Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 134
  1. #21
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,791

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    Can't recall the last time I seen Butch out playing on yt, that aside, he can clearly play(Sheils), watched enough of his course vlogs to see that.

  2. #22
    Hall of Famer Liverpoolphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    38,863

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    this is a guy making a living from promoting his efforts to qualify for the open. so no its.not at all unreasonable to expect a decent standard from him.
    His living is based on his coaching and teaching is it not as well as articles

    Isnít trying to qualify for the Open a sideline and something he is trying for himself and again itís one Pro Am.

  3. #23
    Blackballed
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,071

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    His living is based on his coaching and teaching is it not as well as articles

    Isnít trying to qualify for the Open a sideline and something he is trying for himself and again itís one Pro Am.
    a sideline.......right

  4. #24
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,208

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    His living is based on his coaching and teaching is it not as well as articles

    Isnít trying to qualify for the Open a sideline and something he is trying for himself and again itís one Pro Am.
    As per usual mate you talk a lot of sense yet people continue to crusade against your common sense.

    If I turned pro as a teacher Iíd pretty much quit golf and focus on being a coach.

    People Ďexpectingí him to play well are stupid, and people who watch the Ďquest for the opení thinking that Shiels genuinely has or thinks he has a chance to qualify are even stupider. Itís a marketing series to get you to come back, nothing more

  5. #25
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Worcester Park
    Posts
    6,129

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by karlcole View Post
    Just my
    Personal opinion thatís all. If Iím paying for a lesson I expect the pro to be at a decent standard. Hacking 3 rounds on average +14 isnít what Iíd expect. I get the odd round happens for sure but a pro having 3 shocking rounds in a row on a pro am? Just something Iíve never seen before. We can all have an option though 
    Fair enough. For me, if I'm paying for a lesson I want someone who can identify the fault & explain to me how to fix it. Couldn't care less how well he can or can't hit a ball as I'm not paying to see that.

    Gianfranco Zola was a cracking footballer with a dreadful coaching record. Jose Mourinho has an absolutely rank record as a player but one of the best records in modern coaching. Who would you employ to coach your team; would it be Gianfranco, because Jose can't play the game?

  6. #26
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    5,609

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by MendieGK View Post
    As per usual mate you talk a lot of sense yet people continue to crusade against your common sense.

    If I turned pro as a teacher Iíd pretty much quit golf and focus on being a coach.

    People Ďexpectingí him to play well are stupid, and people who watch the Ďquest for the opení thinking that Shiels genuinely has or thinks he has a chance to qualify are even stupider. Itís a marketing series to get you to come back, nothing more


    I'd love to know if the people commenting on his playing ability ask a pro they're seeing for a lesson to go out for a round first to see if they're good enough!?

    Coaching/teaching is a hugely different skill from playing/doing in pretty much every discipline you can imagine FFS!

    Edit: I'm not a fan of Shiels before that gets chucked in, watched enough poor golf during Open Qualifying at my place to know any "pro" is capable of a horrendous score!

    Edit Edit: I've just seen that he was hosting the whole thing aswell so can't imagine his score was the most important thing on his mind.
    Last edited by NWJocko; 13-Feb-2018 at 23:21.
    H'cap = 4.5

  7. #27
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,208

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by NWJocko View Post


    I'd love to know if the people commenting on his playing ability ask a pro they're seeing for a lesson to go out for a round first to see if they're good enough!?

    Coaching/teaching is a hugely different skill from playing/doing in pretty much every discipline you can imagine FFS!

    Edit: I'm not a fan of Shiels before that gets chucked in, watched enough poor golf during Open Qualifying at my place to know any "pro" is capable of a horrendous score!

    Edit Edit: I've just seen that he was hosting the whole thing aswell so can't imagine his score was the most important thing on his mind.
    Would also add thereís no evidence to suggest heís even a good coach.....

    Heís a very successful marketer and you tuber no doubt about it but that doesnít automatically make you a good coach

  8. #28
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    5,609

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by MendieGK View Post
    Would also add thereís no evidence to suggest heís even a good coach.....

    Heís a very successful marketer and you tuber no doubt about it but that doesnít automatically make you a good coach
    True, never been to him for a lesson even when he was down the road from me so may not be that good, it was a generic statement that is true across most sports IMO.

    TBH the YouTubers now that must be their main source of income? Coaching etc is now a sideline for them, pretty sure they only did/do 1 day a week coaching the rest making videos when they were local to me.
    H'cap = 4.5

  9. #29
    Ryder Cup Winner garyinderry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,215

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    TBF Rick plays a lot more golf than your normal teaching professional. He should really be playing at a better standard than he is.

    In saying that.to become a teaching pro, He has obviously had his handicap as low as 4 or better and passed the playing test which if I remember correctly he said he was very nervous about (as you would be). His ability cannot therefore really be questioned.


    Rick these days watching the vlogs, strikes me as someone who would have a mid singles handicap. The ability to go pretty low on a good day especially with his length and also the hooks to shoot well into the teens over par on a bad day.


    Pete always did look the better player. Seems to have controlled power and a smoother swing.
    Titleist 915 D3 7.5*
    Titleist 915 15*
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Odyssey prototype 2ball black series putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--(2018)8.2...7.6

  10. #30
    Money List Winner Papas1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    6,027

    Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

    I donít think having 3 shocking rounds makes him a bad coach. That being said, Iíd still have concerns if I witnessed a pro perform that badly. Granted for all I know, all teaching pros can play that poorly, but out of sight and all that.

    All these suggestions that you want someone who can teach and not necessarily do are a little idealistic imo. He got to a decent standard to become a teaching pro. If teaching is now simply a sideline income. Whoís to say he pays anymore attention to instruction than he does practice....
    My own H4H. Challenge. Get to 16 or pop £20in the pot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News

Francesco Molinari wins BMW PGA Championship

Italyís Francesco Molinari produced a final round of 68 at Wentworth to win the BMW PGA Championship by two shots from Northern Irelandís Rory McIlroy.

May 27, 2018

BMW PGA Championship 2018 Tee Times: Round Three

Leader Rory McIlroy tees off at 1.20pm in the final group with Sam Horsfield

May 25, 2018

WATCH: Thomas Pieters Snaps Club On His Neck

The Belgian showed some anger, as well as serious neck strength, in snapping his club during the BMW PGA Championship

May 25, 2018

Noren After Playing With McIlroy: ďIím About To Quit GolfĒ

The Swede joked he would give the game up after witnessing McIlroy's 65 on day two of the BMW PGA Championship

May 25, 2018

Rory McIlroy Lights Up Wentworth With 65 To Lead BMW PGA

The four-time major winner is in a commanding position after 36 holes

May 25, 2018