Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Money List Winner

Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    TBF Rick plays a lot more golf than your normal teaching professional. He should really be playing at a better standard than he is.

In saying that.to become a teaching pro, He has obviously had his handicap as low as 4 or better and passed the playing test which if I remember correctly he said he was very nervous about (as you would be). His ability cannot therefore really be questioned.

Rick these days watching the vlogs, strikes me as someone who would have a mid singles handicap. The ability to go pretty low on a good day especially with his length and also the hooks to shoot well into the teens over par on a bad day.

Pete always did look the better player. Seems to have controlled power and a smoother swing.
    I think Pete still wants to be a golfer thatís on YouTube. Rick strikes me as a wanting to be a youtuber with golf simply being the medium he uses to do so.

Pete certainly seems more committed to improvement, Rick being a little more show. I can still recall his early videos at the Trafford centre where he was smoking all his drives 300yards plus in the middle of winter.......
    Handicap Challenge: Papas1982 18.1 Vs Fish 18.0

Journeyman Pro

the old saying of those who can't do.. teach

I must be a cracking coach!
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-PW SM5 vokey wedges 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 2 Ball with superstroke mid 2.0 grip

Quote Originally Posted by Papas1982 View Post
    I donít think having 3 shocking rounds makes him a bad coach. That being said, Iíd still have concerns if I witnessed a pro perform that badly. Granted for all I know, all teaching pros can play that poorly, but out of sight and all that.

All these suggestions that you want someone who can teach and not necessarily do are a little idealistic imo. He got to a decent standard to become a teaching pro. If teaching is now simply a sideline income. Whoís to say he pays anymore attention to instruction than he does practice....
    I have been playing Pro Ams for the last 5 years and every single time you see pros have mares - these guys are all PGA Pros with many coaching at county level and some coaching tour players and elite amateurs.

Seen pros that teach tour players go round in double figures over par - the winning scores are normally level par with many being 6-10 over - perfect example - two years ago at Newmarket Pro Am in a field of 30 Pros only 2 broke par - my score was better than all but one but 90% a fully established coaches doing very well

But itís totally different when it comes to teaching - some of these guys have proven track records when it comes to teaching - Poulter and Hulls Ex coach for example - one of the best PGA coaches around - not the best on the course though

It world of difference having the ability to hit the ball very well to being able to teach someone to hit the ball - anyone who is going to a PGA Pro for a lesson should look at his track record for coaching not playing
    Last edited by Liverpoolphil; 14-Feb-2018 at 07:40.

I watch the majority of Rick Shiels vids, especially the on course stuff because I've played a lot of the courses he plays. He is a very decent golfer. In his early days he was probably better than Finch, but in more recent times Finch is better. That said, there isn't much between them, and some days its Shiels that plays better.

I watched the vids from the Lumine pro-am. They had a blast, though not quite conducive to concentrating and good golf. And I dare say as the score went south the level of commitment to putting a good score diminished.

Is he a good coach? I don't know but I do know that he will have reached a decent level otherwise he wouldn't have passed his pga exams.

So he put in a bad score, so what.
    Give it big humpties

Rory has a 5 putt so he's a crap putter
    Rick shoots a million so he's a bad coach...
    All from the many experts on here..
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    Rory has a 5 putt so he's a crap putter
    Rick shoots a million so he's a bad coach...
    All from the many experts on here..
    Maybe hes a good coach, maybe not, he doesn't seemed to have made rob potter any better..

but Would you be happy scoring 41 over for 3 rounds?
    COYS

The last few vlogs I've watched his short game has been almost as dismal as mine, which isn't going to help him score on greens as fast as those they were playing.
    Clubs - Various wooden woods. xVarious bladed irons. xVarious strange old putters. xxxIt's not all about the score. xx
    Handicap - 12.0

Head Pro

Khamelion has had a lesson off Rick hasn't he?......I seem to remember he was very positive about the lesson, maybe he can shed some light on him as a coach.

Money List Winner

I'd be surprised if anyone watches his videos to get some useful coaching, so in a way it does not overly matter how good he is at being a coach nowadays. As with most of the golf YouTubers, you watch them for some entertainment, if you want some useful specific practical advice then go see a pro yourself.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    Maybe hes a good coach, maybe not, he doesn't seemed to have made rob potter any better..

but Would you be happy scoring 41 over for 3 rounds?
    But isn't there a strong argument that the vast majority of improvement is down to the individual. I'm pretty sure Rob Potter has been injured a lot recently. I could get coached by Cowen, Leadbetter and Harmon, but with the time I actually have to practice nowadays I would not improve much at all.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.