Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: Yet another golfing Rule myth...

Quoting SILH from the thread about using your Provisional when your found ball is unplayable (which you can't)...

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I did this recently, hit ball into a big gorse bush on a par 3. What to do? I decided that were I to find it I might not be able to drop out of the gorse in one - and even if I were able to drop it out in one or take a line back I'd most likely have to be dropping it in deep heather and other horrid stuff and leaving myself with a blind 100yd shot to the green. So my best would be on the green in 3 - but that was not going to be easy.

Put a new ball into play I reckoned I could put it onto the green in 3 with a putt for 4 - no worse than a 5.

Which is what I did.

I had to walk past the gorse bush and found it - it wasn't playable.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Well not quite - after an 'oh dearie me' I just went to my bag - took a ball out - and told my playing companions that I was putting a new ball into play; and so nobody was mistaken about my intentions I also said - this is not a provisional it is a new ball being put into play - so I am playing 3. And so as soon as I hit it, my original ball was dead and an irrelevance to my subsequent play and score for the hole.
    I did pretty much exactly the same at a par 3, stuffed tee shot into a gorse bush that I was all too familiar with, and knew my only likely relief option would be a dodgy lie behind the bush to try to land on the unseen green without flying it inot the water beyond.

Me- I'm putting a new ball in play
    PP- You're playing a provisional?
    Me- no, it's not a provisional, it's a new ball in play
    PP- surely a new ball must be a provisional?
    Me- No, it's a new ball, which makes that ball in that bush no longer the ball in play.
    PP- (clearly confused) ok.

I hit new ball, thankfully on to green for 3, and we walk off the tee.

PP- (helpfully) I'll just have a quick look in the bush for your ball. Obviously you can't look because if you found it, you'd have to play it
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    Because I can think of a lot of occasions when you must mark the position of the ball before lifting it.

Eg lifting it to remove a movable obstruction (eg stone in a bunker).
    Really ?

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrown View Post
    That’s actually a rule in competition play.
    Two stroke penalty per hole played with over 14 clubs. 4 strokes max. Loss of hole in match play
    you can carry 28 clubs if you wish
    yours and your partners
    only have to identify them, and i know every single one of my clubs

shagster

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    you must mark your ball any time you pick it up.
    You must mark your ball if you intend to lift it for identification.
    Play it cool Trigger!

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Really ?
    Slightly hurried type I meant to say something like ball lying on top of a stone. Eg if the ball was clearly going to move.

My own personal view with regard to marking a ball's position before lifting it is that you are never going to incur a penalty for marking the balls position but may well if you do not.
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jim8flog View Post
    Slightly hurried type I meant to say something like ball lying on top of a stone. Eg if the ball was clearly going to move.

My own personal view with regard to marking a ball's position before lifting it is that you are never going to incur a penalty for marking the balls position but may well if you do not.
    There is no requirement to mark the ball if moving an immovable obstruction is likely to cause the ball to move. If the ball moves, just replace it. A loose impediment is, of course, different.

I agree with your last sentence.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by North Mimms View Post
    Quoting SILH from the thread about using your Provisional when your found ball is unplayable (which you can't)...

I did pretty much exactly the same at a par 3, stuffed tee shot into a gorse bush that I was all too familiar with, and knew my only likely relief option would be a dodgy lie behind the bush to try to land on the unseen green without flying it inot the water beyond.

Me- No, it's a new ball, which makes that ball in that bush no longer the ball in play.

PP- (helpfully) I'll just have a quick look in the bush for your ball. Obviously you can't look because if you found it, you'd have to play it
    LOL - love it...your PP just didn't believe you - or understand you
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

That would be an amazing way of ensuring that you won matchplay...
    Thunk- "you're playing 4"
    Thunk - "you're playing 6...."
    LOL. On every hole as well!!!! "Phew, it's really not your day is it".
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

Your signature fit in perfectly with the end of that story!