Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Cake and Eat It

Re: Cake and Eat It

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    This really IS becoming a 'Art50 thread in disguise' thread! I remember providing that link to counter the same argument!!

But never mind the (real) statistics...just keep on pounding the "it's all down to immigrants" rhetoric!

Disclaimer...I may be slightly biased as I'm an immigrant - who has been here for 40 years, so will likely start to extract from instead of contributing to the UK economy!
    My Original point was related to the strain on the NHS and how it has become popular with Politicians and the media to put the blame solely on the aging population, I pointed out that the increased population over a short period of time has also exasperated the situation but there is little mention of this due to the fear of being branded racist. It wasn't meant to have any direct context to Article 50 but I agree it could be construed in a very extruded train of thought to be associated to the reason many people voted Brexit. That was not the reason for the thread though.
    Play it cool Trigger!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SocketRocket View Post
    My Original point was related to the strain on the NHS and how it has become popular with Politicians and the media to put the blame solely on the aging population, I pointed out that the increased population over a short period of time has also exasperated the situation but there is little mention of this due to the fear of being branded racist. It wasn't meant to have any direct context to Article 50 but I agree it could be construed in a very extruded train of thought to be associated to the reason many people voted Brexit. That was not the reason for the thread though.
    You are telling us that you think that GPs and others cannot bring themselves to tell the truth about all of the reasons and the real pressures that create the waiting lists and the pressure on services?

I have more faith in the medical profession.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    You are telling us that you think that GPs and others cannot bring themselves to tell the truth about all of the reasons and the real pressures that create the waiting lists and the pressure on services?

Why would you tell the truth when you could lose your job for doing so.

If any GP said there was immense pressure because of immigration there would be backlash...

Easier just protect yourself and sit on the fence on issues. Same goes for politicans and most other roles.

Can you point out where I mentioned GPs. They are not Politicians or the Media
    Play it cool Trigger!

Employers CHOOSE to pay what they pay; Employees ACCEPT what they are offered or don't take the job. Nobody ASKS to work for the minimum or low wages - so the argument goes. Taxpayer funds low paid up to an accepetable living standard.

And so to Brexit Dividend #2. Flow of cheap Eastern European labour much reduced. Employers forced to pay higher wages to fill vacancies as indigenous UK labour pool refuse to work for pittance on offer. Result? Poorer Employers - Happier Employees.

Or, if employer was just managing to keep going on basis of low wages, either: NO increase in wages - plus vacancies as eastern Europeans leave and indigenous Brits unwilling to work for pittance; redundancies to cover increased wage costs; or out of business.

Increased wages as immigration falls - a Brexit Dividend double edged sword or a mirage
    To deal with your second point first. Take the job at minimum wage or don't earn money at all. And if its an immigrant, they don't get the same level of benefits as a Brit, which 'forces' them to take the job even more.

The first point; a bit anecdotal but when I worked in the NHS we had store man on minimum wage. He got the then known, income supplement and housing benefit. It galled me no end that an employee of the state wasn't paid enough and needed support of benefits to have a living wage.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    I was pointing out that yes, you can do without quick delivery of goods and services in most cases. However, it is bloody useful at times and that is becoming accepted now and saying, lets go back 20 years when we had to wait 5 days to get anything, is not going to happen. But the supply of cheap food, of which the supply of cheap labour to pick and pack it is a major part, https://www.ft.com/content/425f42c8-...4-932067fbf946 , is pretty essential to a lot of families.

Although I remain very uncomfortable about the use of what amounts to slave labour within agriculture and supply chain... I feel there's not a lot I can do about it... Would appear all political parties [wrongly] apply a default position of turning a blind eye...

With all the other 'stuff' if it is really that important be prepared to divvy up a few more pences or for Bezos to accept lower margins...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Quote Originally Posted by SocketRocket View Post
    That may not have been your intention, but it seems to have morphed into another A50 one anyway!

I don't trust politicians - of any party! - any further than I can throw them - and I'm an 11 stone weaklng! Do you trust them?

As for the NHS....It will always be a bottomless pit! It will always suck up (and demand) as much funding (and more) as any government can possibly provide! That's simply the nature of 'the beast' - and the sooner we recognise/admit this and provide appropriate metrics, the sooner we can truly measure progress/performance (or lack thereof!)!
    Last edited by Foxholer; 12-Feb-2018 at 18:41.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    MacGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Quote Originally Posted by Foxholer View Post
    That may not have been your intention, but it seems to have morphed into another A50 one anyway!

I don't trust politicians - of any party! - any further than I can throw them - and I'm an 11 stone weaklng! Do you trust them?

As for the NHS....It will always be a bottomless pit! It will always suck up (and demand) as much funding (and more) as any government can possibly provide! That's simply the nature of 'the beast' - and the sooner we recognise/admit this and provide appropriate metrics, the sooner we can truly measure progress/performance (or lack thereof!)!
    I agree with that.
    Play it cool Trigger!