Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why do we do it!!!

Was at the range last night, chatting with a couple of the lads whilst hitting balls. Ended up hitting one the guys callaway steelhead irons, now, I hit my mizunos well, they arent the easiest to hit, but I usually hit them well. Anyhow, tried the callaways, they arent as pretty as mine, but oh dear, they were too easy to hit, they just went straight, good flight, hit a few, one with a slight mishit and it went the same way, decent flight-straight! it was like I was cheating! Now I have an itch to get some :0
    so..... why do we do it, try other sticks,or is it just me!
    Secondly, do we make the game harder for ourselves using pretty sticks, instead of ones that are ugly but easier to hit??
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x
    Ping G400 3 wood Tour 65 x
    Taylormade 2 iron Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tours Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS V90
    Scotty Cameron Newport M1

Money List Winner

Re: Why do we do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JT77 View Post
    Secondly, do we make the game harder for ourselves using pretty sticks, instead of ones that are ugly but easier to hit??
    Many do....but then again some continue to use a driver when they can't control it at all, as well as carrying 4 wedges they are equally capable of skulking at any moment.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

Was at the range last night, chatting with a couple of the lads whilst hitting balls. Ended up hitting one the guys callaway steelhead irons, now, I hit my mizunos well, they arent the easiest to hit, but I usually hit them well. Anyhow, tried the callaways, they arent as pretty as mine, but oh dear, they were too easy to hit, they just went straight, good flight, hit a few, one with a slight mishit and it went the same way, decent flight-straight! it was like I was cheating! Now I have an itch to get some :0
    I use Callaway Steelheads, got them a month ago. Still getting used to them at the moment but they are coming good. This Sunday just gone I had a 130-something yards, normally a 9 iron but as I was in the rough and it was freezing I went a club up to 8 iron. Ended up ballooning it 20 yards over the back and onto the next tee! So maybe they're too easy to hit. Someone like me needs all the help I can get though, whereas playing off 7 you can more afford to pick your irons based on what's pleasing to the eye I'm sure.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

You could make golf easier by playing off the red tees, or only play when conditions are perfect or get a few extra shots on your handicap or get one of those ride on buggies etc etc

But where would be the challenge and the satisfaction when it comes together.

I would get more enjoyment because I've practiced, not because I've bought new clubs.

Some people want to buy clubs that suit their swing. Sadly for some it's a long, expensive and endless journey.
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

I certainly did. I got to 10 handicap and bought some Mizzys, never hit them as well consistently as my GI irons and then reverted back to the old clubs. Recently I had a Titleist fitting and went for AP1's, I don't intend to go back to hard to hit irons again.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

yep I gues it is true that people can carry 4 wedges, and not know which one to thin! HAHA

Playing off 7 is fine, and yes I can hit my irons well Orikoru, its a strength in my game, but if I went for a more forgiving iron, could my iron play improve even more? I dont know, maybe.. the point I guess is, could I get lower with help for the sticks? i suppose there is one way to find out, but do I want to sacrifice my lovely mizunos? I really dont know!
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x

yep I gues it is true that people can carry 4 wedges, and not know which one to thin! HAHA

Playing off 7 is fine, and yes I can hit my irons well Orikoru, its a strength in my game, but if I went for a more forgiving iron, could my iron play improve even more? I dont know, maybe.. the point I guess is, could I get lower with help for the sticks? i suppose there is one way to find out, but do I want to sacrifice my lovely mizunos? I really dont know!
    You're using JPX 900 Tours (according to your sig), did you ever try the Hot Metal version for a comparison? Still going more down the game improvers route, but less of a drastic switch since they'll still have a similar look to what you're used to?
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams XTD Ti hybrid (20)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

It's a mute point. Some like to look down on a nice thin edge and try to work to get better with them. Others want to score well and are happy to use the equipment to do it. Like in any sport, we all have different abilities, no matter how much we practice. So if I can get the equipment that will help me achieve that then I'll use it. I have the Callaway XR irons that I got fitted for a couple of years ago. They've helped me get my handicap down and won me a few comps. I could have also got the XR Oversize but I just didn't like the look of them from above. Just a bit too clunky so I guess I'm as guilty as the rest.
    In putters though, looks matter less to me. Take a look at my putter history and they're not aesthetically pleasing but by gum they worked well.

Love these irons that go high and straight with a huge cavity back.... until I need to hit a long low draw out of trees!
    M2 driver, looking for new fairways, M4 hybrids and Ping i210 irons.
    Scotty putter....

Too much work, not enough golf!

Bob, I practice, I hit the range a couple times a week, or head head out to play, I have lessons too, currently have a block of 10 booked for this year, thats not my point, yes I get satisfaction from hitting the ball well, when I get a lovely flight good shape etc, but you know what gives me more pleasure? going low, thats the aim, off competition tees, shooting the lowest number I can on any given day. But maybe I didnt make myself clear, its not about the make and model of things per say, it could be any make or model, I was wondering if its just me who gets itchy feet when trying other clubs, and do people buy things that are aesthetically pleasing over practicality? Chris made a good point about getting to 10, then getting less forgiving clubs, so why do we do it? I dont know the reason, thats why I asked, and should we take all the help we can to shoot lower scores?
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x