Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Glasses, lenses and reading specs

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJay View Post
    Funny, I had considered that....or even a magnifier of some sort attached to my bag!!!
    a magnifier will let you see but it only magnifies a poor visual image ,
    a proper fitted monocle will be set for your vision ,choose an eye.

Mono vision contacts. One lens for distance is worn usually in your dominant eye. Other eye has no or very little correction for distance. Brain works out which one to use depending on what you're trying to look at. If it works for you (as it did for me) it is incredibly effective.

After years of that system I was getting fed up when I took my one lens out and put my specs on as near vision compromised. I now where an Ortho K lens overnight in my dominant eye and take it out in the morning and perfect vision all day - amazing!

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaJR View Post
    Mono vision contacts. One lens for distance is worn usually in your dominant eye. Other eye has no or very little correction for distance. Brain works out which one to use depending on what you're trying to look at. If it works for you (as it did for me) it is incredibly effective.

After years of that system I was getting fed up when I took my one lens out and put my specs on as near vision compromised. I now where an Ortho K lens overnight in my dominant eye and take it out in the morning and perfect vision all day - amazing!
    Thanks Amanda. I tried one lens but couldn't get on with it, maybe both eyes need a little help, lost sense of depth, so think thats a non starter, especially for golf.

Have read about Ortho K and that sounds interesting. Am unsure if it would work for someone like me who wears varifocals. Will have to investigate further.

Do you find it easy to sleep in them or did they take some getting used to? I ask because I remember years ago falling asleep with my GP lenses in (had a few beers!) - felt like my eyelids were stuck together in the morning!
    In the bag: TM M1 10.5 Driver; Callaway Rogue 3 Wood; TM M4 19 degree hybrid; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 15.6

Thanks Amanda. I tried one lens but couldn't get on with it, maybe both eyes need a little help, lost sense of depth, so think thats a non starter, especially for golf.

Have read about Ortho K and that sounds interesting. Am unsure if it would work for someone like me who wears varifocals. Will have to investigate further.

Do you find it easy to sleep in them or did they take some getting used to? I ask because I remember years ago falling asleep with my GP lenses in (had a few beers!) - felt like my eyelids were stuck together in the morning!
    I started mono vision with a small correction in my non dominant eye so maybe that helped - gradually changed to no correction. The ortho k lens is very like a gp lens from what I'm told. Not the most comfortable but hasn't bothered me in the night and I'm a light sleeper generally. Some can struggle to get it out in the morning but I've found it fine - just sort of use the lower lid to push up against the top and out it pops.

PS Went ortho-k mono vision to avoid varifocals so assume it would correct distance but compromise reading if not on a mono vision basis. In which case reading glasses or extra long arms needed!

Tour Rookie

I have worn bifocals for approx 10 years but did not wear anything for cricket or golf until two years ago. I found that I needed glasses for batting. Unfortunately, I thought it a bit dangerous so I decided to try disposable contacts last year. They were superb and allowed me to drive in them too. I then found that they helped my golf as I could follow the ball better in the air.

You just have to find the best combination to suit your eyes and a small lens for the card would be a good idea.

Used to play in contacts, no problems, could wear sunglasses and had a pair with interchangeable lenses for varying light conditions. All was good.

Over the years my near vision started to falter and I switched to varifocals (but not for golf).
    Now have a pair of single vision lenses with photo chromatic lenses.

Anyway, going back to the opticians next week and am tempted to try lenses again - disposable ones - mainly for golf. However, with lenses in my near sight is worse and I need reading glasses to see my GPS watch, and any small print scorecards.

Anyone carry/use reading glasses? Have seen those small foldaway ones so am thinking about trying them.

Don't suggest varifocals - tried using them for golf and my swing is all over the place (more so than usual!).
    I wear standard daily contacts with numerous pairs of varying strength reading glasses. For occasions when using reading glasses is inconvenient I bought a pack of Acuvue moist multifocals - expensive but give you the distance function of your normal contacts with an ability to read with them in. They're not perfect for both distance and reading but a reasonable compromise.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    They're not perfect for both distance and reading but a reasonable compromise.
    So no good for golf?
    I am happy wearing varifocal glasses for work and at home, just looking for something for golf.
    In the bag: TM M1 10.5 Driver; Callaway Rogue 3 Wood; TM M4 19 degree hybrid; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 15.6

I wear verifocal glasses and didn't like playing golf in them, ball went blurred when I swung the club no matter how I kept my head still. So bought single vision to play golf in and I just do the old man peer over the top to wright my score down. Contacts don't give me the clarity of vision For me.

There are various types of variofocal lenses which give less distortion than others. Initially I went for the cheaper types which gave distortion between the distance/reading portion of the lens. My next pair I went for the more expensive lens and there is no noticible distortion.