Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Swing, Help!

Journeyman Pro

Re: My Swing, Help!

Quote Originally Posted by 123* View Post
    Hi all,

I previously posted my swing but didn’t get too much feedback, anyone got any ideas on what I should be working on?

This swing is with a 6 iron.
    Would really appreciate any feedback!
    welcome along
    you'll have to pay no mind to some of the replies
    often times some folks here seem to have little patience - unless it's one of their own initiated threads

& also attempted humor doesn't always translate too good in plain old blk & white text

as well as looking at a swing on video that also has to go along with some general info around 'shot results' that are happening what the issues/problems being experienced out in play - as not just what the swing looks like it's what happens to the ball in play

what kind 'stuff' is causing the most trouble

ball strike inconsistencies - fats/thins
    ball starting direction

issues over hitting the ball too high which ties with weak flight not too good distance
    having a ways too much curvature to the ball flight either leftfield or rightfield

sure can see a few things in the set-up & in the motion that it would pay to have a look at - best & quickest ways to fix that is a 1 to 1 lesson with a pga pro

so just generally things would probably have to start with the grip hold - you look at the set-up here you can see there's no real angle between the arms & the club they pretty much along the same plane (& sure my friend bryson is about as much planar as you can get - but wouldn't advise that for folks in general)

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sho...ok-pulls/page2

have a look at #20 in this thread the bit speaking to the lead hand & picking up a suitcase

& also #25 the piece speaking to how the lead wrist will have a tad of ulnar deviation in it to place the club head down behind the ball - the video in this post shows that wrist condition

so also notice in the video how the set-up then has a bunch more angle between the arms & the club from the dtl viewpoint
    notice also how this means standing a tad closer to the ball so the hands are approx vertically below the chin & there's just a tad a hint of flex in the knee joints - no real bend - just the knees kinda unlocked so the legs are not over-straight

if you put your video in slo-mo speed 0.25 by using the settings wheel under bottom right corner of vid - then just skip to where the club starts to move off - you can see how the trail arm trail elbow moves in tight around the body so if you pause the club when the shaft is 1st horizontal to the ground you will see just how much it's pointing the shaft so clubhead behind the legs & the butt end of the club is pointing 'out' over ball target line

so this is meaning the backswing is real narrow & tight-is to the body so the backswing then has to stop real short

if you can get the drift of changing the grip hold (lesson would be best ways) then off your right toes & towards camera/phone place an alignment stick of a club that's parallel to the footline & so also the ball/target line & practice the first part of the takeback to that club shaft being 1st horizontal to ground when then is should be around parallel to the footline & the ball/target line so the clubhead is pointing straight back to the lens with the hands/handle on that same in-line position & the leading edge of the club here would also be around parallel to the spine angle - if you check the video in post #25 you will see all of this happening as you look at what's happening as the club gets taken back away from the ball

hope some of that might be of some help to you
    but as said for sure lesson the best ways to go - it's not 'dead' money as many folks think - will save a ton of heartbreak for sure - good luck - if you of a mind to & need to ask any questions just send a pm no problem - but get that lesson
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M3 9.5º M Tensei Orange TX
    3metal:TM M3 15º M Tensei CK Pro White TX
    5metal: TM M3 19º M Tensei Ck Pro White TX
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Head Pro

I imagine you struggle with distance??

2 things I notice

1) you hold the club quite upright - try and have it more pointing towards you belt buckle - as currenty it forces you to have quite a gap between handle and body and little angle between club and hands. point the butt at the buckle and this will get your arms to drop down, loosen up and prevents the hands being to far in front.
    2) Currently you bring your hands forward in front of you at beginning of swing and then rotate behind. Imagine there's a line on the floor across your feet and bring you hands on line with that. This will encourage you also to swing up and not be<script id="gpt-impl-0.4849258302076985" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_179.js"></script>hind! (as it looks like you get a little trapped there)

However I do like your set up! its very good and you also have good rotation. You initiate the downswing well by rotating with your hips first. I also like your short back swing! its Rahm-esk.
    Last edited by lukeysafc100; 13-Feb-2018 at 14:13.
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

My two pence.

Set up looks good to me, athletic pose, there is some knee bend, though not a lot so you can add a bit more. In general just relax a bit more, you look very tense which means your muscles will be tight where they shouldn't and I dare say you may be gripping too tight as a result.

Your take away, your right elbow seems to be bent throughout your back swing which makes it look like you are fighting your own body to get into the right position at the top swing.

Also your left shoulder has an exaggerated dip during the rotation. The rotation is good but the added dip is just another motion that will make it difficult to replicate time and time again.

All that comes with a caveat that I am not a pro, I wouldn't know where to begin in fixing any faults. But that is what popped out to me
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802

Medal Winner

My worst golf tip when on the course and you hit a bad shot, your partner says 'Keep your head down'. There should be a law against this. 2 shot penalty at least.
    If someone tries to guide you then tell them to go prove it and get par or better on every hole for the rest of the round.

Off the course, get advice but beware of absurd 'secrets' and 'magic moves'. There aren't any. Keep in mind that golf is practice and inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanovic View Post
    My worst golf tip when on the course and you hit a bad shot, your partner says 'Keep your head down'. There should be a law against this. 2 shot penalty at least.
    If someone tries to guide you then tell them to go prove it and get par or better on every hole for the rest of the round.
    Keep your head still is much better

Quote Originally Posted by stefanovic View Post
    Off the course, get advice but beware of absurd 'secrets' and 'magic moves'. There aren't any. Keep in mind that golf is practice and inspiration.
    .......and good advice.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Many thanks to everyone who has replied! I really do appreciate all of the help! I will reply to all of the posts individually. Just currently on holiday at the minute so will get back to everyone on my return! Thanks again to everyone.

Hi all,

Many thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated.

In terms of my patterns/shots, I play with a fade which turns into more of a slice with my hybrids/driver. I hit the ball very high but don't really have any issues with distance, I hit the ball just as far as some of the people playing off single figures I play with. Struggle to hit anything longer than a 6 iron, hybrids and 4 irons are incredibly inconsistent, I hit the ball fat more often than thin/picking it off the turf. Not sure if any of that helps in any way?

Totally get what you guys are saying, looked at some slow-mos of some tour players and the angle their club/arms create is much more than mine, I will work on that. Also realise what you're saying about the hands in that they need to go back and up as opposed to working around my body!

My awkward backswing comes from playing a lot of cricket, it certainly doesn't feel as short as it appears on video! Whenever I try to extend it it feels like I am overswinging massively!

Appreciate all of your help!

Hi all,

Tried a few things today at the range, found myself shanking lots!

Any thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngeFiNly5vA

Medal Winner

Don't go to the range, it is not a golf course. No courses have such wide fairways, You are almost certainly going to groove your faults. That's what shanking proves.
    Once you get the shanks you have a very hard road ahead to rid yourself. There is no easy solution.

You are rolling your wrists clockwise at the start of the backswing and swinging behind yourself.

When the shaft is parallel with the ground and the clubhead is hand height on the backswing , the clubface ideally should be parallel with your spine angle and the shaft pointing at the target.

You can see below Luke Donald has it spot on whereas yours isn't quite right.

Photo2.jpgdg.jpg

Try and get into Luke's position and the shanks will go.
    This will require practice
    Hope this helps
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself