Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Assistant Pro

Re: From 40yds and in question.

When you are looking to hit 40 yard pitch, I think you need to start to have a slight wrist hinge.

i would say the most important thing to feel is your chest rotating on the downswing, exaggerate the move to get your chest facing the target, I feel like the hands stay out of it and it’s a body release. Almost like the hinge and hold that Mickelson has talked about before, slight wrist hinge going back then fire the chest through.

When the ground is wet and strike feels more challenging, I feel like I shorten the backswing slightly and then just turn the chest through, the last thing I want is a longer swing and decelerate or get wristy at impact.
    In the bag:

Taylormade M1 9.5 Deg
    Taylormade M1 17 Deg
    Titleist 816 H2 19 Deg
    Fourteen Hi-858 2 Iron
    Titleist 712U 3 Iron
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW + GW
    Vokey SM6 54 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    http://www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk/

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Slime View Post
    Just to fill in some details before my question.
    I played on Sunday on a pretty damp course but no temp greens.
    I shot 27 points and then I counted up my duffed chips.
    16 duffed chips ........................ and I mean duffed.
    I'm talking from 40yds and in and a duffed chip is one that fails to get at least near the green.
    Some only went a few yards and three of them went about 3 inches with my club sliding straight under the ball which was on a pretty muddy bare lie!!!!
    On one par 3 my tee shot finished about 10 feet from the green, my first putt was my 5th shot!
    So, here's the question;
    When pitching or chipping from 40yds and in should I prevent my wrists from breaking?
    Please all give me the same answer.
    It sounds like also you might have some issues due to lateral movement and weight shifting.

Unlike full shots, with chipping and shorter pitches lateral movement will cause inconsistency of strike, so you want to feel like your weight is favouring your left side and then keep it there through the swing, like you could almost hit shots with your right foot off the ground.
    In the bag:

Taylormade M1 9.5 Deg
    Taylormade M1 17 Deg
    Titleist 816 H2 19 Deg
    Fourteen Hi-858 2 Iron
    Titleist 712U 3 Iron
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW + GW
    Vokey SM6 54 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    http://www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk/

Club Champion

I find that no wrist break is fine for short chips but does not work for me beyond a certain distance. For the longer shots I like the hinge and hold. There is a great butch harmon video on this on YT.

Assistant Pro

I had a lesson about 2 years ago on pitching and found zero wrist hinge with simply rotating through helped me immensely. I ending up by doing this using the bounce of the club more and striking it much better with a nicer trajectory.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by r0wly86 View Post
    When you're chipping you're wrists shouldn't break, it should feel similar to a putting stroke.
    Was gong to suggest this, try playing it like a putt.

edit: posted before I saw Bob's vid - he's better qualified than me to answer.
    Last edited by need_my_wedge; 16-Jan-2018 at 09:05.

Just my 2c

Its a confidence thing, find somewhere to practice the kind of shot you're having a problem with, think back to when you wouldn't have a problem with this kind of shot and think in the same way. What works for one guy wont work for everyone. Once you've figured out the best way to play it, practice it and have trust in it once out on the course.

I bet after a few duffed chips, the only thing on your mind was another duffed chip?
    2017 M1 10.5° Driver - 2017 M1 3W 17° HL - 2017 M1 3 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX850 forged - RTX 3.0 50°, 54°, 58° - TM Red Spider Tour - 12.5 @ MerristWood

One word.
    Turn.
    I really struggled with my short game and only improved my strike when I was taught to turn through the shot. Before then it was all duffs and thins.
    intolerance will not be tolerated

Ive found with chipping and pitching, its all about the take away.you get better results with a wider , clubhead back straight action than if you turn it inside... if that makes sense.
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

I concentrate on one thing when I'm chipping and pitching and that's accelerating through the ball. Decelerating never ends well.
    @DanManley2501 on Twitter

Taylormade M1
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons 4-SW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52* Wedge
    Callaway MD3 58* Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
    Bushnell V4 Slope

Handicap: 14.0

Lancaster GC

Tour Rookie

At that distance, tend to keep arms straight and no wrist hinge/cocking.

Last year I even tried the same technique upto about 60 yards(shoulder height with SW, hard to swing any higher whilst keeping arms straight), surprising accurate and controlled. Not sure why I stopped it.