Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Fashionable clubs ?

Quote Originally Posted by merv79 View Post
    I carry a 60 degree wedge but I only use it from bunkers or if I need to play a shot over a bunker or something with little green to work with.

When chipping I am always thinking about having the first bounce landing on the green as close as possible to where I am playing from, and letting it run out. So if i am near the edge of the green and the pin is a way on the green, i will use a 7 iron and use a putting grip, and follow this methodology up to 54 degree if I have little green to work with, as mentioned very rarely will I chip with a 60 unless a need to hit over trouble.

Players that automatically take a particular club are making things harder for themselves I believe. Different shots call for different clubs and that's why we are allowed 14 of them!
    If you had a half decent short game I would listen to your advice.....

ps....can I have a free lesson on Saturday?

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    If you had a half decent short game I would listen to your advice.....

ps....can I have a free lesson on Saturday?
    No you can't because I don't know about you but I am playing on Sunday!
    In the bag:

Taylormade M1 9.5 Deg
    Taylormade M1 17 Deg
    Titleist 816 H2 19 Deg
    Fourteen Hi-858 2 Iron
    Titleist 712U 3 Iron
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW + GW
    Vokey SM6 54 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    http://www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by merv79 View Post
    No you can't because I don't know about you but I am playing on Sunday!
    Haha I just checked the emails. Can I have a free lesson on Sunday.....pretty please?

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    Haha I just checked the emails. Can I have a free lesson on Sunday.....pretty please?
    You have a lot of confidence in my teaching ability to help where some of the best short game coaches have struggled??

My advice is just don't miss any greens!
    In the bag:

Taylormade M1 9.5 Deg
    Taylormade M1 17 Deg
    Titleist 816 H2 19 Deg
    Fourteen Hi-858 2 Iron
    Titleist 712U 3 Iron
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW + GW
    Vokey SM6 54 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    http://www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk/

Head Pro

I think you need to be careful with generalisations. Not all high caps are bad chippers with higher lofted wedges. I carry a GW, SW and LW. I use all of them most rounds and rarely chip with anything lower than my PW. I play of 16 and would be considered a decent enough chipper. I expect to get up and down at least couple of times every round....last round out I got up and down 6 times out of 7. I rarely totally duff any chip. My putting is much weaker.

I agree that its probably easier to learn to chip initially with 7-9 iron and there is probably less errors in doing so, but I personally know I score better using 3/4 wedges depending on the shot in front of me. I have carried a 60 degree for years now and over the last 2/3 years I would say I am very accurate with it. Never use it for anything outside 20/30 yards. It is never my go to club for chipping from any distance, but there are shots where it will out perform any other club. Maybe use it 1-3 times a round max, sometimes never. Not all high caps are dodgy chippers.

Play whatever gives you the better chance, regardless of handicap, may that be a 7 iron or a lob wedge

I'm a mid handicapper with well documented chipping issues and carry a PW, 52 and 58. The logic is simple. It feels my distance needs for my game from 100 yards (PW and a smooth swing) down to 60 yards (smooth 58 degree SW) and I can play the inbetween distances well enough. I did have a 52, 56 and 60 combination but the 60 was no good for my game and cost too many shots so I changed. I tend to vary my clubs for chipping depending on lie, distance and feel the OP is way off the mark with the comments. With lofts getting stronger these other club are a necessity