Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Re: Jamie Carrahger.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    To try and stop their image being tarnished. It will be now a full on PR play by Sky to do what they can to ensure the least damage to their reputation and ultimately ensure their share price stays as high as possible. And I imagine they will be listening to public and media opinion amongst other things and weighing up the potential damage to their brand of keeping him on against getting rid. The perception will always trump the detailed minutia of the incident, and if his perception amongst a lot of their viewers/shareholders is of a gobbing moron then he will go. But unfortunately team alliances will always cloud a lot of people's judgements.
    If it was just that I think they would have just sacked him immediately and released a statement saying his behaviour is completely at odds with their values. To give him the platform on Sky News means they care about his reputation being restored, which to me says they want to keep him on TV.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

They'll have to go through all the procedures to make sure it's 100% legal and watertight...
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.9 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

I'll wager there's call centre staff/installers on the receiving end of much worse provocation than this on a regular basis so Sky have an easy decision, what would they do regardless of who the culprit was?

If after reacting in this manner (comparatively) in response to some limited provocation these other folks would be keeping their jobs, then so should Carragher

If each of them would’ve been sacked than so should he

Simple

Assistant Pro

Hugely disgusting and I can't really imagine what was going through his mind if was so out of character, as a lot of people are saying.

That certainly doesn't excuse the guy filming who was acting in a similar despicable and pathetic way - but obviously as a former footballer and influential pundit, Carragher is held to a higher standard.

Personally, I think we are all excused one moment of madness and he may be able to rebuild his career.

To put into context, remember we still have the former Defence Secretary, Michael Fallon, sitting in parliament as a member of the Conservative party, despite admitting to lewd behaviour and conduct that was not good enough to warrant him continuing as Defence Secretary, but apparently ok to continue as an MP and conservative.

Similarly, the Labour benches have Hugh Gaffney among them, who thought it appropriate to make a Burns Supper speech with homophobic and racist language and jokes. Labour thought it not appropriate to chuck him out.

That said, I would be surprised if Sky do have him back. While punditry is a difficult job (more so than most probably realise), and being an ex PL footballer narrows the replacements down a lot, I'm sure they will find someone who will be more suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant85 View Post
    That said, I would be surprised if Sky do have him back. While punditry is a difficult job (more so than most probably realise), and being an ex PL footballer narrows the replacements down a lot, I'm sure they will find someone who will be more suitable.
    From what I've seen of Frank Lampard, he has a bright future in punditry if he wants to go down that road rather than management.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17°)
    • Benross HTX 3 hybrid (20°)
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50°)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56°)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60°)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2/Optix
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6

Trying to get rid of a sitting MP is extremely difficult, especially when the HoC numbers makes everything so tight. A minister may have to resign their post but there is close to no chance of them resigning their seat. Far too good a number, pay, pension, prestige etc

We really don't want to start measuring behaviour against that of MP's do we? That standard is far too low. We can do so much better than that.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grant85 View Post
    Hugely disgusting and I can't really imagine what was going through his mind if was so out of character, as a lot of people are saying.

That certainly doesn't excuse the guy filming who was acting in a similar despicable and pathetic way - but obviously as a former footballer and influential pundit, Carragher is held to a higher standard.

Personally, I think we are all excused one moment of madness and he may be able to rebuild his career.

To put into context, remember we still have the former Defence Secretary, Michael Fallon, sitting in parliament as a member of the Conservative party, despite admitting to lewd behaviour and conduct that was not good enough to warrant him continuing as Defence Secretary, but apparently ok to continue as an MP and conservative.

Similarly, the Labour benches have Hugh Gaffney among them, who thought it appropriate to make a Burns Supper speech with homophobic and racist language and jokes. Labour thought it not appropriate to chuck him out.

Not a lot I suspect - when we snap we don;t think very logically if at all. That is why I think that it is important to consider the guys character, previous behaviour and the circumstances of the incident.

Given the above and his fulsome apologies and apparent disgust at what he did, suggests to me that forgiveness by the girl and her family is appropriate if they feel that they can. And if they forgive, then what the rest of us think becomes somewhat secondary - though not to be dismissed as irrelevant.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Trying to get rid of a sitting MP is extremely difficult, especially when the HoC numbers makes everything so tight. A minister may have to resign their post but there is close to no chance of them resigning their seat. Far too good a number, pay, pension, prestige etc

We really don't want to start measuring behaviour against that of MP's do we? That standard is far too low. We can do so much better than that.
    It is extremely difficult, but my point was that these two are still in their respective parties. The party could have stated these guys were out of the party and they could have chosen to continue as independent members until the next election at least, or voluntarily resigned and allowed a by-election.

There was a chap in the Scottish Parliament (Mark MacDonald) who was under investigation by his party (SNP). When the guy realised the findings were damning - he resigned from the SNP (before he was pushed) but is still an MSP, albeit has been encouraged to do the decent thing and resign from parliament.

Everybody makes at least one mistake in their life.
    He has apologised, and whilst I dont argue it was a disgusting thing to do, I don't think the chap with the phone filming it is has no blame in the matter nor is innocent.

There's obviously a tribal warfare issue here, clubs v clubs, but lets be honest he hasn't actually hurt anyone, done any damge (other than to his own reputation) or cause any inconvienence other than to himself.
    In some ways, letting him go would be easier on him rather than having him continue with his post and have to face the comments and ribbing from all and sundry in front of the cameras never to be forgotten.

He was an idiot and acted very foolishly in a very rash moment. If we can all say we have never done something very rash and out of character at any time in your life then good on you.
    I know I can't.
    Forever trying.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Everybody makes at least one mistake in their life.
    He has apologised, and whilst I dont argue it was a disgusting thing to do, I don't think the chap with the phone filming it is has no blame in the matter nor is innocent.

There's obviously a tribal warfare issue here, clubs v clubs, but lets be honest he hasn't actually hurt anyone, done any damge (other than to his own reputation) or cause any inconvienence other than to himself.
    In some ways, letting him go would be easier on him rather than having him continue with his post and have to face the comments and ribbing from all and sundry in front of the cameras never to be forgotten.

He was an idiot and acted very foolishly in a very rash moment. If we can all say we have never done something very rash and out of character at any time in your life then good on you.
    I know I can't.
    I'm as very strong proponent of forgiveness in life - since when we do not forgive we sit with anger and resentments if things don't get dealt with as we would want and we do not agree with or like any outcome. And personal anger and resentments are destructive emotions to carry around. If we can forgive and hence defuse our anger or upset then we are in a much better place to cope with the next big issue that hits us - an issue that might be a lot harder to cope with emotionally. We need to clear our decks as best we can - and keep them clear.

Anyway that's just my general philosophy in life rather than any greater comment on this specific incident. But if JC is keel-hauled and spat out by Sky (bad use of language) to his and his families detriment - it is quite possible that, in time, the accusing dad and his family might actually feel a bit of guilt - even though in the first instance they might feel overweening pride in themselves. And such pride and guilt are also emotions that you just don't want
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 13-Mar-2018 at 14:53.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done