the lack of parking ticks this week's green box, planning permission therefore granted & all the flak at the planners.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    350 parking spaces was fairly lenient in the first instance. Just wait until a percentage of those need to be Blue Badge spaces and another percentage need to be for Electric Charging Points .....

And, wait until off road Office Parking becomes a taxable benefit .... won't be long before they start that one
    Slight aside but one council I know of has started charging its workers for parking in their own depot.

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Genuine question, who checks if you had just reduced it to 5 from 10 without referring back to the council? Would it require someone to pro-actively report you to the council?

I'm intrigued for our club now, built in the 1990's. I will check it next time I am down there. There may be 1, possibly 2 spaces but I don't imagine more than that.
    Had a wee chuckle over that one.
    Our course was owned by the council and two of the planning department were keen members.

Proper answer I made a plea to the department based on the fact that the number of complaints I was getting from golfers who could not park whilst about 7 or 8 spaces were never used. This was causing the Council to look a bit daft, I even had support from our disabled customers

We obviously had disabled folk using the bar and restaurant and we were also a popular venue destination. This was generally golf off peak times so generally not a problem.

If disabled spaces disappeared overnight I would guarantee the disabled community would be first to report it.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    Clowns, They're all clowns. Town councils with OAP's sitting on them. Putting things in place that they thought should have been there in the 1960's. We're on the 2000's now idiots!!!!!! Things are massively different!!!!! Millions being spent locally to me re-building our town shopping centre that no one wants. Oh and they're gonna squeeze in a cinema complex that to get to you have to negotiate narrow roads and umpteen traffic lights to get to and from. CLOWNS !
    Same in our little town...hundreds of homes and a leisure and retail centre (inc a cinema) to be built slap bang in the middle of a town that has a literally medieval road layout.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Challenge Tour Pro

Seen this problem myself.

Our head office, and main satellite office, both 1970s and 80s buildings, have far less parking than is needed and planning prevents expansion, despite having some space. Ironically we have a waste area used for parking (for about 200 cars I guess) which cannot be tarmac so it is left as a muddy, potholed area, divided up by ropes and sleepers so as not to be deemed "permanent parking".

A few years ago there was talk about relocation to a purpose built office but that was canned as parking would have been reduced further.

In both sites now you need to arrive way before 8:30 to get a space and double parking and dumping vehicles is a real problem. Car share and public transport works for some, but not for those who commute any distance.
    In the bag: TM M1 10.5 Driver; Callaway Rogue 3 Wood; TM M4 19 degree hybrid; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 15.6

Assistant Pro

Wouldn't be so bad if the public transport system (a) worked and (b) was sensibly priced - unfortunately, neither are right. Too many people high up are taking backhanders and kickbacks to push these plans through without a thought of what will happen - I wager none of the decision makers even visits the cities/towns, let alone live in them, so what do they care about the poor sods that live there.