Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf in Florida

Assistant Pro

Golf in Florida

Hi all

Possibly visiting Florida again this summer, not sure where yet. Done the parks etc and the wife and kids are happy lounging round the pool on days when we aren't out and about.

I've played 18 once before in Florida and while it was quite an experience (an armadillo ran across the fairway as I was about to tee off on one hole!) it was obviously a hot and sticky round but great fun.

Has anyone got experience of staying on a golf resort or near one, ideally I would like somewhere that...

• has a 9 hole par 3 which is probably more than enough most days before it gets too hot, but an option of 9 or 18 on a full course good as well.
    • They rent clubs at reasonable rates for the week.
    • You have a chance of meeting up with other single golfers who have left the family sun bathing.

Thoughts appreciated.

Assistant Pro

Re: Golf in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Hi all

Possibly visiting Florida again this summer, not sure where yet. Done the parks etc and the wife and kids are happy lounging round the pool on days when we aren't out and about.

I've played 18 once before in Florida and while it was quite an experience (an armadillo ran across the fairway as I was about to tee off on one hole!) it was obviously a hot and sticky round but great fun.

Has anyone got experience of staying on a golf resort or near one, ideally I would like somewhere that...

• has a 9 hole par 3 which is probably more than enough most days before it gets too hot, but an option of 9 or 18 on a full course good as well.
    • They rent clubs at reasonable rates for the week.
    • You have a chance of meeting up with other single golfers who have left the family sun bathing.

Thoughts appreciated.
    Maybe a Disney resort ?

Disney has a 9 hole course and also a couple of former PGA courses . Also amongst the Disney resorts you’ve got Waldorf Astoria and Tranquilo GC which are great courses . Play myself every July and your indeed right . Need to wring my knickers out after a round . I can’t think of any Par3 courses in Orlando.
    Last edited by GMC1981; 25-Jan-2018 at 13:45.

Journeyman Pro

Google Bella Piazza on US27 great place to stay big pool . Games room,gym. Five min walk to eating and couple of bars . Publix for shopping.
    If you stay on a course it’s more expensive.
    Highlands Reserve is next door plus a host of courses nearby.
    its 30mins from Disney just far enough away.
    We stay here every year its got everything a family needs 2/3/4 bed condos.
    we book through Golden Florida .
    If you need any more info I will help if I can.
    Cant think of any 9holers except Disney oak trail.

Polo park in davenport right near highlands reserve is a 9 holer. Never played it myself

Money List Winner

Stayed at Orange Lake resort a couple of times, indeed met up with a fellow forumer HawkeyeMS last time I was there as he was also there, and had a very enjoyable round and drink afterwards with him and his family. There are a couple of courses on the resort, but last time I was there the main one needed a bit of TLC, but it was fine for me. Am staying at Champions Gate this year so will see what that's like. And they will mostly pair you up with someone else so you make a 3 or 4 ball.
    Tinkety tonk old fruit, and down with the Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker Khan View Post
    Stayed at Orange Lake resort a couple of times, indeed met up with a fellow forumer HawkeyeMS last time I was there as he was also there, and had a very enjoyable round and drink afterwards with him and his family. There are a couple of courses on the resort, but last time I was there the main one needed a bit of TLC, but it was fine for me. Am staying at Champions Gate this year so will see what that's like. And they will mostly pair you up with someone else so you make a 3 or 4 ball.
    I've confused myself in the past on this one. I am staying near to Champions Gate this summer, went a couple of years ago in the same area but didn't try to play then. This time my son and I may look to grab a round. Are there just two courses there, the Greg Norman ones, or are there others also called Champions Gate that are not as good? I appreciate this sounds daft but I have heard so much conflicting advice regarding golf in Florida that I wanted to clarify this.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdouble View Post
    Polo park in davenport right near highlands reserve is a 9 holer. Never played it myself
    You have the east and west courses there,

We hired a villa on the East Course and I played the course a fair bit, really enjoyable.
    10 hcp and rising.

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    I've confused myself in the past on this one. I am staying near to Champions Gate this summer, went a couple of years ago in the same area but didn't try to play then. This time my son and I may look to grab a round. Are there just two courses there, the Greg Norman ones, or are there others also called Champions Gate that are not as good? I appreciate this sounds daft but I have heard so much conflicting advice regarding golf in Florida that I wanted to clarify this.
    Champions Gate has a couple of courses which have been there years and are decent. There is a new one called Champions Gate country club which is opened no more than 2 or 3 years and it’s also decent

Ryder Cup Winner

Villas at Grand Cypress has 3 9 hole courses and 1 18 hole course on its complex and all very good. The golf channel film many ads and articles here.

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Champions gate has two courses the National 6/10 and the International the better course 8/10.
    These courses are Green Norman’s creations. At the Omni resort very nice hotel.
    Very overpriced for what they are.

There is a new Champions Gate Golf Club right next door very confusing I know.
    This is a really good course 9/10 but it’s not cheap .
    There is no clubhouse yet , portakabin reception .
    Dont let that put you off the course is awesome and would be my choice of the three.

If your staying in this area try Southern Dunes 20min drive on us27.

Polo park is a nine hole but not the best it’s lined by villas very close to the fairways.