Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Cake and Eat It

Re: Cake and Eat It

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Employers CHOOSE to pay what they pay; Employees ACCEPT what they are offered or don't take the job. Nobody ASKS to work for the minimum or low wages - so the argument goes. Taxpayer funds low paid up to an accepetable living standard.

And so to Brexit Dividend #2. Flow of cheap Eastern European labour much reduced. Employers forced to pay higher wages to fill vacancies as indigenous UK labour pool refuse to work for pittance on offer. Result? Poorer Employers - Happier Employees.

Or, if employer was just managing to keep going on basis of low wages, either: NO increase in wages - plus vacancies as eastern Europeans leave and indigenous Brits unwilling to work for pittance; redundancies to cover increased wage costs; or out of business.

Increased wages as immigration falls - a Brexit Dividend double edged sword or a mirage
    I would suggest that many of the services provided on the back of 'cheap labour' we could well survive without...

Do we really need every meal cooked for us and delivered directly to our door?
    Do we really need every single item purchased from Amazon delivered, on an individual basis, within two hours?
    I am perfectly capable of washing my own vehicle...
    And, 40thousand+ less cabs on London's road will make for a whole lot better driving experience...

What we need to be concentrating on is properly resourcing those already here...
    Take the kids/grandkids [of the good folk from our Commonwealth that came here in the post war decades] off ignore and provide them with the proper opportunities, they deserve. rather than keep on importing more people because our government/businesses are too lazy to fund/provide proper education and training schemes... For far too long they've been allowed [due to our membership of the EU] to take the easy option...

Oh... And, one phrase that REALLY rings my bell is 'we need immigration because British folk are workshy'...
    Last edited by MegaSteve; 12-Feb-2018 at 16:54.
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Deflected to the Brexit £350m... sorry but you appear to not want to accept that the councils have money but just don't want to spend it. Austerity could well do with being ended but don't put all the blame on central govt for lack of infrastructure spending. But that doesn't address local councils creating a shortfall in their spend when they have more than enough money to cover any and all needs.

The "we can't afford to give council workers a decent wage increase" is at best disingenuous, and smacks in some cases of "lets make central govt look like the baddies." Would a Labour council really do that...?
    No, but a Tory run one might https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/ne...hire-1-8980785
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MegaSteve View Post
    I would suggest that many of the services provided on the back of 'cheap labour' we could well survive without...

Do we really need every single item purchased from Amazon delivered, on an individual basis, within two hours?
    And, 40thousand+ less cabs on London's road will make for a whole lot better driving experience...

What we need to be concentrating on is properly resourcing those already here...
    Take the kids/grandkids [of the good folk from our Commonwealth that came here in the post war decades] off ignore and provide them with the proper opportunities, they deserve. rather than keep on importing more people because our government/businesses are too lazy to fund/provide proper education and training schemes... For far too long they've been allowed [due to our membership of the EU] to take the easy option...

Oh... And, one phrase that REALLY rings my bell is 'we need immigration because British folk are workshy'...
    Best of luck if that happens the next time you visit Tescos then.

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SocketRocket View Post
    As a foot note to your post. It's a typical responce from you and many others where you play the man rather than the ball. Try to keep discussion on subject rather trying to discredit a contrary opinion with insults.
    I agree with you @SR
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

I suspect that your acceptance of lower levels of service may not be acceptable to the majority of Leave voters and not what they voted for.

As it happens I might well take the same view as you on these specific points on what I can do without. But that's me.

Some British workers may - like Tory and Leave voters - be a little shy at coming forward - but I have heard a fair number of employers across the service industries explain why they depend upon immigrants. Local UK labour does not apply; does not turn up for interviews; or disappears never to come back. And the reasons given by indigenous labour include, principally, low wages driven down by Eastern Europeans. Well let's see when the flow of that labour dries up.
    Last edited by SwingsitlikeHogan; 12-Feb-2018 at 17:10.

And last medal of the year (Oct) saw me play to handicap but CSS was +1 so that was me down 0.2 from 8.3 to 8.1

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Best of luck if that happens the next time you visit Tescos then.
    I see you overlooked my use of 'many'...

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I suspect that your acceptance of lower levels of service may not be acceptable to the majority of Leave voters and not what they voted for.

As it happens I might well take the same view as you on these specific points on what I can do without. But that's me.
    I would suggest the vast majority of leavers just wanted out and weren't too concerned with the level of 'service' they may or may not get in the event of the vote going their way...

Money List Winner

I see you overlooked my use of 'many'...
    I was pointing out that yes, you can do without quick delivery of goods and services in most cases. However, it is bloody useful at times and that is becoming accepted now and saying, lets go back 20 years when we had to wait 5 days to get anything, is not going to happen. But the supply of cheap food, of which the supply of cheap labour to pick and pack it is a major part, https://www.ft.com/content/425f42c8-...4-932067fbf946 , is pretty essential to a lot of families.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Ah - so not just Surrey CC - struggling to provide services to all us hard up and struggling Surrey residents (though I suspect more sympathy heading Derbyshire way than Surrey way )

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/sur...-know-14270980

Job done

I would suggest the vast majority of leavers just wanted out and weren't too concerned with the level of 'service' they may or may not get in the event of the vote going their way...
    You might think so - if it was thought about - let's see how it plays out

Job done