Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

The Oxfam 'Scandal'

As long as nothing illegal going on - is what has been uncovered just a reality for those living and working in very harsh environments, and the scandal is being blow up by those with a vested interest to be used as a stick to beat Overseas Aid?

Or is this a real scandal and a serious ethical problem?

Whichever way my feelings lie on this - and I am not sure where I am at the moment as I donate quite a lot to Oxfam (and support them through a lot of purchases in the local book shop) - I feel it is dangerous and counter-productive to cut support to Oxfam - thereby undermining the great and difficult work that Oxfam does in difficult and dangerous circumstances - cutting on the grounds of the behaviour of a few 'bad uns' and the perhaps misguided actions of senior management.

Were charities to have management of their staff and associated groups at the level required to spot and stop such behaviour - we and the Charities Commission would soon be jumping on the back of the charties for excessive admin and manegement costs.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 12-Feb-2018 at 13:26.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Re: The Oxfam 'Scandal'

As I understand the issue is Oxfam told porkies when challenged with regard the alleged 'incidents'...

In my experience there is only one outcome when you start off with lying...

You eventually get caught out...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Assistant Pro

From what I've read they are busily conflating the use of paid adult prostitutes and the sexual abuse of minors.The former is not something that aid workers should have been doing but the latter is at a totally different level of abhorrent behaviour. Why is this happening? The House of Commons scandal had the same thing with everything from a fleeting touch of a knee to rape being lumped in together.

Money List Winner

If you are going to be an aid worker then don't be a dick. Not all aid workers are dicks's as a lot do valuable and needed work. Just get rid of the ones that are.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    If you are going to be an aid worker then don't be a dick. Not all aid workers are dicks's as a lot do valuable and needed work. Just get rid of the ones that are.
    And, when found out for being a 'dick' tell the truth and admit to it...
    It'll work out as being a whole lot better in the long run...

By all accounts some of these 'dicks' have just moved on to being 'dicks' elsewhere...
    All because those in charge of 'dicks' thought it better/easier to cover up the 'dicks' rather than expose them..
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Journeyman Pro

It is uncomfortable reading but I'm not aware of the 'legality' or acceptance of prostitution in those countries so while I might be uneasy about the morality there may not be any illegal activity that justifies punishment.

Clearly the exploitation of the vulnerable (minors or others) must be condemed.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Oxfam Deputy CEO resigns accepting responsibility. What I am most uncomfortable about is the fact of lack of reporting to police is use of prostitutes in Haiti where prostitution is illegal.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

This will hammer Oxfam. Would you donate to them at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Oxfam Deputy CEO resigns accepting responsibility. What I am most uncomfortable about is the fact of lack of reporting to police is use of prostitutes in Haiti where prostitution is illegal.
    I think you'll find it was reported to the police at the time, but unsurprisingly they had lots of other things occupying thier time. It has also been said that similar happening went on in Chad in 2006.
    Disgusting behaviour.
    Forever trying.

I don't really understand the question. It seems that charity workers were exploiting the very people they were supposed to be helping. How is that not scandalous?
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 4 Hybrid
    Titleist AP3 Irons 5-PW, 48*
    Vokey 52*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

Paid up member of the PC Brigade.