Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2019 rules

Challenge Tour Pro

Re: New 2019 rules

Having looked at the new rules and comments on this, and other forums, including the Sand Trap, I think this simplifies a lot of often misunderstood or misinterpreted rules. I am all for simplification.

Only one I am not convinced about is the flagstick for putting as I can see that slowing down play as some will want it in (to make a tricky downhiller easier) and others prefer it out.
    In the bag: TM M1 10.5 Driver; Callaway Rogue 3 Wood; TM M4 19 degree hybrid; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 15.6

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Twire View Post
    There will be certain holes on some courses where having this option would be helpful, pace of play, doglegs etc. My question would be, why would you want it on every hole?
    I can see no possible difference between one hole and another that would justify applying it only to certain holes. If you give this option at one hole, on what grounds would you deny a player the same option at another? It makes no sense and I'd be astonished if it had even crossed the rule-makers' minds.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJay View Post
    Having looked at the new rules and comments on this, and other forums, including the Sand Trap, I think this simplifies a lot of often misunderstood or misinterpreted rules. I am all for simplification.

Only one I am not convinced about is the flagstick for putting as I can see that slowing down play as some will want it in (to make a tricky downhiller easier) and others prefer it out.
    I reckon that people won't take long to realise that leaving it in gives a more advantageous outcome most of the time.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    I don 't read the wording of the local rule to suggest it could be applied at certain holes but not at others. Anyway, what would be the point of that?
    I agree. I can't see why the RBs would allow the rule to be modified to include or exclude parts of the course. It is not mentioned in the wording. Other local rules which permit variation explicitly say so.

To me it doesn't seem that the authorities even think this is a great idea or they would make it a rule of golf. The excuse that it would speed up play doesn't wash as the slowest players are the pros and elite players so they would benefit from it most.
    H4H Handicap Challenge v backwoodsman start HC 20H4H Challenge v Khamelionwww.therebutnotthere.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Colin L View Post
    I can see no possible difference between one hole and another that would justify applying it only to certain holes. If you give this option at one hole, on what grounds would you deny a player the same option at another? It makes no sense and I'd be astonished if it had even crossed the rule-makers' minds.
    Well that's how it was explained to me tonight from someone I hold in very high regard to the ROG
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

Challenge Tour Pro mikejohnchapman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    In fairness the concept of such LR situation is relatively recent and hasn't really had much chance to create myths... we have DMDs worded to enable the Tour not to accept them, the current situation with 18-1 (which will get resolved) and now this sensible solution to a situation club and social golfers have been requesting for a long time but makes little sense to the elite game.

Can't see any club not implementing it; no downside and loads of upsides. I will happily give any opponent in match play 3 off the tee on the edge of the fairway; and in handicap competitions any advantage will quickly be reflected in a players handicap ie won't exist for practical purposes.

On the other hand you could have a lot more players walking back to the tee when they fail to find their ball after 'only' 3 minutes....
    Interesting about the penalty area rule - marking "jungle" area with red lines / stakes. Drop out for a 1 shot penalty.

We have several such areas which are between the fairway and out of bounds. Can see some interesting debates about whether the ball is in the penalty area or OOB.
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Ping G400 17 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50, 54 & 58 Deg Wedges
    Scotty Camerion Newport DB putter

H/c 4.5

Challenge Tour Pro mikejohnchapman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    It is essentially removing the provisional ball from play, why would you play a provisional now, no reason whatsoever.
    Because a decent drive with a provisional would save a shot if you find you are OOB
    Callaway XR16 Driver
    Titleist 915 F 3 Wood
    Ping G400 17 Deg Hybrid
    Mizuno H5 4 Iron
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey 50, 54 & 58 Deg Wedges
    Scotty Camerion Newport DB putter

H/c 4.5

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mikejohnchapman View Post
    Because a decent drive with a provisional would save a shot if you find you are OOB

Excuse my stupidity but how does it save you a shot ? 3 off the tee, playing 4 possibly with a decent provisional. Playing 4 from the fairway after going OOB, or have I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Excuse my stupidity but how does it save you a shot ? 3 off the tee, playing 4 possibly with a decent provisional. Playing 4 from the fairway after going OOB, or have I missed something.
    What if the OOB is far enough away from the fairway even a drop on the edge doesn’t give a shot to the green where as a provisional ball that finds the fairway can. I don’t see many OOB that have a fairway within two club length s