Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

New irons - Cure my Cynicism

Now - my buddy/coach tells me that as I can afford to at the moment (for the first time ever basically) I should invest in a new set of irons - he suggests the Ping i200s and he'll get me down to 7 handicap (I'm 8.1) quite quickly.

Now I am actually open to the idea as my current irons (John Letters F-7s) were bought about 10yrs ago for £299 (so there are clearly two Scottish things in there).

But I go onto reviews for the i200s and I get a load of stuff about launch angle, dispersion, distance consistency, and techy stuff about the weight distribution etc in the head.

This stuff I find a total turn-off and consider it all total male bovine detritus - because I know all the inconsistencies in my swing and how I play the game - and consider these things as making all that marketing guff just the words that they are.

I need my cynicism cured. I could buy them just because I can...

So quite simply - putting aside that I can - why should I spend £1000 on new irons when I have a set - albeit that they are ten years old and so getting a bit tatty and bashed round the edges.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Re: New irons - Cure my Cynicism

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Now - my buddy/coach tells me that as I can afford to at the moment (for the first time ever basically) I should invest in a new set of irons - he suggests the Ping i200s and he'll get me down to 7 handicap (I'm 8.1) quite quickly.

Now I am actually open to the idea as my current irons (John Letters F-7s) were bought about 10yrs ago for £299 (so there are clearly two Scottish things in there).

But I go onto reviews for the i200s and I get a load of stuff about launch angle, dispersion, distance consistency, and techy stuff about the weight distribution etc in the head.

This stuff I find a total turn-off and consider it all total male bovine detritus - because I know all the inconsistencies in my swing and how I play the game - and consider these things as making all that marketing guff just the words that they are.

I need my cynicism cured. I could buy them just because I can...

So quite simply - putting aside that I can - why should I spend £1000 on new irons when I have a set - albeit that they are ten years old and so getting a bit tatty and bashed round the edges.
    Because it is what we golfers do . Simple as.

On a more serious note, I tend to think good golfers, you are clearly one, will benefit less from new gear as most new gear relates to helping bad strikes be better. If you hit the ball well already then the benefit may be marginal and not worth £1,000. Us bad ball strikers will gain more assistance by having multiple sweet spots. I don't know that I could spend that much on clubs but then my financial situation is likely to be different from yours so if you have the money, you play plenty of golf, treat yourself. Who doesn't love something new and shiny?
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

I think getting fitted would be good if you want to come down and make sure they suit you and your game. I would think the main differences would be more forgiveness on the i200's (I have a friend who plays of 2 who uses them), stronger lofts on the new irons and getting the correct shaft. That was a big thing for me as I moved from steel to recoil graphite shafts. That made a real difference.

I currently play with Callaway XR irons but have a set of Maxfli Revolution midsize which are lovely irons but definitely not as long or as forgiving in the long irons.

Money List Winner

Total waste of £700; new and shiny aren't what you are looking for.

However, splashing out £300 on a quality set from 2016/2017 is a different matter!
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Quote Originally Posted by duncan mackie View Post
    Total waste of £700; new and shiny aren't what you are looking for.

However, splashing out £300 on a quality set from 2016/2017 is a different matter!
    Think these are wise words. £300 for a set of 6 or 7 irons is more than enough. With irons it's not about extra distance, just consistent distance.

..although there is a chance you then end up changing your wedge make up and some of the clubs between your irons and driver. You may not.

a bag of sand for a set of pings, no thanks lol

better and cheaper options out there imo, depending on if you feel the need to fund the OEMs sponsoring the tour pros
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

I just replaced my 7 year old irons - I hit the new ones higher and further.....

Quote Originally Posted by fundy View Post
    a bag of sand for a set of pings, no thanks lol

better and cheaper options out there imo, depending on if you feel the need to fund the OEMs sponsoring the tour pros
    Better than Ping? Irons?

Surely as a real buddy he should be suggesting you try different sets or brands rather than one particular model.