Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

Having played with Rick and Peter Finch at H4H at Camberley Heath, he was far from chopping it on the day. Yes he was over par but was hardly in tournament mode and definitely going for his shots. I would think playing a pro-am with Liam from GolfVlogsUK was far more about having a laugh and not really trying to win it especially after the first round.

It's a balancing act surely. He is making a living from Youtube but also has a full client list having lessons and then trying to find a game to play in local pro-am events (usually in the UK). Not sure how easy it is to combine all of that and it seems Peter Finch is perhaps more focused on his playing and teaching as opposed to necessarily making it as a huge youtube presence.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Having played with Rick and Peter Finch at H4H at Camberley Heath, he was far from chopping it on the day. Yes he was over par but was hardly in tournament mode and definitely going for his shots. I would think playing a pro-am with Liam from GolfVlogsUK was far more about having a laugh and not really trying to win it especially after the first round.

It's a balancing act surely. He is making a living from Youtube but also has a full client list having lessons and then trying to find a game to play in local pro-am events (usually in the UK). Not sure how easy it is to combine all of that and it seems Peter Finch is perhaps more focused on his playing and teaching as opposed to necessarily making it as a huge youtube presence.
    I'm pretty sure both of them only teach a couple of days a week now.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    I think, from memory, that one time you only had to have a handicap of 8 to become a pro. Outside of being a teacher in an education establishment you could only be a pro if you wanted to earn money from teaching golf.

Bad weeks are bad weeks for us all.
    When I turned pro you had to be off 4 or less
    During the 3 year degree course, you start off at 4.0, you have to play 21 PGA events and return every card to the PGA.
    At the end of the 3 years, you still have to be off 4 to qualify as a pro.

I'm sure Ricks priorities right now are spending his free time with his young family.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by karlcole View Post
    Just my
    Personal opinion thatís all. If Iím paying for a lesson I expect the pro to be at a decent standard. Hacking 3 rounds on average +14 isnít what Iíd expect. I get the odd round happens for sure but a pro having 3 shocking rounds in a row on a pro am? Just something Iíve never seen before. We can all have an option though 👍🏻
    Easily done!! He probably spen more tim e 'helping' the Ams than he did concentratiing on his game! Seen it happen quite often - even with top (Euro level) Pros!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

I've no idea how "good" the pro is that I see. I do know if I could hit any club as well as he hits a 7 iron whilst talking to me then I would be halving my handicap in no time. I do believe he is very good at imparting his knowledge to me though and I value that. No idea how he would do in one of these tournaments but as he spends most of his time teaching and not practicing then surely it would not be a surprise if his scoring was not razor sharp.

Mountain out of a molehill here.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26į Hybrid, Ping G25 23į Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    Maybe hes a good coach, maybe not, he doesn't seemed to have made rob potter any better..

but Would you be happy scoring 41 over for 3 rounds?
    No, but that doesn't mean I'm not capable of doing it..
    I'm sure he's not jumping for joy with the result either but we can all play badly.
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.8 at Whipsnade Park

H4H Handicap challenge Vs r0wly86

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Journeyman Pro

Don't really see a massive connection with being a coach and what someone can score.

Hopefully he laughed tho the bad rounds with his playing partners, as everyone has them.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWilliams View Post
    Don't really see a massive connection with being a coach and what someone can score.

Hopefully he laughed tho the bad rounds with his playing partners, as everyone has them.
    Rick's not your typical PGA Professional focused on coaching though is he. This is a guy that's trying to qualify for The Open, which I think is where the shock at his scoring comes from. He's not playing for a laugh, he's working to compete with some of the best players in the world to qualify for The Open, he shouldn't be only just breaking 90 on a resort course in a Pro-Am.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 12

Lancaster GC

Journeyman Pro

Dress it up any way you wish, +41 for 3 rounds wouldn't be great for a 10 capper never mind a pro, there must be something more to this. One possibly two bad rounds but three on the bounce for someone of that ability makes me think injury or something. It's not good for his reputation thaat's for sure.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2501 View Post
    Rick's not your typical PGA Professional focused on coaching though is he. This is a guy that's trying to qualify for The Open, which I think is where the shock at his scoring comes from. He's not playing for a laugh, he's working to compete with some of the best players in the world to qualify for The Open, he shouldn't be only just breaking 90 on a resort course in a Pro-Am.
    I think you're over evaluating his series of videos. His main goal was to create interesting videos that will primarily increase his viewer numbers and build his brand. His sole purpose in golf isn't to play in the open, which I think makes a huge difference to him been able to achieve it.

I think the biggest factor when selecting a coach is your trust in their ability to teach you and their understanding of the swing. Some people are able to get that across to their pupils with out been able to implement it themselves to the highest level.
    Last edited by Cheifi0; 14-Feb-2018 at 14:02.

2015 Handicap: 19.1,19.3,17.7,15.8, 14.9, 14.3, 12.6, 13.1
    2016 Handicap 13.4, 12.8