Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2019 rules

Head Pro

Re: New 2019 rules

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I guess it would be risky taking a provisional given that the 2 shot penalty would put you on the fairway
    You wouldn't drop in the fairway unless you lost it in the fairway though. You would drop OOB 2 clubs lengths from the boundary and if lost elsewhere on the course where you believe lost ball to be. (so trees/rough etc)
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    Absolutely! Three off the tee with a chance that you'll put it in the same damn place or play three from the fairway? Hmmmmmmm, I'll take the fairway thanks very much !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    4 from the fairway.
    Cabby, that was my thinking too. It is a two shot penalty so your next shot is your 4th.

I can see the benefit of this. There are a few blind shots at my course. You know pretty much where the ball is going but obviously you can't see a bad bounce or where it will end up. If you hit a shot 180-200yds, I know I'm a forum wuss, and then can't find it I'd rather take the 2 shot penalty than hold the whole course up walking back to a spot I may not even be able to pinpoint. It's an extra punishment, to stop the gamble with minimum punishment I presume, but one with some good logic behind it.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by lukeysafc100 View Post
    You wouldn't drop in the fairway unless you lost it in the fairway though. You would drop OOB 2 clubs lengths from the boundary and if lost elsewhere on the course where you believe lost ball to be. (so trees/rough etc)
    Why so? The explanation specifically includes the "nearest fairway area" and makes no mention of 2 club lengths from where the ball is lost or has gone OOB. The video explanation seems to indicate that the relief area would extend to 2 club lengths from the edge of the fairway, but no mention of the measurement in the explanation. I'd like to see the actual wording of the LR.

A new Local Rule will now be available in January 2019, permitting committees to allow golfers the option to drop the ball in the vicinity of where the ball is lost or out of bounds (including the nearest fairway area), under a two-stroke penalty.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lukeysafc100 View Post
    Best watching the video, it's very clear you can drop it on the fairway.

I've watched the video and read through all posts to date, and if I think about my regular 4 ball this will certainly save us time. On our 4th there is overgrown trees and bushes both sides of a narrow fairway, compounded by OOB beyond the trees to the right. On a bad day, 3 of us may be lost or OOB. It's a par 5. Enacting the local rule has those affected playing 4 from the fairway. 3 from the tee could result (easily at this whole) in 5 from the tee. In stroke, this 4th hole leads to issues.

However, if I think about our par 3, 3rd: 185 uphill with OOB right full length of the hole from tee to back of green. If I go OOB here, but I've carried the length of the green, I can play 4 from the side of the green (and not even from the couple of yards of rough, but from the fairway (or fringe?) walking away with a 5 potentially. For mid to high h/cappers, 4 is a good result here (average hole analysis has it at 4.14). 3 from the tee is generally hit out to the left to ensure you don't go OOB; pitch to the green and 2 putt. In this instance, there's a definite advantage as far as I can see.

Journeyman Pro

It won't particularly suit my course with so many doglegs but it's going to save loads of NRs everywhere.

Anyone think like me that changing the rules will get a lot more publicity and, therefore, more widespread knowledge and a better chance that the players who haven't bothered to learn the rules will get to know these changes very quickly.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    As the local rule for OOB/Lost ball is just that (a local rule) why does it need to wait until 1st Jan?

Why couldn't it be brought in straight away like other local rules have in the past
    what others have said + the R&A have said that the current Rules must be used for all golf until the end of 2018.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Anyone think like me that changing the rules will get a lot more publicity and, therefore, more widespread knowledge and a better chance that the players who haven't bothered to learn the rules will get to know these changes very quickly.
    I wouldn't bank on it......
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 8.0 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Ye it's a bit vague but what do you suggest ? If you knew exactly where you lost it it wouldn't be lost would it.
    True but if u ever watch a group searching in the rough for a ball ther can be a massive area bn searched . Just think it is open to abuse and friend groups may b kinder in deciding wher a ball was than a drawn group ..
    Im against this new LR anyhow (not that that counts for much ha ha )