Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Range boredom - what do you do?

If your range has a 50yd flag/target, practice hitting to that using all your short irons/wedges.
    Vary the length of swing and hand position on the grip until you find a favourite combination...........
    eg
    GW, middle grip and hands shoulder height.

Once you have a comfortable 'go to' 50 yd shot you can vary it for 40 yds
    SW, middle grip and hands shoulder height.

Or 60yds
    PW, middle grip and hands shoulder height.

Then vary the ball position to change the ball flight for those windy days.

Then do the same at the 100yrd marker

That should keep you busy till about April
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    If your range has a 50yd flag/target, practice hitting to that using all your short irons/wedges.
    Vary the length of swing and hand position on the grip until you find a favourite combination...........
    eg

Or 60yds

The 50 yard or less shot has always been my Achilles heel. I've tended to lay up to about 120 for a full wedge in.
    But the above is what I've been doing recently, and I'm getting more and more confident in those little pitch shots.
    It's making a massive difference to my game... roll on summer!
    Handicap 13.5

Quote Originally Posted by Lazkir View Post
    The 50 yard or less shot has always been my Achilles heel. I've tended to lay up to about 120 for a full wedge in.
    But the above is what I've been doing recently, and I'm getting more and more confident in those little pitch shots.
    It's making a massive difference to my game... roll on summer!
    The brilliant thing is, once you 'get it' it's the easiest shot in the bag.

But, as we have read above, some love the range, some hate it. If you hate it, don't go.

Smiffy doesn't even know where it is
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

eg

Or 60yds

Really appreciate this Bob. Its my biggest problem area, and the area I practice the least.
    Give it big humpties

I must be a nutter!

Did a half hour with the pro and then upped sticks and went to the range this morning. I had 3 buckets under cover (sort of) in peeing rain blown in to the bays by gusty strong winds, just to try and groove the through swing 😂

Smiffy doesn't even know where it is
    Some of us rely on natural ability Bob.
    Cooden Beach Centenary Betterball Champion 2012 with Richart Handicap 13.0 Member http://www.coodenbeachgc.com/ Nike Covert 2.0 VRS Driver, 3 & 5 woods.TaylorMade RSi1 4-LWYes Tracy Putter. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE KNOB.

i head to the range 2-3 times a week at the minute, about an hour or more at a time, and also because i cant head out for 9 holes after work at this time of year.
    Depending on how I feel, or if I have something I am working on, I usually aim for the 50, 75, 100 yard boards, then we have 35 year flag, 65 yard flag and a 85 yard flag so I use my 3 diff wedges and go at them. maybe hit 30-40 balls at them, then i'll either go through the bag, or target 150 flag etc.
    Other times I'll head down and play 9/18 in my head, so I will warm up, with say 15-20 balls, then I'll play my course in my head, so i'll pull driver, then maybe hit 6/7 iron picking targets, then 'ill move to the 2nd tee in my head and continue on!
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x
    Ping G400 3 wood Tour 65 x
    Taylormade 2 iron Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tours Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS V90
    Scotty Cameron Newport M1

Assistant Pro

Really depends on what you are doing or want to get out of going to the range.

If you just want to keep your swing going then I always prefer a short sharp session, 30 balls with a mixture of long and short clubs. You don't hit many full shots during a round so no need to be hitting 100s of balls just for the sake of it. It's all about feel for me as well, it's important to have a feel for your swing and strike more so than the actual result of the flight, especially off mats which don't give a proper shot compared to off grass.

If you have had a lesson and have some drills or work ons then you just need to plug away, it isn't always fun but training rarely is in any sport but it is important. Likewise if you want to work on something then you need to practice, but remember quality practice is better than quantity, get your pre-shot routine right, aim at something and concentrate on a good quality practice session. If you do that then you don't have to be there long.
    Golf Club - Hampton Court Palace GC Hanidcap - 8.0 In the bag - Driver: Titleist 909D3 3-Wood: Mizuno T-Zoid Irons: 2-9 Ping i3+ Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 54 and 60*Putter: Wilson Staff 8802