Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf fitness ??

Blackballed

Re: Golf fitness ??

Quote Originally Posted by SaintHacker View Post
    The aching is lactic acid buildinv up in your muscles. Weights won't do a lot for that. Cardio will be of more benefit , on something like a cross trainer that involves the shoulder muscles , followed by some good stretching will be far more beneficial.
    Hmmm....never thought about the lactic acid. It's twice as bad when I play or practise two days on the trot. My current lack of fitness is appalling.

Assistant Pro

Something i've never given much though, i tend to only get tired after hole 25 or so, or if i'm really trying to race around. There is a bit of a distinction between being "golf fit", and training to improve your golf, i'd only want to worry about being golf fit being honest.

Has anyone given speed golf a go, because that sounds like a good bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Just back in from a 7 mile run. I do it alternate days, fitting in an hour swimming lengths on the other days. Thinking of getting a bike, and turning it into an iron man thing.
    Who are you and what have you done with Brian!!??
    HCP 2018: 3.6 (Start)-> 5.4 (High)-> 3.1 (Low)
    Selby GC

I did a weekly Pilates session for about 18 months up to last summer when I had a prolonged bout of vertigo. It was really great as the lady who ran the class knew that about half the class were veteran golfers
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Assistant Pro

I row 15,000 to 20,000 metres a week on an indoor concept 2 erg. I hate the thing but it makes a huge difference to core strength and lower back flexibility. Just my feet that ache after a round now until I wear in my new Ecco shoes.

Head Pro

The TPI screening has highlighted how I am lacking in mobility, stability and balance. My swing faults are due to my body limitations.

Stamina is ok, I can play 36 holes in a day but it’s everything else that’s a problem!
    In the bag:
    Taylormade M1 9.5 Deg
    Taylormade M1 17 Deg
    Fourteen Hi-858 2 Iron
    Titleist 716 TMB 3 Iron
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW + GW
    Vokey SM6 54 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S

http://www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Hmmm....never thought about the lactic acid. It's twice as bad when I play or practise two days on the trot. My current lack of fitness is appalling.
    Are you carrying some unnecessary timber and I don't mean a 5 hybrid. That's essential

You shouldn't really feel that bad from an 18 hole dander. Especially when using an electric trolley.
    Titleist 915 D3 7.5*
    Titleist 915 15*
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid ( or ping I25 3 iron)
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Vokey SM 5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Mizuno s 304 dare to dream putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--(2018)8.2...7.6...8.2....7.2..... 6.8

I started stregth training a while ago, mostly barbell trainng, about two to three times a week. I don't do it exclusively for golf, but I must admit that hitting the ball a bit futher was maybe my main motivation for starting (By now I am a bit addicted to it in it's own right, though ... there is something pretty cool and empowering about lifting, especially for a woman) and the largest part of my training plan comes from golf fitness tips. Not sure if my motivation will hold up when summer comes, though and the choice is between the gym or a few holes of golf after work, so it might just be something I reserve for the winter months. I've also changed my diet to a very low carb high fat one. Again, that was not neccessarily prompted by golf, actually I started that in an attempt to battle migraine attacks, but I find that it helps me enormously to keep an even energy level during a round of golf.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra BafflerXL 3 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 25° Hybrid, Cobra King F8 irons 6 to SW, Odyssey White Hot #5

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    Are you carrying some unnecessary timber and I don't mean a 5 hybrid. That's essential

You shouldn't really feel that bad from an 18 hole dander. Especially when using an electric trolley.
    A Dundee Taxi driver carrying extra lumber NEVER
    Mizuno MP 18's muscleback TM M4 DriverTM M2 3 Wood Glenearn Golf Club

Blackballed

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post

I'm not slim, just think my fitness is shocking.