Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Glasses, lenses and reading specs

Used to play in contacts, no problems, could wear sunglasses and had a pair with interchangeable lenses for varying light conditions. All was good.

Over the years my near vision started to falter and I switched to varifocals (but not for golf).
    Now have a pair of single vision lenses with photo chromatic lenses.

Anyway, going back to the opticians next week and am tempted to try lenses again - disposable ones - mainly for golf. However, with lenses in my near sight is worse and I need reading glasses to see my GPS watch, and any small print scorecards.

Anyone carry/use reading glasses? Have seen those small foldaway ones so am thinking about trying them.

Don't suggest varifocals - tried using them for golf and my swing is all over the place (more so than usual!).
    In the bag: TM M1 10.5 Driver; Callaway Rogue 3 Wood; TM M4 19 degree hybrid; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 15.6

Tour Rookie

Re: Glasses, lenses and reading specs

I can't offer advice on reading glasses for golf but I now wear glasses over 90% of the time I golf after an eye examination showed that I had quite bad UV damage to the front of my eyes. I instantly bought a set of Oakley sunglasses and have bought three different sets of lenses for various light conditions.

I'd urge all golfers to get their eyes tested regularly.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

I wear transition variofocals all the time even for golf without any issues. Anaway I had my eyes tested a couple of weeks back and was asking the optometrist about contacts and he advised that there are now variofocal contacts available but unfortunately they're not suitable for me as I have cataracts. My playing partner uses contacts and he has a distance prescription in one eye and a reading prescription in the other which seem to work well.

Journeyman Pro

I had laser surgery for my job 20yrs ago .
    but I do need reading glasses , I have a pair of the folding ones they are a pain .
    My mate works in an online glasses business and he suggested ( Dont laugh) a Monical.
    Sounds silly but itís not , I wear it on a chain around my neck and you only need one eye to see a score card.
    Dont dissmis it itís brilliant once you get used to it.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CliveW View Post
    I wear transition variofocals all the time even for golf without any issues. .
    I just can't get on with varifocals for golf, looking down at the ball is not as clear as I would like and I think it changes my stance/head position.
    For the same reason I don't fancy varifocal contacts as I suspect that would be even more of an issue.

I did try wearing one contact years ago on the advice of my optician (not for golf) but again couldn't cope with that as I found myself closing the other eye depending on whether I was focussing near or far!

Have looked at a couple foldable glasses, Nooz and Thinoptics, both look OK and easily stored on/in a golf bag.
    In the bag: TM M1 10.5 Driver; Callaway Rogue 3 Wood; TM M4 19 degree hybrid; Callaway Big Bertha 4 hybrid; Ping G irons 4-PW: Cleveland Rotex 588 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges; Scotty Golo 5 www.wragbarn.co.uk Handicap 15.6

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    I had laser surgery for my job 20yrs ago .
    but I do need reading glasses , I have a pair of the folding ones they are a pain .
    My mate works in an online glasses business and he suggested ( Dont laugh) a Monical.
    Sounds silly but itís not , I wear it on a chain around my neck and you only need one eye to see a score card.
    Dont dissmis it itís brilliant once you get used to it.
    Funny, I had considered that....or even a magnifier of some sort attached to my bag!!!

I had my sight laser corrected about 15 years ago but one had problems 2 years ago and is now worse than the other so I sometimes wear corrected distance glasses, or nothing at all, relying on the good eye, but when its raining I just wear one contact lens.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJay View Post
    Anyone carry/use reading glasses? Have seen those small foldaway ones so am thinking about trying them.
    I do contacts for golf and skiing and keep a cheap pair of glasses from Poundland for the card and piste map.
    H4H Handicap Challenge v backwoodsman start HC 20H4H Challenge v Khamelionwww.therebutnotthere.org.uk

Journeyman Pro

Probably quicker and easier to carry a magnifying glass. Pocket size one like this
    023.jpg

I find bifocals are quite good, not a lot of difference to my usual aviator style glasses I use for golf.
    Last edited by jim8flog; 09-Mar-2018 at 18:53.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

I have transition lenses in my glasses so they darken when it's bright. Find they make it very easy to see the ball in sunny conditions. On the down side they are a pain the rear end when it rains. I keep a cap in my bag as well as a couple of cloths to wipe them in they get too damp. I'm extremely nervous about laser surgery for no reason other than I'm squeamish about anything to do with my eyes which is why I've never entertained the idea of contacts