47. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

34 72.34%
  • no

13 27.66%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dashcams

Re: Dashcams

If dashcams help reduce insurance premiums for all us 'considerate' drivers through reductions in scams/fraudulent claims then it's a good thing imo.

I get my vehicle through our company leasing scheme and recently they have decided all their new vehicles will have dashcams fitted. I think we are headed this way for all.

Only issue I've got is clutter about the windscreen but if they can get them small and fitted behind the rearviewmirror that'd be good.

Money List Winner

Every car manufacturer is moving towards some form of autonomous driving, where you need a combination of gps, cameras and Lidar to work out where you are on the road and what is around you. So soon this information will replace the need for a specific dash cams.

Also as others have mentioned, they only show one view of the situation. They may show someone overtaking quickly and swerving in a bit at the last minute, but they may not show the fact the car that has been overtaken has been pithering along at 20 mph in a 40 zone for 2 miles holding up a stream of traffic. So difficult to justify the need to have them 'as standard' based on the usefulness of them.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Every car manufacturer is moving towards some form of autonomous driving, where you need a combination of gps, cameras and Lidar to work out where you are on the road and what is around you. So soon this information will replace the need for a specific dash cams.

Also as others have mentioned, they only show one view of the situation. They may show someone overtaking quickly and swerving in a bit at the last minute, but they may not show the fact the car that has been overtaken has been pithering along at 20 mph in a 40 zone for 2 miles holding up a stream of traffic. So difficult to justify the need to have them 'as standard' based on the usefulness of them.
    I agree with what you are saying but in the example you have quoted the fault doesn't change due to the fact another driver was driving slowly. I have just done a driver awareness course and it was stressed in no uncertain terms that the speed limit is the maximum speed, not the compulsory speed.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    I agree with what you are saying but in the example you have quoted the fault doesn't change due to the fact another driver was driving slowly. I have just done a driver awareness course and it was stressed in no uncertain terms that the speed limit is the maximum speed, not the compulsory speed.
    I agree and it was just a random example that dash cams will only show a snapshot of most incidents. Excessively slow and hesitant driving at times when you are not expecting it can be also be dangerous driving. In reality you will always have the conflict between certain drivers who see the speed limit plus a certain percentage as OK, and those that see going 30 or 40% below it as fine. Go at 68 mph in the outside lane of most motorways and see how long you last before you have another car right up your jacksie.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    If dashcams help reduce insurance premiums for all us 'considerate' drivers through reductions in scams/fraudulent claims then it's a good thing imo.

I get my vehicle through our company leasing scheme and recently they have decided all their new vehicles will have dashcams fitted. I think we are headed this way for all.

Only issue I've got is clutter about the windscreen but if they can get them small and fitted behind the rearviewmirror that'd be good.
    Not doubting your driving skills but I am willing to bet a pound to a penny that everyone on here would consider themselves to be a considerate driver. No one has ever said , I'm the most inconsiderate driver in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Not doubting your driving skills but I am willing to bet a pound to a penny that everyone on here would consider themselves to be a considerate driver. No one has ever said , I'm the most inconsiderate driver in the world.
    Er, my last 8 cars have either been Audi's or BMW's. I must be inconsiderate!
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post

When someone claims you did something wrong and you point to your discrete dashcam, they dont hang around for the police, they leg it so it will never see a court room

You mean like this Bob?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnP7-1-W4VQ
    Last edited by Twire; 12-Feb-2018 at 13:42.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old.....We grow old because we stop playing.

Tour Winner

All for them, front and rear. Very useful data in the event you get hit.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Twire View Post
    Was this real ?

Quote Originally Posted by dewsweeper View Post
    Was this real ?
    Some think it was set up but that would be no comfort if it happened to you/wife/child/friend for real.

There are many more examples of the 'cash for crash' vids on youtube but as the language is quite colourful in places I wont link
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself