Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: Ball unplayable - play provisional instead?

As you have not yet put another ball in play you have all the options available to you.
    In fact you may still opt to (attempt?) to play it as it lies.

28/13 is guide
    Last edited by rulefan; 14-Feb-2018 at 10:31.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    As you have not yet put another ball in play you have all the options available to you.
    In fact you may still opt to (attempt?) to play it as it lies.
    Thought so - so the act of declaring a ball unplayable does not irrevocably make it so - and you can change your mind.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Just on this. What if..

Say you know that your ball is in a gorse bush but you cannot see it to play it and so you declare it unplayable. Clearly also you cannot take two club lengths from your ball position as you cannot see your ball and therefore do not know where it is exactly - so you have to go for S&D. But before your 5 minutes search time is up, and before you put a new ball into play under S&D, your ball is found?

I am assuming the FACT that you declared it unplayable, and when you did the only course of action is S&D, is then superseded by the FACT that the ball is found and a two club length drop or drop back in line both become options.
    I think that a ruling by decision in a similar situation covers this and the unplayable rules supercede the ball lost ruling.

18-2/30

Player Who States He Will Proceed Under Unplayable Ball Rule Subsequently Assesses Possibility of Playing Ball as It Lies

Q.A player's ball is in a bad lie and in such a position that he considers that he may move the ball in breach of Rule 18-2 when he gets close to it. As provided in Decision 18-2/27, the player may protect himself against penalty by stating that he will proceed under Rule 28. The player makes such an announcement, but, upon reaching the area where his ball lies and finding that the ball did not move, takes a club and begins to assess the possibility of playing the ball as it lies. What would be the ruling if the player then accidentally caused the ball to move?

A.Despite the fact that the player has stated that he intends to proceed under Rule 28, if it becomes clear from the player's actions that he is considering playing the ball as it lies, the Committee should rule that the player's intention to deem the ball unplayable has ceased and, therefore, the player would incur a penalty stroke under Rule 18-2 if he thereafter caused his ball to move. (Formerly 18-2a/27.5)
    Handicap 9 (was 6, now showing my age)An absolute miss mash of clubs

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Thought so - so the act of declaring a ball unplayable does not irrevocably make it so - and you can change your mind.
    Under rule 28 the player only "deems" a ball to be unplayable . This doesn't confer any special or formal status upon the ball - just that the player acceptsthe ball to be in a given siuation under which he has options for relief. Until the player performs an irrevocable action, the ball is just sitting there waiting to be dealt with.
    Handicap Challenge - 18.9 (9 April)
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
    Under rule 28 the player only "deems" a ball to be unplayable . This doesn't confer any special or formal status upon the ball - just that the player acceptsthe ball to be in a given siuation under which he has options for relief. Until the player performs an irrevocable action, the ball is just sitting there waiting to be dealt with.
    Yes. A ball can only be in one of two states, ie. 'in play' or 'not in play'. 'Unplayable' is not a defined status

Journeyman Pro

Yes. A ball can only be in one of two states, ie. 'in play' or 'not in play'. 'Unplayable' is not a defined status
    + 'lost'

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by drdel View Post
    + 'lost'
    In respect of rulefan's post, a lost ball is not an extra state. A lost ball is quite firmly in the "not in play" state.
    The uglier a manís legs are, the better he plays golf. HG Wells. I got nice legs...

I may have lost the plot a bit but do you not have to find your ball before you can claim it unplayable?
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    I may have lost the plot a bit but do you not have to find your ball before you can claim it unplayable?
    I agree with you.

It's a somewhat mute point but basically if you don't find it you are proceeding under 27 -1 not rule 28, and it's a lot easier all round to look at it that way!
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Tour Winner

Given that there is a Decision which says yes you can declare it unplayable without finding it, then I'd say no you don't need to find it.

And is there really any need to find a ball to deem it unplayable under rule 28?

Ok, if you don't find it you are obliged to proceed under rule 28a (not 28b or c) which in turn obliges you to proceed under 27-1 - which you could voluntarily choose to do anyway. So i agree it is somewhat a moot point.