Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: The Oxfam 'Scandal'

So if this isn’t a “scandal”, what is it?
    With what’s coming out concerning recent behaviour both home and abroad, perhaps the title should be changed?.
    To me, I’m seeing similarities between Oxfam and the Catholic Church with their covering up of illegal activities.
    Forever trying.

In my experience, most of the senior management at these charities are working there because it is a well-paid job, nothing to do with the charity or the good causes they aim to represent. I saw a ton of financial mismanagement and waste at one very well known UK charity and would never ever give anything to them again.

We should remember that these charities do a lot of good, but, when you see they made a profit of £408 million a few years back and they received over £60 million combined from our Gov and the EU in the last financial year it sticks in my throat.
    These fat cats abusing their position with the very people they are meant to help is disgusting.
    Saw at first hand these NGO’s driving round Bosnia and Kosovo in their Landcruisers, staying in the best hotels and bragging how much they’d make while being there.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Before we cancel our Oxfam direct debits and stop supporting them through their shops, read this. Perhaps it's better to question their procedures rather than withdraw support.

https://onlinecham.com/2018/02/12/oxfam/
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Before we cancel our Oxfam direct debits and stop supporting them through their shops, read this. Perhaps it's better to question their procedures rather than withdraw support.

https://onlinecham.com/2018/02/12/oxfam/
    if their procedures are that lax and terrible, how can you trust them with the roughly £400mill they have to play with each year?
    They are donated money to help those needy and impoverished people around the World, not to run luxury lifestyles with villas and sexual favours.
    Just as VW were ultimately responsible for the major anti diesel feelings, Oxfam may well be seen as the VW of the charity world.
    Instead of trying to defend them, condemn it for the reprehensible behaviour that it is.
    Forever trying.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    if their procedures are that lax and terrible, how can you trust them with the roughly £400mill they have to play with each year?
    They are donated money to help those needy and impoverished people around the World, not to run luxury lifestyles with villas and sexual favours.
    Just as VW were ultimately responsible for the major anti diesel feelings, Oxfam may well be seen as the VW of the charity world.
    Instead of trying to defend them, condemn it for the reprehensible behaviour that it is.
    I'm not defending them - I'm just asking the question...
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Pretty fair summary from my perspective

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    In my experience, most of the senior management at these charities are working there because it is a well-paid job, nothing to do with the charity or the good causes they aim to represent. I saw a ton of financial mismanagement and waste at one very well known UK charity and would never ever give anything to them again.
    If you look into most of the biggest charities, in any sector, this is true. A very, very small percentage of money raised is actually used to the effect the charity promotes, almost like businesses. Note that is not to downgrade the role they play in terms of publicising issues etc it is just a fact.

It is why, in the main, I don't support "big" charities anymore as I'd rather 90p in my £1 donated goes to use through a smaller charity than 10p in my £1 through a "big" one.

I bet the majority of the UK public would be shocked at how little of their charitable giving actually ends up anywhere near supporting causes they thought they were when donating.

In terms of the Oxfam situation FairwayDodgers post sums it up perfectly for me
    H'cap = 4.5

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I'm not defending them - I'm just asking the question...
    Well it would seem you're not looking very hard for the answer yourself then

Why are you asking the question out of interest? Quick to condemn many others in other arena's (political etc) but you seem to be "OK" with this? Does your church (local/parish/denominational) have links to them by any chance?
    Last edited by NWJocko; 13-Feb-2018 at 23:15.
    H'cap = 4.5

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Pathetic Shark View Post
    My sister did some accounting work at one of the well known ones based in London. This is also her considered view of the situation.