Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Valentines, Easter cards, any point or....

....just a waste of money?

We tend to buy cards for :-

• Easter
    • Christmas
    • Valentines
    • Fathers/Mothers Day
    • Halloween
    • New Year

Along with cards for Birthdays, births, deaths, weddings, engagements, new home/job, passing a test/exam of some sort, retirement, but is there really any point?

For me a lot of cards are just a pointless waste of money. I mean take today, 14th Feb, Valentines day, why do you need to spend a fortune on a card that will stay stood for 1 possibly 2 days before it goes in the bin and then there is the over priced flowers, surely people don't need one day a year to remind them that they love someone.

I do understand that people have relatives all over the world and that sending a card is a way of expressing their feelings from afar.

But Easter, Valentines, Halloween, New Year, are cards for those events really necessary?

Yes the option is there for you not to buy one, but the fact they are there pressures people into thinking they are somehow lacking or are bereft of thought if they do not.

Me and he missus didn't buy each other cards today, no flowers or chocs or wine, instead we are going out and spending what we have in the past on a nice meal and enjoying each others company. BY nice meal I mean something of the specials board at the pub quiz tonight.

Re: Valentines, Easter cards, any point or....

We don't do Valentine's cards... strangely enough we went to bed together last night and woke up together. Maybe we even care for each other.... well, she is good at ironing.

We do buy each other a fancy Christmas card but there's a specific quirky theme to them and its more of a personal tradition thing. Birthday cards we're not fussed about - who needs reminding they are getting old.

Didn't even know you could get a Halloween card, and I'm vaguely aware of Easter cards!

Mum and dad are both gone, for both of us - God, how I wish we could buy another card for them!

As for spending a fortune on a card, c'mon, its only a few quid. Over priced, probably but surely its the sentiment that's important.
    Give it big humpties

Think last Xmas we sent/received the fewest number of cards I can recollect... Think that is one 'celebration' that has gone 'digital'... Can't remember ever sending/receiving Easter cards... Birthday cards are now just for the kids or 'special' birthdays... And, for me, Valentines has only ever been one card per year... So, even for a tightwad like me no biggie...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    We don't do Valentine's cards... strangely enough we went to bed together last night and woke up together. Maybe we even care for each other.... well, she is good at ironing.

We do buy each other a fancy Christmas card but there's a specific quirky theme to them and its more of a personal tradition thing. Birthday cards we're not fussed about - who needs reminding they are getting old.

Didn't even know you could get a Halloween card, and I'm vaguely aware of Easter cards!

Mum and dad are both gone, for both of us - God, how I wish we could buy another card for them!

As for spending a fortune on a card, c'mon, its only a few quid. Over priced, probably but surely its the sentiment that's important.
    We bought cards - it just shows we (actually I) haven't forgotten - and as in my Valentine's thread - we did meet on Valentine's Day - and got engaged on Valentine's day - so it's a wee bit special for us.

I used to buy my mum a Mothers Day card - and the children still give cards. Sometimes I get a Father's Day card - but I'm not bothered.

Birthday Cards - immediate family only. Though dearest seems to have a list of all her girl pals and they all get one...

We still send a fair few Christmas Cards. At church we have a Christmas Greetings board and give to our chosen Christmas Charity what we might have spent giving cards to other church members.

Halloween Cards - tosh!
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

It may not be a fortune, but for a reasonably decent card with poignant sentiment in the verse, you're still looking at 5 or more for what is essentially coloured card and envelope. People will read this and think skint flint, but I don't need to spend money on a (valentines) card to express my love. I can and do tell my missus everyday that I love her and rather than be her flowers when an event dictates, I'll buy her them when she least expects them,

Ryder Cup Winner

I got one referring to me as being Mr Right........signed inside by Mrs Always-Right.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    At church we have a Christmas Greetings board and give to our chosen Christmas Charity what we might have spent giving cards to other church members.
    A year or two back one or wor lasses friends, said she as no longer going to send Christmas cards out and instead of spending X on the cards, she was going to donate that amount to charity, which I think is a far better idea.

Valentine's day, Mothers day and Fathers day is everyday imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Valentine's day, Mothers day and Fathers day is everyday imo.
    100% agree, shouldn't need one day a year to remind you.

I agree largely. Christmas just gone I only bought three cards - one for the missus, one for my parents and one for my nan. Didn't bother for anyone else, they just get put up for a week and then binned. I will probably get the missus a Valentine card, only because she finds it cute and it won't cost much. I haven't bought it yet though, will just grab one on the way home probably.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8