Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Getting excited about scoring well in Winter...

Quote Originally Posted by therod View Post
    if I played a links course maybe the difference would be marginal, but parkland, winter vs summer is night & day
    In Scotland most courses are being protected due to lack of any growth and damage from frost as demonstrated by Clive the other day.

our place is much easier in winter at almost 600 yards shorter along with the greens being very receptive. only hole that isn't is our 7th with in summer is a 500 yards par 5 off the whites, which is played into the prevailing wind (a westerly) for some reason we play it 12 yards further forward as a par 4!!!!

If you find a nice day during winter with no wind and preferred lies, a golf course can play very easy indeed.

Its like throwing darts onto the greens at times.
    Titleist 915 D3 7.5*
    Titleist 915 15*
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid ( or ping I25 3 iron)
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Mizuno s 304 dare to dream putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--(2018)8.2...7.6...8.2....7.2..... 6.8

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    what is the normal CSS/SSS.

We are about that length in the summer but winter about 6000, and at that its quite easy, if it was the same as normal we would be RO every comp if we had any that is
    Just checked a few random comp results. Summer is usually 71/72, Dec/Jan was normally 73-75.
    Handicap progress:Sep '17. First ever handicap. 19.Oct: 18.1. > 17.8 > 18.1. Handicap Challenge: 94Tegsi 18.1 v Fish 16.8. 94Tegsi 18.1 v Dando 15.0

It really depends on the course. My old course is a lot shorter in places and scoring is much lower, people also use mats so makes it even easier.

My new course isn't much easier at all. Still pretty long with no run. Greens are soft though so very receptive.

Then I have played two open comps over winter, both on links, scored 27 points on both. Now the weather was horrible, really really windy and really really cold. Ball was going nowhere and was just really difficult to play. One of them the CSS was +3 and believe this was because the wind died down and the rain disappeared in the afternoon. The other was reduction only.

So it really is dependent on the course and also the conditions on the day.

For me, winter is just about keeping the swing ticking over, work on some swing changes but really I just want to strike the ball well. I don't get too caught up in the scoring but if I hit the ball well I am happy. Scores will come if you strike the ball well.

I wouldn't read too much into scoring really well in the winter but if you are hitting the ball well and swing feels good then you should be happy.
    H/C: 9.8 - Clandeboye Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland - Driver: Callaway GBB Epic Subzero. - 3 wood: Callaway XR16 - Hybrids: TM M1 2017 3 - TM RBZ Stage2 4. - Irons: Ping Ie1 5-PWWedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. - Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

I wouldn't go out in the winter if only rough bobbly winter greens with bucket cups are being used. I really do not see the point as what is really being achieved, your better off going to the range and have some good practice.

But my club back in old blighty did not go onto temp greens often in the winter and the course didn't play much shorter either. SO even though you lost roll on the fairway and the wind could be a pain, the greens where so soft it was like playing lawn darts. So for some players the course became easier as they could actually get the ball to stop on the greens and get closer to the hole. So what happened was the better players really did not see any advantage compared to the mid handicappers that could now attack holes.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............Mizuno MP18-MMC Fli Hi 19* KBS C-Taper lite Stiff............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Head Pro

Just play your game and don't worry about others!

Well done to them - everyone has different handicaps, targets or achievements! Their par may be your birdie!

Its about time more people got excited about golf!
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

Challenge Tour Pro

What sort of length are your courses and do these winter conditions have an effect on CSS if you are playing qual comps
    A bit over 6000 yards
    A bag of Ping sticks Member at Knole Park, Kent.

Challenge Tour Pro

The shorter course is often offset with zero roll, mud balls freezing temperatures and wind chilll when you can barely feel your pinkies, so I'd say it takes just as much skill anytime of the year to shoot a good score as our winter league tends to show where winning scores are similar all year round.
    : TM M2: TM V-Steel 13*: Titleist 910 21*: Cleveland 588cb 4-PW: Titleist Vokey SM4 52/8 & 58/9: Ping Redwood AnswerH/C 5

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger man View Post
    The shorter course is often offset with zero roll, mud balls freezing temperatures and wind chilll when you can barely feel your pinkies, so I'd say it takes just as much skill anytime of the year to shoot a good score as our winter league tends to show where winning scores are similar all year round.
    its alright for you soft southerners with your warm temps down there.

Challenge Tour Pro

its alright for you soft southerners with your warm temps down there.
    I'd take a brisk day up there on the links over a soggy parkland mud fest any day.
    : TM M2: TM V-Steel 13*: Titleist 910 21*: Cleveland 588cb 4-PW: Titleist Vokey SM4 52/8 & 58/9: Ping Redwood AnswerH/C 5