Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Long Cold Winter

If you follow the weather from around the world and the effect different events have, the La Niña event last year does have an impact on the weather in the UK and Europe, so the La Niña event could be to blame for the prolonged winter we are seeing.

Also if you follow the different large metrological feeds on twitter they are saying there is a strong possibility of some very cold weather and the likelihood of snow for all the UK middle and toward the end of February, due to the sudden stratospheric warming that is occurring.
    If you've been smoking something you shouldn't and you see something that walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, then it's probably a dog or a bag of peas.

Journeyman Pro

I didn't think this winter has been overly cold, only had if a handful of nights dropping to below -5. 2010 was really cold winter many days colder than -10 (IIRC).

Wet/rainy and windy, mixed with a couple of lots of snow. Upto about July last year, when we almost had no rain, since July it feels almost like non stop rain since.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    That's global warming for you. Making everywhere colder for longer. Wait a minute...

Seriously though, it seems like the seasons have moved since I was young. I used to think of November/December/January as winter, but nowadays it's still relatively warm in November and still freezing in February, so winter is more like late December, Jan, Feb and a bit of March! I was playing golf in October and November in shorts still.

I'm of the same opinion, the winter season definitely seems to have shifted, starting later and running into March for the last copuple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    If you follow the weather from around the world and the effect different events have, the La Niña event last year does have an impact on the weather in the UK and Europe, so the La Niña event could be to blame for the prolonged winter we are seeing.

Also if you follow the different large metrological feeds on twitter they are saying there is a strong possibility of some very cold weather and the likelihood of snow for all the UK middle and toward the end of February, due to the sudden stratospheric warming that is occurring.
    As long as it's moved on by the time we go to Turnberry

In terms of snow we've got away with it largely in Berkshire. A lot of rain has fallen but nowhere near the deluges we had over a couple of winters a few years back. It's the wind and the bitter cold I've struggled with this winter and it's been miserable trying to play or getting any enthusiasm to practice

I think it was only 3 years ago that I had to mow the back lawn between Christmas and New year.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Journeyman Pro

You southern softies have no idea what a long cold winter is

After the Rubbish summers of the early 2000s, Global Warming was renamed Climate Change!!

Either way, it was cold in Cornwall this week....and we’ve had lots of snow in the Wye Valley this winter.

I think it’s called Weather
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    You southern softies have no idea what a long cold winter is
    Happy to be soft 😁😁😁
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

We were just talking about this at work yesterday. The winter seems to have gone on for ages, but, it hasn't really been any worse than the average year. Yes we've had some snow, but, if it was really that bad our energy budget would have been blown out the water as it was in 2009 & 2010. In reality we're still under budget. Still, it will be nice to see the end of the white stuff, either frost or snow 😉

Journeyman Pro

I think it has been a hugely long winter but may be that's because this is possibly the first time ever I've been so keen to play golf in the winter but the fact I haven't played on full greens since mid November tells me it's been a long and suffering one.