Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Journeyman Pro

Re: Rick Shiels shoots +41 Iím 3 rounds

Can't recall the last time I seen Butch out playing on yt, that aside, he can clearly play(Sheils), watched enough of his course vlogs to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    this is a guy making a living from promoting his efforts to qualify for the open. so no its.not at all unreasonable to expect a decent standard from him.
    His living is based on his coaching and teaching is it not as well as articles

Isnít trying to qualify for the Open a sideline and something he is trying for himself and again itís one Pro Am.

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post

Isnít trying to qualify for the Open a sideline and something he is trying for himself and again itís one Pro Am.
    a sideline.......right

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post

As per usual mate you talk a lot of sense yet people continue to crusade against your common sense.

If I turned pro as a teacher Iíd pretty much quit golf and focus on being a coach.

People Ďexpectingí him to play well are stupid, and people who watch the Ďquest for the opení thinking that Shiels genuinely has or thinks he has a chance to qualify are even stupider. Itís a marketing series to get you to come back, nothing more

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by karlcole View Post
    Just my
    Personal opinion thatís all. If Iím paying for a lesson I expect the pro to be at a decent standard. Hacking 3 rounds on average +14 isnít what Iíd expect. I get the odd round happens for sure but a pro having 3 shocking rounds in a row on a pro am? Just something Iíve never seen before. We can all have an option though 
    Fair enough. For me, if I'm paying for a lesson I want someone who can identify the fault & explain to me how to fix it. Couldn't care less how well he can or can't hit a ball as I'm not paying to see that.

Gianfranco Zola was a cracking footballer with a dreadful coaching record. Jose Mourinho has an absolutely rank record as a player but one of the best records in modern coaching. Who would you employ to coach your team; would it be Gianfranco, because Jose can't play the game?

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MendieGK View Post
    As per usual mate you talk a lot of sense yet people continue to crusade against your common sense.

If I turned pro as a teacher Iíd pretty much quit golf and focus on being a coach.

People Ďexpectingí him to play well are stupid, and people who watch the Ďquest for the opení thinking that Shiels genuinely has or thinks he has a chance to qualify are even stupider. Itís a marketing series to get you to come back, nothing more

I'd love to know if the people commenting on his playing ability ask a pro they're seeing for a lesson to go out for a round first to see if they're good enough!?

Coaching/teaching is a hugely different skill from playing/doing in pretty much every discipline you can imagine FFS!

Edit: I'm not a fan of Shiels before that gets chucked in, watched enough poor golf during Open Qualifying at my place to know any "pro" is capable of a horrendous score!

Edit Edit: I've just seen that he was hosting the whole thing aswell so can't imagine his score was the most important thing on his mind.
    Last edited by NWJocko; 13-Feb-2018 at 23:21.
    H'cap = 4.5

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by NWJocko View Post

I'd love to know if the people commenting on his playing ability ask a pro they're seeing for a lesson to go out for a round first to see if they're good enough!?

Coaching/teaching is a hugely different skill from playing/doing in pretty much every discipline you can imagine FFS!

Edit: I'm not a fan of Shiels before that gets chucked in, watched enough poor golf during Open Qualifying at my place to know any "pro" is capable of a horrendous score!

Edit Edit: I've just seen that he was hosting the whole thing aswell so can't imagine his score was the most important thing on his mind.
    Would also add thereís no evidence to suggest heís even a good coach.....

Heís a very successful marketer and you tuber no doubt about it but that doesnít automatically make you a good coach

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MendieGK View Post
    Would also add thereís no evidence to suggest heís even a good coach.....

Heís a very successful marketer and you tuber no doubt about it but that doesnít automatically make you a good coach
    True, never been to him for a lesson even when he was down the road from me so may not be that good, it was a generic statement that is true across most sports IMO.

TBH the YouTubers now that must be their main source of income? Coaching etc is now a sideline for them, pretty sure they only did/do 1 day a week coaching the rest making videos when they were local to me.
    H'cap = 4.5

TBF Rick plays a lot more golf than your normal teaching professional. He should really be playing at a better standard than he is.

In saying that.to become a teaching pro, He has obviously had his handicap as low as 4 or better and passed the playing test which if I remember correctly he said he was very nervous about (as you would be). His ability cannot therefore really be questioned.

Rick these days watching the vlogs, strikes me as someone who would have a mid singles handicap. The ability to go pretty low on a good day especially with his length and also the hooks to shoot well into the teens over par on a bad day.

Pete always did look the better player. Seems to have controlled power and a smoother swing.
    Titleist 915 D3 7.5*
    Titleist 915 15*
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Odyssey prototype 2ball black series putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--(2018)8.2...7.6

I donít think having 3 shocking rounds makes him a bad coach. That being said, Iíd still have concerns if I witnessed a pro perform that badly. Granted for all I know, all teaching pros can play that poorly, but out of sight and all that.

All these suggestions that you want someone who can teach and not necessarily do are a little idealistic imo. He got to a decent standard to become a teaching pro. If teaching is now simply a sideline income. Whoís to say he pays anymore attention to instruction than he does practice....
    My own H4H. Challenge. Get to 16 or pop £20in the pot.